Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you enjoying at the moment?

• 13-10-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

Hello folks, haven't posted here (or on boards for that matter) for quite a while. Just curious to hear what everyone's listening to at the moment?

For me, Chris Potter/Paul Motian/Jason Moran are really producing some incredible records on ECM - particularly Lost in a Dream. Beautiful trio stuff. Also really enjoying Stanley Turrentine's Sugar. The version of Impressions on it is fantastic. In other news, Bob Brozman's new album is fantastic. Less blues than anything he's done in the past due to his collaborations with Irish trad musicians, there's definitely a more worldly feel about the record. Well worth a listen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Also, try and check out Nicholas Payton - Into the Blue. Fantastic album. Has anybody listened to him much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

I'm listening to The Ballad of John Henry by Joe Bonamassa. Great stuff, especially his performance on Stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Joey1349

This guy- Joey Ryan:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXijRu7AzvY&feature=related

Live vid... Amazing guitar playing...We share the same name too!

Saw him open for Kelly Joe Phelps recently, and heard him on radio once or twice.
    Can only find a facebook page for him though, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Joey-Ryan-music/246456338838

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭RobY

Clifford Brown - The Beginning and The End. Virtuoso trumpet, particularly on Night In Tunisia.

Buddy Rich - Lionel Hampton Presents Buddy Rich. Great album, very swingy (is that a word?!). Modern production sound but recorded in 1977. Great version of Giant Steps.

John Coltrane - Coltrane's Sound. Been listening to this heavily since I got the lossless version. Marvellous album with Central Park West, Body and Soul and Equinox as standout tracks.

RobY wrote: »
    Clifford Brown - The Beginning and The End. Virtuoso trumpet, particularly on Night In Tunisia.

Buddy Rich - Lionel Hampton Presents Buddy Rich. Great album, very swingy (is that a word?!). Modern production sound but recorded in 1977. Great version of Giant Steps.

John Coltrane - Coltrane's Sound. Been listening to this heavily since I got the lossless version. Marvellous album with Central Park West, Body and Soul and Equinox as standout tracks.
    Actually yeah I've been listening to a lot of Coltrane lately, but this is one of the few albums of his I'm not familiar with. Will check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Roy Hargrove Big Band - Emergence has been in heavy rotation here. Fantastic album.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Someone needs to get the finger out and bring Ahmad Jamal over here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭dasdog

The laid back trumpet thing doesn't usually appeal to me but Tomasz Stańko Quintet - Dark Eyes, after hearing a track off it called Terminal 7 which really grabbed me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ElasticMan

Miles Davis - Mostly his late 60's/early 70's jazz fusion works like Tribute to Jack Johnson, On the Corner, In a Silent Way, and Bitches Brew. Although I'll occasionally whip out Kind of Blue or Sketches of Spain should the mood strike me.

Charlie Parker - The Essential Charlie Parker on Metro

Sun Ra and his Arkestra - Atlantis, Night of the Purple Moon, Strange Celestial Road, The Magic City, etc. There's still a lot of this man's music I want to hear.

Louis Armstrong - The Complete Hot 5's and 7's.

I've also been listening to an assortment of albums by Ornette Coleman, Bill Evans, Don Cherry, Cecil Taylor, John Coltrane, Alice Coltrane, Archie Shepp, The Art Ensemble of Chicago, Pharaoh Sanders, Charles Mingus and others.

As for blues I've been listening to a lot of Howlin' Wolf.

Not sure which category they fall into but I've also been listening to Lady Day by Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald sings The Great American Songbook.

And a range of albums by the likes of Skip James, Bo Diddley, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Blind Willie McTell, Johnny 'Guitar' Watson, Lightning Hopkins, Elmore James and others.

Not sure if he can be counted as 'blues' but I've also been re-listening to a lot of Captain Beefheart albums since the news of his death.

ElasticMan wrote: »
    Miles Davis - Mostly his late 60's/early 70's jazz fusion works like Tribute to Jack Johnson, On the Corner, In a Silent Way, and Bitches Brew. Although I'll occasionally whip out Kind of Blue or Sketches of Spain should the mood strike me.

