Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tribes: Ascend

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Agreed--Really enjoying this especially CTF.

Add me ingame razerirl.

Pity i suck bad at it though :o

Add me too, Cully

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Same here Cully.Useless at it and theres some excellent players out there who seem to hand me my arse evry game.

One annoying problem though--strange black screen when I zoom in with any weapon when dx10/11 is forced--any ideas??

Its fine on dx9 but the game looks **** on dx9.
    Also I get higher fps on dx10/11 than 9.

Same here Cully.Useless at it and theres some excellent players out there who seem to hand me my arse evry game.

One annoying problem though--strange black screen when I zoom in with any weapon when dx10/11 is forced--any ideas??

Its fine on dx9 but the game looks **** on dx9.
    Also I get higher fps on dx10/11 than 9.

I wasnt aware you could force dx10/11?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dcully wrote: »
    I wasnt aware you could force dx10/11?

In the ini file.

AllowD3D10=True
    AllowD3D11=False

Im using dx10 and it looks soooo much better.And the black screen zoom is a bug in dx10/11.I can live with it though for the eye candy.

just read on official forums its not supported yet hence the black screen.
    It also gives me issues when alt tabbling in dx 11.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Dear Technician,

It's not you, it's me.

We had a good run. I loved how your Turrets scored me so many kills and kept our flag well covered when the enemy wanted to whisk it away. I also enjoyed how quickly you could get our generator, sensor and turrets back up and running when no one else on the frickin' team was ever arsed trying to fix anything.

But, well, I've moved on to BIGGER and DOOMIER things. Sure, I learned how to hit people with bullets because of your SMG, but now I've got a chain-gun and I'm hitting them for 25% more damage per shot almost as quickly and I don't need to reload every 5 seconds. I can stand and blast away to my heart's content. I can pluck the flyboys right out of the sky with my heat-seeker. I can leave little presents of explosive joy for any would be un-invited guests trying to blow our generator up or steal our flag and there is nothing more exciting than watching someone travelling at 300+kph smack into a forcefield and get splatted.

And so Technician, I wish you the best. It's not that I don't love you - I'm just no in love with you any more. And so, it is with a heavy heart, I feel that we must part ways. We'll always have Drydock.

Love Shiminay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

You should try going on the offensive as techincian. I try and put down two turrets around corners in their generator room and then destroy it. You can kill so many by luring them into your turrets

FWIW Dx 11 seems to be working flawlessly since todays patch.No black screen of Zoom anymore :)

Still dont understand why I get 80+ fps in Dx11 and lucky to get 60 in Dx9.

1680*1050 at High Settings.V-sync off,Smooth frame rates off and Motion Blur off.

Use AllowD3D11=True

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Can't seem to get a game today.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Shiminay wrote: »
    Dear Technician,

It's not you, it's me.

We had a good run. I loved how your Turrets scored me so many kills and kept our flag well covered when the enemy wanted to whisk it away. I also enjoyed how quickly you could get our generator, sensor and turrets back up and running when no one else on the frickin' team was ever arsed trying to fix anything.

But, well, I've moved on to BIGGER and DOOMIER things. Sure, I learned how to hit people with bullets because of your SMG, but now I've got a chain-gun and I'm hitting them for 25% more damage per shot almost as quickly and I don't need to reload every 5 seconds. I can stand and blast away to my heart's content. I can pluck the flyboys right out of the sky with my heat-seeker. I can leave little presents of explosive joy for any would be un-invited guests trying to blow our generator up or steal our flag and there is nothing more exciting than watching someone travelling at 300+kph smack into a forcefield and get splatted.

And so Technician, I wish you the best. It's not that I don't love you - I'm just no in love with you any more. And so, it is with a heavy heart, I feel that we must part ways. We'll always have Drydock.

Love Shiminay

doombringer is my favorite clas now. i use the heavy bolt launcher though ;)

admit it, the best thing ever as doombringer - seeing pathfinders face planting at your screens ;)

i really want the next update to be on doombringer!!! ze more weapons and ze SKIN!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

FWIW Dx 11 seems to be working flawlessly since todays patch.No black screen of Zoom anymore :)

Still dont understand why I get 80+ fps in Dx11 and lucky to get 60 in Dx9.

1680*1050 at High Settings.V-sync off,Smooth frame rates off and Motion Blur off.

