Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One more laptop thread

Options
  • 16-12-2012 1:46pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm looking into buying a laptop around or after Christmas. My budget is rather low, around €500-550. After spending hours looking through Irish shops' websites, it seems that none of them have what I want for the price.

But I just came across this on a UK website

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_V3-571G_1289837.html

It has a dedicated graphics card (really rare these days :)), a 3rd gen i3 processor with 6GB RAM. But it seems they don't deliver to Ireland :( even if they do, will I be taxed for this?

So really I need a decent i3 processor, 4GB RAM with dedicated graphics if possible, but I guess I'd eventually have to settle for the likes of HD 3000 with the limited budget. Has to be 15.6"

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Wait, I just found the exact same laptop at laptops direct :D

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_Aspire_V3-571G_Windows_8_Core_i3_Laptop_-_Black_NX.RZJEK.012/version.asp

So anybody used these laptops? Good/bad opinions? Known faults?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Affluenza

Taxed on a laptop from UK?
    Not 100% sure. If your lucky no. I have bought Tv and Phone from Uk and got no tax. Then i ordered some silver and was hit with nearly 300 Euro tax :L

I would suggest one of the following:
    This one is 17.3" so may be a little big
    Not the best Graphics card either.

Again not an amazing graphics card.
    The laptop you mentioned has and i3 processor. Thats not really a gaming CPU i would go for an i5 if you looking to do a little gaming (Not gonna be able to play BF3 on ultra etc with an i5 though )

The i5 version for a little more
    A little more expensive at 620 but give it a couple of weeks after christmas and you should get it for around 550

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Affluenza wrote: »
    Taxed on a laptop from UK?
    Not 100% sure. If your lucky no. I have bought Tv and Phone from Uk and got no tax. Then i ordered some silver and was hit with nearly 300 Euro tax :L

I would suggest one of the following:
    This one is 17.3" so may be a little big
    Not the best Graphics card either.

Again not an amazing graphics card.
    The laptop you mentioned has and i3 processor. Thats not really a gaming CPU i would go for an i5 if you looking to do a little gaming (Not gonna be able to play BF3 on ultra etc with an i5 though )

The i5 version for a little more
    A little more expensive at 620 but give it a couple of weeks after christmas and you should get it for around 550
    Not really a hardcore gamer, those cards look okay. I might play Grand Theft Auto the odd time and maybe some MMORPGs.

I don't mind bigger screens. I think I'll wait til after Christmas and check out the shops again. I'm not really in a rush. I doubt those online prices will go up, they're barely on sale at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Affluenza

You said it! Wait until st Stevens day and you Wil find a few in pcworld Argos etc

Advertisement