Just got Live/Evil by Miles on now. Sivad has a ridiculously good bassline, heavy on the funk :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Currently Albert King, SRV, Freddie King and Tom Waits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Most recently I've been listening to a lot of Dan Berglund's (played bass with the Esbjörn Svensson Trio) new album Tonbruket. Very nice mix of sounds in that album. Lots of typically Swedish eh... glacial music with some heavier parts and nice instrumentation - like a pedal steel guitar that reminds me of Brian Blade's Fellowship a little.

Captain Beefheart albums since the news of his death.
    Have yet to have a real night of remembrance, must remember to do so.
    Daddio wrote:
    Also, try and check out Nicholas Payton - Into the Blue. Fantastic album. Has anybody listened to him much?

Its an awesome album alright. His tone and phrasing are something else, just oozes class with every line. You can tell that he's from New Orleans!

Haven't heard any Chris Potter/Paul Motian/Jason Moran, must pick up something by them. I did however see Potter play the Galway Jazz festival with his jazz-funk group underground a couple of months ago though. I'd a really bad hangover on the day and really wanted to pass on attending but am very glad that I didn't. His playing cured me!
    Gyalist wrote:
    Roy Hargrove Big Band - Emergence has been in heavy rotation here. Fantastic album.

Ooooo, I wasn't aware that he had a big band. I've only got 'Earfood' but really enjoy it. Every time I hear Strasbourg St. Denis i'm left whistling it for hours!

Speaking of big bands that have been nominated for grammies - anyone else listen to Darcy James Argue's Secret Society? Really cool mix of traditional big band with undertones of dark, ominous minimalism.

Another musician who I've really gotten into lately is the guitarist Mary Halvorson. Her album Saturn Sings is really interesting. She plays a style I've never heard before. A bit like an experimental, 90s guitarist meets Kurt Rosenwinkel.

Beyond that its hard to say. I've just been trying to catch up on all the records that I've been neglecting and trying to give them the appreciation they deserve! :D

Christ on a bike - just digging into Destination Out! by Jackie McLean and I'm sad I've left this masterpiece on the shelf for so long. Wow. For 1963 there was certainly a lot of new things happening on this record - Grachan Monchur is definitely underrated as a composer.

Highly recommended! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8woYxaDjAM

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaylightDies

Allan Holdsworth, Gordon Beck, John Coltrane, Bill Evans trio, Chick Corea and some John Mclaughlin :)

Bill Evans at Town Hall. Beautiful. A must for fans of the piano trio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Stevie Wonder's version of Chick Corea's Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Angel L.

listening a lot of Clifford Brown recently

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The_Consumer

•Earth, Wind and Fire - Boogie Wonderland
    •Earth, Wind and Fire - Let's Groove
    •Jamiroquai - Cosmic Girl
    •Clara Hill (ft. Viktor Duplaix) - Paper Chaser

Mmhmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Been listening to a bit of Sonny Rollins lately. Top notch stuff from the stuff that I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Gyalist wrote: »
    Stevie Wonder's version of Chick Corea's Spain.

Doh! I missed him in dublin.
    What a band!!

I've been listening Tommy Emm playing Gypsy Jazz which unsurprisinigly he's amazing at too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvA_HfsbYys&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

I'm currently listening to some stuff I heard on Monday night in JJ's. The Phil Ware Trio and they had a guy called Philip McDermott performing too.

Fantastic sound! McDermott is brilliant too, such a graceful way of playing jazz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have B.B. King Live @ The Regal on repeat the last few weeks, such an incredible album! What an experience it would have been to be at that gig!!

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Fatgoogle

Ive been spinning, The yellow jackets for the last few days, just brillant. Got theolonius monk and chick corea aswell. Just cant get enough of monk, he was the first jazz artists that i bought a record of and ive been hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

Larry Carlton - Emotions wound us so
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOeB4oANTVg

Pat Metheny Group - Have you heard
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApI-zA6suXE

Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grappelli - Minor Swing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdSXUu0ZN1I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Tord Gustaffson trio, Being There. As laid back as it gets!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

bit of ronny jordan yesterday (the antidote)
    and today I went with a bit of Branford Marsalis, Crazy People Music.
    Amazing album , kenny kirland amazing pianist (rip)
    I think when I used to go to JJ's about 10 years ago Louis Stewart's band (with richie buckley) used to start the night off with spartacus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Advertisement