Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

MP is a pain in the arse in DQIX, alas. Played it with a friend a few times but the time you mess finish up putting party members away and getting together in the same place... It is fun when you get there, just a lot of effort.

I take it it can't be played over internet? (DS connected to router, connected to series of tube, connected to router, connected to friends' DS) That's a bit of a bummer. There's some famous maps with ridiculous monsters and rewards I was hoping to get my hands on, and this sounds like its going to be more difficult to do now.
    I've played a few DQ (IV, VIII and IX) in-depth but never finished one :pac: DQIX is good, but definitely suffers from the lack of a more coherent story, and it's a real shame they did away with individual party members in favour of customisation. Feels a bit hollow as a result.
    I know exactly what you mean. I gave up on it completely and even deleted my save first time around since I was promising myself I'd stop (it was a time sink and I really wasn't enjoying it). This is my second time around, and I'd made my party around a theme to inject some personality into them. Worked out a little better, and got OK likenesses at character creation too.
    199099.png
    ^ Thief

199100.png
    ^ Mage
    199101.png
    ^ Priest
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Overall happy so far and can't wait to get some more games. Just purchased Guardian Heroes from an Irish seller on eBay, so should have it soon. Looks brilliant!

Gah. I've really put getting a multiplayer adapter and extra pads for a Saturn off too damn long. Probably should get a decent sized TV first before bothering though. :/
    o1s1n wrote: »
    If it is faulty then just use it as a good reason to upgrade to a 4-in-1 cart. They're a must have for the Saturn ;)

Losing data from a Saturn battery feels bad. Though I am looking forward for killing my way through GH again.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Actually the cartridge slots on saturns are notoriously bad. If you are inserting different cartridges in them then the metal wears down and eventually you'll have trouble with the saturn reading carts.

Damn. Didn't know that, but the upside of losing my data is the slot should still be close to pristine. Anyone make replacement parts or are they just pulled out of broken Saturns?
    Again this is another reason why you should have a 4 in 1. Put it in the cart slot, if it works you'll never have to remove it. In fact you have absolutely no reason not to have a 4 in 1 cart. It's pretty much essential for a Saturn.
    What about Saturn Bomberman + Netlink?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Playing some Landstalker as part of the HG101 Game Club 19XX. I'm quite enjoying it but it has some big problems. It looks gorgeous and is an isometric game. However it controls completely different to any other isometric game. You have to use the diagonals to move and it just feels horrible compared to every other isometric game ever made. Also it was meant to be Sega's answer to Zelda but it's no where near a good and the dungeons rely on too much combat which is horrible with these controls, and platforming, a complete disaster in any isometric game and more so in this one because you've no shadows to tell you the position of anything.

It's good fun one you get over the weirdness. It's by the same team that made the Shining Force games and you can tell because the music sounds very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Megaman 1,2 and 3 or how I learned to love the megadrive and wily wars.

The seem a lot easier on the megadrive. Were the games altered much?

Also playing Darius Twin on the Snes and I love it. After Pop n Twinbee it's the only shoot em up that's really nabbed my attention. The music is excellent which helps.
    Any other good Shmups on the Snes? Did I say that right?:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yup the physics are way off on the megadrive Wily Wars games. The NES versions are much better in every way for me. Better music and controls. A nice curiosity though.

Yup the physics are way off on the megadrive Wily Wars games. The NES versions are much better in every way for me. Better music and controls. A nice curiosity though.

Ah the music in the nes ones are far better and the megaman 2 intro is surely the greatest bit of music in human history.

• Advertisement

Sonic R and ya know what?
    Holy crap it's brutal! How do you steer? I've won every race so far without the ability to take sims turns.
    On the plus side, that soundtrack rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Playing some World of Illusion via the wonders of the Nomad. Ah yes, back when games were games :o

EnterNow wrote: »
    Playing some World of Illusion via the wonders of the Nomad. Ah yes, back when games were games :o

One Of my favourite sega megadrive games, along with Streets of Rage 2.

• Zombies ate my neighbors on the SNES. Still as great as ever to pick up and play, and even more fun if you have a spare person lying around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Raiden III on my new Namco Arcade Stick, bliss.....

• Advertisement

Zombies ate my neighbors on the SNES. Still as great as ever to pick up and play, and even more fun if you have a spare person lying around.