Use AllowD3D11=True

where do you change that line m8? which file?

where do you change that line m8? which file?

In the .ini file-documents-mygames-tribes ascend--tribes game--config-tribes.ini.Its already there about half way down set at "False"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

In the .ini file-documents-mygames-tribes ascend--tribes game--config-tribes.ini.Its already there about half way down set at "False"

still getting errors after patch.

Varik wrote: »
    still getting errors after patch.

Working 100% here.Maybe Ill pop up my ini for you to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

If they add these it would make my year. Need to try the new maps right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Not normally an online shooter fan but I've loving this; up to level 11 so far. I check the RockPaperShazbot server most evenings but it tends to be empty, so just playing pubs a the moment.

P.

Games like fecking heroin....I can't get enough of it.Ive even stopped playing bf3 over this.If you can find a good public server where peeps play the way it's meant to its even better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Late to the party with this and had been meaning to play it since it was released but I picked up the starter pack in the steam sale.

Holy **** it's amazing! A few hours of play has really laid out for me how much time I have wasted playing the likes of Battlefield and CoD (admittedly not a huge amount of CoD thank god) over the past few years.

It took me straight back to my TFC days which was my first true love in gaming and is still my most played game ever. Nothing has ever come close to the speed and skill curve of TFC but this does in every way. And you just can't beat good old fashioned CTF!!! :D

Love the fact everything is a projectile and the classes seem very well balanced so far. Have them all unlocked bar the sniper (Sentinel?) and Raider I think. Have mainly been playing Tech and my first unlock was the Thumper as it was awesome when I tried it on Soldier. 2 Sentries on the flag and upgrading Base defences is so satisfying you can really lock down the flag and backup the generator quickly if needed.

Liking Doombringer also although I need to get a few unlocks for him, the mines look very useful. All this and I haven't even attempted to play pathfinder or an offence class yet. :pac:

10/10

Unlock the Raider class if you get a chance.

For flag/generator defence it cant be beaten when you have a couple of team mates as doombringer/juggernauts with you even with the default loadout.

Raiders the only class I use now unless your team mates wont defend with you and youre left alone to defend flag/gen in which case Juggernaut does the job.
    The fusion mortar can clear a room out in no time :)

Tech in my opinion is underpowered.Needs a better primary weapon.

Doombringer is great for flag blocking but again you need teammates that will defend with you as juggernauts.

Havent unlocked Sentinel yet.Infiltrator is fun but Im useless at flag attacking.

Dont like the speedy classes for the same reason^^^

Add me ingame and Ill hop on a game with you sometime.
    razerirl

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Downloaded this meself a few days ago just to give it a try cause ive heard good things sounds like a great game. After been trying to create an account yesterday though and it created but when i try login to the games it says the details are invalid. Then when I try the website i can loging but it says something like cannot retrieve details or something along those lines. Sent off an email but I think ill be waiting a few weeks to hear something back :(

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Had a quick game. Seems very random. Also very tough to aim with rifle - does this improve as you level up? And like a rifle hit takes about 5% of opponent's health off.

I'd also like to see the accolade system integrated with steam achievements.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Had a quick game. Seems very random. Also very tough to aim with rifle - does this improve as you level up? And like a rifle hit takes about 5% of opponent's health off.

Dont use rifle based weapons.Used any projectile based one.Rifles are crap to be honest.

Some of the larger weapons will take off hundreds of health.

Unlock the Raider class if you get a chance.

For flag/generator defence it cant be beaten when you have a couple of team mates as doombringer/juggernauts with you even with the default loadout.

Raiders the only class I use now unless your team mates wont defend with you and youre left alone to defend flag/gen in which case Juggernaut does the job.
    The fusion mortar can clear a room out in no time :)

Tech in my opinion is underpowered.Needs a better primary weapon.

Doombringer is great for flag blocking but again you need teammates that will defend with you as juggernauts.

Havent unlocked Sentinel yet.Infiltrator is fun but Im useless at flag attacking.

Dont like the speedy classes for the same reason^^^

Add me ingame and Ill hop on a game with you sometime.
    razerirl

Yeah I actually regretted buying the Brute over the Raider pretty much straight away. Brute seems a kind of pointless class when you look at the rest!

