Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on External Tax Websites to be Confined Here

• 06-10-2009 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

anyone used taxback.com. i just got a free online estimation and it seems a little excessive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 speakswan

I am not a fan of TaXBACK.COM (as they use Bulgarians to process your returns and they are paid about 10% of Irish minimum wage) , it is a handy service if you need to complete a foreign tax return say German and you don't speak German but if it is Australia /US/GB or Ireland and you are a fluent english speaker then complete the forms yourself. If you need help ask here or the local tax office.
    If you do go with Taxback.com ask them about their "orphan funds policy"

You could also get a quote from http://www.foreigntaxreturns.ie/countries/france/

I personally use http://www.frenchtaxonline.com/ and I have found them perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

rugalo wrote: »
    anyone used taxback.com. i just got a free online estimation and it seems a little excessive.

Can you tell us what the quote was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭rugalo

ye the quote was €24,610. this seems like its way too much. one of the reps rang me today and said he would get back to me with a definite amount within the next 15 days. please tell me they cant screw me if they have my pps number

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

That's a ridiculous amount.

What do you need done?

They can't do anything unless you've empowered them to PPS no or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

ye the quote was €24,610. this seems like its way too much. one of the reps rang me today and said he would get back to me with a definite amount within the next 15 days. please tell me they cant screw me if they have my pps number

That must be the tax liability not their fee...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

whats the fee? Is is linked to the amount you get back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭rugalo

not sure what the fee is because they havent given me a definite figure of what if anything im due back. i just seen their ad on jobs.ie and i clicked on it and took it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tessa_86

I used taxback.com for my Australian tax refund and was very happy with them. I got back AUD 1,750. A few of my friends used them as well and we all got a good bit money back. I don't think though that you could really get 24,000 unless you really made a lot of money, as you get back most of the tax you paid, but that's all they can do for you. They also told me that I can also get an Irish tax refund, which I didn't know about. So that'll be a few hundred euro more. I think that taxback.com has staff in a lot of different countries, prob also in Bulgaria. When I was in Sydney I saw their office there, but the girl who organises my Irish tax refund is here in Ireland. So maybe it's different for different refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

tessa_86 wrote: »
    I used taxback.com for my Australian tax refund and was very happy with them. I got back AUD 1,750. A few of my friends used them as well and we all got a good bit money back. I don't think though that you could really get 24,000 unless you really made a lot of money, as you get back most of the tax you paid, but that's all they can do for you. They also told me that I can also get an Irish tax refund, which I didn't know about. So that'll be a few hundred euro more. I think that taxback.com has staff in a lot of different countries, prob also in Bulgaria. When I was in Sydney I saw their office there, but the girl who organises my Irish tax refund is here in Ireland. So maybe it's different for different refunds.

BS - Nice first post Taxback.com :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭neil_purdy

Im waiting for them to estimate my refund atm.. Its for canada but they say there is a bit of a problem because i only paid tax for 4 months there.. said i may not be able to get a refund? I have just started a job in ireland and they said if my irish earnings are over 10% of my canadian earnings then i cant get a refund..

Why is this.. girl wasnt very helpful in explaining.. And def not irish.. very bulgarian sounding name!!!!!

• Advertisement

I've been deleting threads that have thread titles that advertise external websites because it breaks the advertising charter.

These have been increasing lately so I have set up this thread for people to give their opinion on external sites.

There are a few ground rules here. All experience's that you mention have to be personal. What happened to you and not your first cousins sisters best friend in law. Vitrol bashing of a website out of left field will not be tolerated.

Cursing will not be tolerated. Any website representatives that want to come here and defend any accusations will be welcomed and respected at all times but better PM me first to confirm your position.

This is not a forum for emotional interjections. Simple state your case and go.

Lastly, I may be opening a can of worms here but we'll see how it goes I'm not one to wave the old ban stick if I can help it but I'll use it if things get out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DUBISAK

Anyone used the shambolic services of fixmytax.com?

I did through work who kindly pay for it but have been waiting since Nov 04th for a reply from them.

I am relatively knowledgable on the subject of PAYE tax retuns and every year claim myself. this year I deceided to hand over to a "professional" as with work I am very busy at the moment and thought I would save myself a bit of time.

I have sent fixmytax 4 emails and not received 1 reply. Eventually I had to get my HR department involved. On Dec 22nd Fixmytax told my HR that they received my docs and mails but had not been processed. it takes atleast 8 weeks to process and mine would not be touched until after Christmas.

