Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Love his nihilism.

The whole thing is very literary and plays out like a written monologue come to life.

I think that's very cool in the hands of this cast/director.

No complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Love his nihilism.

The whole thing is very literary and plays out like a written monologue come to life.

I think that's very cool in the hands of this cast/director.

No complaints.

To me it feels more like the frustrated musings of a tumblr user or something. It's my least favourite thing in the show. But so far it's really the only thing that I don't like. The fragmented narrative and all the ambiguities around it does feel very literary, almost like a Faulkner novel. I like the surreality of it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think they've really nailed it with the setting and cinematography, very eerie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

AdamD wrote: »
    I think they've really nailed it with the setting and cinematography, very eerie.

The setting is brilliant. If it was in some big metropolis, I don't think it would have the same effect. Having it out in the sticks in the South gives it a real sense of isolation. Like the encounter with the fisherman on Pelican Island or the brothel out in the middle of nowhere gives the feeling that anyone could be doing anything out in those places and no one would ever know about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I really feel it captures the time period by reminding me of the cop shows from years ago where all the actresses were either the wives/mistresses/victims. Woody Harrelson had a lot of funny lines in the episode. Really enjoying the partnership.

"Nobody here's gonna be splitting the atom." Great line

The best line was simething like;
    It was a revival church, so you can just imagine how it went with Mr Charisma.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Just on the nihilistic monologues, this thread here makes me cringe: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2356777/board/thread/225145490

Reminds me of: http://i.imgur.com/vPI7t5S.jpg

But when the show isn't so caught up in its own existential psuedo-intellectual whatevers it is probably one of the most compelling dramas I've ever watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I think I'm going to unfollow this thread because I'm really enjoying it the show and I don't want the seeds of doubt being planted by external sources. Ignorance is bliss :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

I've been surprised at how quickly I was absorbed into this series and by how much I'm enjoying it. I was frankly not very excited for it beforehand. Leading up to it I just saw another cop show, which bores me as a premise, but I should have given them more credit, because HBO.

The anthology format is interesting. It means they don't have to pace themselves and hold anything back, hook us for the next season, etc. They can fully play out everything they have in store and the full arc for all of these characters. It's worked well for American Horror Story, and True Detective is starting out a lot stronger than American Horror Story did.

The Louisiana setting is really hot right now. I guess it's the juxtaposition of backwoods rural squalor with cosmopolitan New Orleans, and Fundamentalist Christianity vs. Catholicism vs. Voodoo, with the backdrop of Katrina and other disasters. Lots of material.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I'm a simpleton when it comes to most things. I'm not going to slice this drama nineteen ways to ****. The acting is superb by both leads. The story is compelling. It looks great and has great atmosphere.

Just enjoy it without dissecting the **** out of it.

Nearly getting as bad as the Breaking Bad thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Heckler wrote: »
    I'm a simpleton when it comes to most things. I'm not going to slice this drama nineteen ways to ****. The acting is superb by both leads. The story is compelling. It looks great and has great atmosphere.

Just enjoy it without dissecting the **** out of it.

Why? You can do both y'know.
    These shows are usually scripted and laid out with incredible precision and detail, so it's fun to dig in to it. Mysteries like this in particular are also often full of hidden clues and redherrings for people to think about.
    Anyway the dense dialogue in this practically forces you to think about it a bit more or you miss a shítload of what's really going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Grimebox wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble hearing what they are saying at times? The southern accent is difficult
    ixoy wrote: »
    Nope me too. They also tend to mutter a bit. Haven't had this much fun trying to decipher accents since listening to native Baltimore accents in "The Wire".

The country louisianan accent is pretty tough to understand, but this is a toned down version of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

My new favourite show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I binge watched this last night and my thought train went something like this:

Episode One: "Hmmm, this looks gorgeous and the two leads are stellar but its a bit slow innit?"

Episode Two: "Ok, still slow but has promise ... and there's a naked Alexandra Daddario there now too" ;)

4a14f35d_alexandra-daddario1.jpg

Episode Three: "Ok, last chance for this show for me, lets see what its got"

49 minutes later: "This tension is incredible"

55 minutes later: Is Detective Rust going to
    slice his wrists with the ripped can?
    Or is he about to
    confess to being involved in the new murders?
    Both thoughts seemed probable at the time, such is the brilliantly unhinged performance of McConaughey

The final 10 seconds of the show and that shot of
    the guy in the field:

"Wow! Ive just found a favourite new show"

Damn you Superbowl. Damn you to hell! ;)

Oh and news just in (although it was pretty much a given):

HBO preparing to order True Detective Season 2

The premium cable network is paving the way for the next season of its new crime series, this time without current stars Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. In light of the positive reception for True Detective among audiences and critics alike, it seems highly likely that HBO will
    order a second season of the police drama, which premiered on January 12 to 7.7 million viewers across all screens.

According to Deadline.com, HBO has signed a new overall deal with the show's creator, Nic Pizzolatto, the novelist who honed his screenwriting chops on AMC's The Killing.

The Hollywood news website reports that Pizzolatto is currently working on a second season of True Detective to present to the network's executives.

More at: http://www.hindustantimes.com/entertainment/television/hbo-preparing-to-order-true-detective-season-2/article1-1178437.aspx#sthash.hdsdpgso.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Best show I've seen in a long time that's not called Breaking Bad.

To do something so incredible within such a rote, stale genre is frankly stunning. That Harrelson and McConaughey are exceptional is obvious but having the same director and writer for the entire run really looks to have imbued a special level of consistency to this series that even the truly great series didn't have.

God damn super bowl

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

God damn super bowl

Damn it to hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

Loving this show... great acting, great storyline so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

God damn super bowl

There was a little part of me that was glad it wasn't on last night. I'm dreading seeing what Reggie Ledoux has in store for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

:eek:

Ee1Ea43.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38 xXDarkstarXx

Loving this show, unreal acting and the storyline is coming along nicely. I think Rust has something shocking to tell the 2 cops next week.

PS It doesn't hurt to have someone like Alaxandra Daddario in the show either :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

So I've just caught up on this show and I have to say I love it. The tension between Marty and Rust is played out very well. Just hope that the show makers can keep it up for the entire season.

hustle1-650x367.png
    hustle2-650x361.png
    looking3-650x364.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Decided to watch this tonight on a whim. Stunned. Just grabs you from the start. To echo what's already been said, the setting is perfect. The music is incredible and both leads performances are out of this world.

First film/tv show in a long time to give me an "oh... ****" moment. The split narrative really helps build the tension. I think I might be genuinely frightened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

anyone know what time this is on tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

D.Q wrote: »
    anyone know what time this is on tonight?

9PM EST I think

How did he go from one of my most hated actors to one of my favourite actors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Loving the show so far.

Also glad to be watching a HBO series again so I can play "Spot 'The Wire' Cast Members". So far I've got Lester Freeman and Brother Mouzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Brilliant episode, and yes I stayed up to watch it. Addicted!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Talk about intense, that last sequence was savage. McConaughey is phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Jesus that was intense, unreal TV!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

This show keeps getting better and better. The last 10 minutes had so much tension, great work by everyone involved.

Advertisement