I nearly have enough XP for the Raider so will pick him up later hopefully. On the Tech being under powered, I spent the majority of my 800g on the Thumper for him and it made an immense difference. Can really hold my own even against medium/heavy enemies with it.
    jayteecork wrote: »

The Rifles seem to really only be for finishing off enemies on low health. Like the soldier is pretty lethal using the Thumper as a main and quick switching to the rifle to finish off when needed.

Question for the Vets; What unlocks are "essential" and what should I be going for with my hard earned XP.

What weapons get the job done for each class and what belt / pack items should I be working on?

Big Knox wrote: »
    Yeah I actually regretted buying the Brute over the Raider pretty much straight away. Brute seems a kind of pointless class when you look at the rest!

I nearly have enough XP for the Raider so will pick him up later hopefully. On the Tech being under powered, I spent the majority of my 800g on the Thumper for him and it made an immense difference. Can really hold my own even against medium/heavy enemies with it.

The Rifles seem to really only be for finishing off enemies on low health. Like the soldier is pretty lethal using the Thumper as a main and quick switching to the rifle to finish off when needed.

The Brute is far from pointless, i do better as brute than pretty much any class, big spin fuser for high damage plus the brute can take a hell of a beating.

Dcully wrote: »
    The Brute is far from pointless, i do better as brute than pretty much any class, big spin fuser for high damage plus the brute can take a hell of a beating.

Well I mean in the overall scheme of things, in comp play it just seems like classes like Jugg or even Raider over better load outs in a similar role.

Their green laser grens are seriously OP though...

Went 34 - 0 as Tech tonight in a game, I know it doesn't show deaths but I didn't die for the entire round. Ended up with 1750 XP!! Love this game!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

To get the best out of a Brute I find you have to play it very aggressively, get up close, know that you can take the damage and just clean house going out in a blaze of fractal grenades!

The fractal grenades are an an effective area denial weapon especially indoors that buys time for the rest of you team to get into position and finish off the job (assuming that they are playing as a team) or simply clear out an area to get breathing space.

New players have a hard time with Fractals because they stand around getting zapped rather than pulling back and leaving them fizzle out. It is always good to pull a small train of enemy into their own gen room and fill the place with fractals or pop a line of them along a flag grabbers approach / exit line, it takes them down far enough for a Sent or a lucky shot to nail the flag grabber who has very little hope of changing direction.

Team play is needed to get the best out of the game, you can fart about as a PTH but it gets boring after a while and when you actually meet some clued in players you get mangles fairly quickly. A couple of good Sentinels will have you nailed mid air and will let you grab the flag so that you can be nailed on your exit run.

I found that standing a cloaked raider on the flag with maxed out Super Heavy perk can be entertaining, (Inf is just too light) but a couple of turrets, mines and shields along the approaches can be very satisfying, scope out the routes, look at where grabbers run out of steam and pop a turret there, it can be enough to finish off a flag grabber within sight of their own flag - sweet!

Jugs are a great class, the MIRV is great for indoor clearance work as well as lobbing prezzies in from a distance and when combined with the machine gun for in close work like chopping down circle strafing Soldiers or Pathfinders.

I find that you go through phases of Heavy and light classes, for pure grinding XP I think that the Techie wins hands down. MY pattern tens to be play a class figure out what is the biggest nuisance to that class then play that class using those tactics for a while and repeat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I don't know how they do it but every team I play on has a huge variety in classes. Unlike other games where everyone picks the sniper

Grimebox wrote: »
    I don't know how they do it but every team I play on has a huge variety in classes. Unlike other games where everyone picks the sniper

Yeah it's something I picked up on early and I love it. From what I can tell so far the reason really is besides the fact all the classes are fun to play in order to have a winning team you really do need a good balance.

If one team has 4 soldiers defending and 4 pathfinders running offence and the other team has a Tech / Doom / Raider / Jugg defending and a mix of offence they have a massive advantage straight away and sometimes that's something you don't get with other games where stacking classes is usually viable. The classes compliment each other really well.

I bought 2k gold last night. I don't mind building up XP at all but the game is so good I actually wanted to give the devs support as they have made an amazing game that I would have been happy to pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

They seem to have the class balance right, you can see the classes in use shift during the game and you never hear accusations of camping as you can clear out anyone stupid enough to stay still very easily.

I think that Planetside 2 is the only game likely to tempt me away in the near future.

Advertisement