Now it will take atleast 3 months to process claim for 1 year, told them not to go back over 4 years as I am confiednt all that can be claimed was.

Just wondering if anyone else had same problem? Would like to warn other people in my company against using them if so

I would not mind if they replied to my emails (which i have read receipts for) and told me due to time if year there was a delay in processing but to just ignore me seems very unprofessional

November and December are the filing deadlines for corporation tax so at this time of the year that would be prioritised. If you were to drop your documents into them in September or October when the Income tax filing deadlines are due then I'm sure they would fast track them.

I am speaking objectively here as I have no experience of this particular website but that would be my guess from working in practice, you alway put the stuff with the shortest deadline at the top of the pile.

Yes I fully agree that it is the busiuest time of the year, and I would have accepted such reasoning from them if they offered. However for them to just ignore my emails is bad form and something I find completly unacceptable.

Business been business I know they will service corporate requirments first as thesy would be put under more pressure by such and probably earn more from them. What I cant understand is, I work for a rather large employeer and I am one of the first people (if not the first) in my company to take up the option of this service, so again business been business it would seem to me to be in their best interest to get a good name within my company as it is a possible big source of revenue in the future. They have done just the opposite.

I will comment on the actual accuracy of their work once it is completed but their communication and professionalism is at rock bottom.

Due to a misunderstaning by myself on the service fixmytax.com were offering, I would like to retract and apologise for the comments I made on this board in relation to their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puddie77

Hi guys can any tell give me some sound advice to where i can find out if i'm due some tax back or not.i was on a few sites which claim they will get so much back for a 10% fee, i simply don't trust them.ANY HELP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

alot of people use taxback.com
    Have used them myself for my australian tax back, i dont have any problems with them

If this is for your irish tax back then you can contact your local tax office yourself with your pps number and ask for a balance statement (forget which one off hand - can dig it up if noone else can suggest)

Thanks samhail...its irish taxback yes.

Taxback.com were working on a claim for me but after 8 weeks still nothing so i told them not to go any further, maybe i should have waited a little longer.

your looking for a P21 Balancing Statement.

Check out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054891655
    saved me a couple of hundred when i did it - hmmm which was about a year ago.

i saw some advertisement that with the new tax reliefs that came in that it might be worth while looking again.

• Advertisement

puddie77 wrote: »
    Taxback.com were working on a claim for me but after 8 weeks still nothing so i told them not to go any further, maybe i should have waited a little longer.

going directly iirc only took a week or two at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Call revenue and ask for P21 balancing statement - they will go 4 years back so ask for each year.

You can also register for revenue's online service and do it that way.

Only thing about P21 is that it will also show them if you own them money but if you're confident you're owed tax back then call.

I did it last year for the previous 4 years and got €500 in total back, someone I work with got €2K!

Thanks alot really appreciate that. very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bobdole2nd

I wasn’t sure about doing it myself, so I used taxpal, they charged a fee but they informed me of refunds that I didn’t know about, nursing home fees that I pay towards and some medical fees, which made my refund a sizeable one

I would recommend them http://www.taxpal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Hi there,

I was trying to get some of my tax back when I stumbled upon a company called taxback.com who said they would do it for me.

Has anyone used them before?

They're charging a 21% levy which seems kinda steep to me but I have no idea on how to go about claiming all my tax back so it seems like it might be worth it.

Anyone got any opinons?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

Theres' a number of companies offering this service including the one in my signature. That rate is the highest i've seen. We work at 10% plus vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭shy

Hi Ya

Taxback.com charge 10% plus vat, Redoaks charge 12.5% + vat and other seem to either charge a fixed fee or 10%.

Why dont you ask some questions here and see if we can help you out with out having to pay some else 10%+ vat for something that is fairly easy.

Or pm me and ill tell you what you need to do as I do it for family and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

A lot of these companies also do what you can do yourself on line with PAYE Anytime for free. Its worth having a look at the Revenue.ie website, you can claim nearly everything online yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Clodagh NiRiain

Just putting my two cents in - I used taxback.com for a few different things like US tax as well as my Irish tax and they've always been good. For Irish the fee was 10% + levy. There are lots of new companies in Ireland now but taxback.com have been around for quite a few years so they're trust worthy I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

I simply rang the local revenue office and asked them to review my tax for the past 4 years...they're sending me out a cheque for €600, simple as that!

Advertisement