Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photo Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Crash%2Bon%2BRailway%2Bat%2BDungarvan.PNG

Photo: Cáit Ni Sheághdha
    Looks like some of the threads in this place. :)

I never knew that the As had the flying snail on the side when in the original livery. In any photos I've seen they were always too dirty to notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Karsini wrote: »
    I never knew that the As had the flying snail on the side when in the original livery.
    I think only some had the flying snail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Railbus%2BRB3%2Bat%2BRDS%2Bin%2B1981.PNG

Another unusual one from eBay - slide currently for sale. The British Leyland/British Rail Railbus latterly RB3 on Northern Ireland Railways, and now at Downpatrick, made something of a world tour in the early 1980s and is seen here at the RDS, Dublin in 1981. I seem to remember that she also visited Canada amongst other places before being regauged to 5ft 3in and sold to NIR for use on the Portrush branch. I was lucky enough to sample her at speed (75mph) through Adelaide on an IRRS tour as well as on the 'invitation only' Cavan Coup railtour from Belfast to Kingscourt in May 1990.
    http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20N/Nobber/slides/Nobber_20100404_002_CC_JA.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

At speed? I'm scared of her doing 20MPH as she shudders so much!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Why exactly was the railbus brought around touring different places?

Rud wrote: »
    Why exactly was the railbus brought around touring different places?

To try and solicit orders for it - but to no avail. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,983 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

can she fire up these days?

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

can she fire up these days?

As far as I know RB3 sees occasional use at Downpatrick.

As far as I know RB3 sees occasional use at Downpatrick.

Yep. It was in use on 146's first public day but broke down. 146 then had to haul it back to Downpatrick. :D

• Advertisement

as well as on the 'invitation only' Cavan Coup railtour from Belfast to Kingscourt in May 1990.
    http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20N/Nobber/slides/Nobber_20100404_002_CC_JA.html

I don't understand ''invitation only'' who was invited, how come Judgement Day you got an invite, or should I ask, :p was it another IRRS click, a question of being ''in the know'' must have been a very bumpy ride to Kingcourt, who open the gates, heres another view of the ''invited select few'' elite trainspotters, anybody recognise spotters in suits http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20K/Kingscourt/slides/Kingscourt_20100404_001_CC_JA.html was management invited, tell us more Judgement Day, over to you :confused:

"The Cavan Coup" was operated by Southern Railtours aka Judgement Day and Sandy Mount so I was sure of a place. I remember the then Chief Civil Engineer of CIE, Pat Jennings, was aboard and Denis Grimshaw from NIR (I think) and even the late NJ McAdams from the IRRS but unsurprisingly not that many IRRS bods were invited - there were in fact several spare seats. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Was there a meal?

Was there a meal?

Yes was there a meal, was going to ask the same question, did you wear a calvert shirt and tie with a tweed jacket, its all coming out now :)

It wasn't an IRRS special! :D

That said, when we ran the "Western Enterprise" - the largest enthusiast special to operate in Ireland - we had no less than three Full 1st carriages on the train with private, at your seat, catering that would make your mouth water. We gave up on CIE providing railtour catering after the "Balligo Divider" fiasco.

aad16711abcdd8fd8e65ec329538d77139896557.pjpg

7th April 1990 - "Western Enterprise" heading north from Tuam with 540 passengers aboard.
    http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/1933/Westrail-Adventure#.UBGc_2FrMjA

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Fascinating stuff JD. There were quite a few people, not invited, but who chased RB3 all the way up to Kingscourt and back! Was the Balligo Divider another c1980s era railtour?

Eiretrains wrote: »
    Fascinating stuff JD. There were quite a few people, not invited, but who chased RB3 all the way up to Kingscourt and back! Was the Balligo Divider another c1980s era railtour?

The Balligo Divider was operated by Pathfinder Tours (the successor to F&W Railtours/Peter Watts) with GSRPS participation on Easter Sunday 1988. My memory is vague but there were two specials ex. Connolly - one to Sligo and one to Ballina. There was a coach link from Sligo to Ballina and the passengers from one special returned by the other. E428 hauled the special over the Ballina branch - the first preserved diesel to operate on the mainline in Ireland and possibly elsewhere.