Really good game. Extremely difficult to get to the end though. Keep meaning to try out Ghoul Patrol, it's a sequel kinda.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have Zombies for the Snes but never play it, similarly I have never really invested time in World of Illusion either, must rectify that some day.
    But then, there are so many games demanding our time, hard to see how to make room for them all.
    I would hazard a guess, and this has come up before, that I only have about 40 years or so left, reckon I mightn't have time to play everything I have now to completion, never mind another 40 years worth of games....
    Of course, there's every chance that the future of gaming looks like Angry Birds and Peggle, so I may not be missing much!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Saturn
    • Guardian Heroes - I'm getting pummelled on Hard mode on my mission to unlock everyone for multiplayer using only hard mode, and no tricks whatsoever.
    Dreamcast
    • Chu Chu Rocket - I'm thinking I need to get this on my Android phone to see what the port is like. The x/y/a/b = left/up/down/right thing is something that's taking me ages to get accustomed to.
    • Jet Set Radio - Did not expect this to be so, so different from JSRF. Pleasingly hard, but I can see why Sega released De La JSR.
    • Virtua Fighter 3tb - I need to buy an ASCII pad for the Dreamcast so, so bad. Or a Saturn>Dreamcast convertor box. Playing VF3 with the regular controllers feels perverse. And why is the analogue stick doing nothing whatsoever?!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have Zombies for the Snes but never play it, similarly I have never really invested time in World of Illusion either, must rectify that some day.
    But then, there are so many games demanding our time, hard to see how to make room for them all.
    I would hazard a guess, and this has come up before, that I only have about 40 years or so left, reckon I mightn't have time to play everything I have now to completion, never mind another 40 years worth of games....
    Of course, there's every chance that the future of gaming looks like Angry Birds and Peggle, so I may not be missing much!

So many games and so little time to play them in. That saying is only further exasperated when you can't stop buying stuff.
    Got Saturn two weeks ago. Have around ten games now and have played around ten - twenty mins on the majority with the most being around 2-3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

The only illusion games I played as a kid was Caste Of Illusion and Land of Illusion on the SMS.

Castle of the illusion was basic enough in terms of graphics and gameplay, but was alright.

Land of Illusion had evolved beautiful in both aspects though, lovely detail for an SMS game and lots of nice game mechanics added also.

I can remember Land of Illusion being quite an eerie, tense but magical game all at the same time.

It's a combination of the eerie but brilliant music, the enemies and the bosses.

It's hard to explain. You've motivated me to fire it back up to see how it plays now.

I haven't played with my Mickey™ in about 20 years......;)

• CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have Zombies for the Snes but never play it

Have you ever played it? Give it a whirl, it's great. Very arcad-ey, like playing a funny horror b-movie. The 2-player mode is excellent.

It is very tough on the later levels though, I'm not sure I ever finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Playing tales of symphonia on the gamecube. Trying to get to grips with the combat system at the moment - have a feeling bosses will hand my ass to me if i dont get it sussed soon :/

Just hack away and dodge, not much too it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Just hack away and dodge, not much too it :)

Is that really all there is to it ? I've been doing that but my companions kept dying, I thought I was missing something in the strategies section.

Good game though.

Been a while since I've played it but it wasn't too complicated just really hectic. I'd suggest in hte strategies section telling magic users to stay well back and only using the hand to hand fighters directly unless healing is desperately needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Superbrothers: Swords & Sorcery EP is out on Steam now.

Get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,370 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone else playing the Gamegear game Dragon Crystal from the 3DS store? Definitely worth checking out, especially if you've never played a roguelike game. The emulation has savestates, which kind of takes away from the fear of death in a roguelike (it's akin to credit feeding an arcade game) - but if you can, try not to use it.

Anyone else playing the Gamegear game Dragon Crystal from the 3DS store? Definitely worth checking out, especially if you've never played a roguelike game. The emulation has savestates, which kind of takes away from the fear of death in a roguelike (it's akin to credit feeding an arcade game) - but if you can, try not to use it.

Didn't Retr0 use savestates to clear Ninja Gaiden & Contra? I just felt it was worth raising that point for no apparent reason.

Master of the Universe

Further proof that he needs to buy a NES :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Superbrothers: Swords & Sorcery EP is out on Steam now.

Get it :)

Just watched the video on Steam for it, looks good. Worth a punt at €4.49 I guess.

Playing Legend of Grimrock a bit these days, cool game. :)

Further proof that he needs to buy a NES :D

I think he did fairly recently? Charitable donation from Cidey I think. He's also a legit MVS owner these days. :eek: :cool:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I think he did fairly recently? Charitable donation from Cidey I think. He's also a legit MVS owner these days. :eek: :cool:

Didn't Sera say he has no Wii either? Or was it herself that has none? Slagging rights for one of them anyway

Master of the Universe

Legend of Grimrock really is enjoyable isn't it? How many levels down are you? I think I'm on 5 now. Those damn spiders drove me mental!

Didn't Sera say he has no Wii either? Or was it herself that has none? Slagging rights for one of them anyway

Not sure. It's good to see the Emu/CD-R king get into some oem hardware for a change though. :P

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I'm pretty sure Retr0 is just a massive troll and doesn't even play videogames.

It's not possible to have 25,612 posts and play games too.

Advertisement