E428 put in an excellent performance - if only CIE's catering department had done the same! They, very cleverly, left the catering supplies in the trains overnight at Connolly and somebody swiped the lot. Imagine the scene, a couple of hundred starving Brits after an all night marathon across England and then a ferry crossing....and nothing to eat or drink. I still remember that all that could be found were several crates of Heino and a handful of sandwiches - Ballina never knew what hit it when the enthusiasts arrived en masse! :D

E428-Ballina4.jpg?et=3mQxYxO3ZUOXi2NV%2CPSlZw&nmid=139028011
    E428 at Ballina - that's a sight you don't see every day - and bonnet first running to boot!

http://irishrailwaynews.multiply.com/photos/album/147/E428-amp-other-E-class-locos?&show_interstitial=1&u=%2Fphotos%2Falbum#

There was a coach link from Sligo to Ballina and the passengers from one special returned by the other.

E428-Ballina4.jpg?et=3mQxYxO3ZUOXi2NV%2CPSlZw&nmid=139028011
    E428 at Ballina - that's a sight you don't see every day - and bonnet first running to boot!

http://irishrailwaynews.multiply.com/photos/album/147/E428-amp-other-E-class-locos?&show_interstitial=1&u=%2Fphotos%2Falbum#
    I was on that coach, heard about the overnight thieves in Dublin who stole the catering supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A few from a wee jaunt on the RPSI Amien Street-M3 afternoon run at 14:35 yesterday. First off, leaving the station...

DSCF0667.jpg

A view of the surprisingly steep climb looking back towards Dunboyne. 461 made mincemeat of the incline :)

DSCF0686.jpg

On the run home, we meet a 22000 set approaching Ashtown.

DSCF0709.jpg

461 slows up as she passes Liffey Junction and her once proud water tank.

DSCF0719.jpg

As Poolbegs towers watch over the city, Inspector Cook looks out as we take the curved climb from the GSWR line into Connolly.

DSCF0725.jpg

The train arrived into the Postal Platform only to meet an almighty rain storm.

DSCF0738.jpg

Nice pic from another era - location South Kerry or Limerick Jn/Waterford? Taken in 1980 (on eBay now) and there's certainly a motley collection of stock on the train not like today's boring old EMUs/DMUs or MkIVs. :D

TRAIN.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/7726741750/in/photostream/

146 looking as good as new at downpatrick. You wouldnt know anything happended.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

No white stripe. ;)

I guess it gives a clue as to how she might look in 1972 livery.

The white stripe - toothpaste - was one of the worst abominations that CIE ever did to its livery. The MkIIs in particular were mutilated by its application and it didn't suit the locos either.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Karsini wrote: »
    No white stripe. ;)

I guess it gives a clue as to how she might look in 1972 livery.

Oh ya the white stripe isn't on the front. It appears IE have a few buckets of paint kicking about as the livery is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The white stripe - toothpaste - was one of the worst abominations that CIE ever did to its livery. The MkIIs in particular were mutilated by its application and it didn't suit the locos either.

I guess i'm alone then in thinking it was actually a great addition.:o

lord lucan wrote: »

Nope, you're not. Then again I would say that as I don't remember the older liveries.

lord lucan wrote: »

I gave up taking railway pics about the time that the toothpaste strip appeared and it was one of the reasons that I did. Add in the awful IE logo and InterCity scrawl applied to the carriages and the result was an unpleasant mess that I didn't want to have albums full of. The pic below taken at Cork in 1976 (the Supertrain livery came in with the MkIIs in 1972) shows the livery wearing well - contrast it with the later mess - inset.

Mk%2B2%2Bfirst%2Blivery%2B1976.jpg

I gave up taking railway pics about the time that the toothpaste strip appeared and it was one of the reasons that I did. Add in the awful IE logo and InterCity scrawl applied to the carriages and the result was an unpleasant mess that I didn't want to have albums full of. The pic below taken at Cork in 1976 (the Supertrain livery came in with the MkIIs in 1972) shows the livery wearing well - contrast it with the later mess - inset.

Mk%2B2%2Bfirst%2Blivery%2B1976.jpg

Though you could also say that the Mark 2s weren't rustbuckets in 1976 - in fact they were the top tier coach. It seems to me that they were intentionally left to rot in their later years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Surprisingly they managed to find a matching shade of orange! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

146 is looking well. :)

Advertisement