Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a laptop

• 15-12-2012 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get my girlfriend a laptop for Christmas. She doesn't use her computer for highly data intensive programs like video editing software and CAD programs, just normal day to day stuff like surfing the web, listening to music, watching movies and photo's etc.

She said that she will give me some money towards it but I think that theres no need to spend a bomb on it and laptops usually only last me around 2 years on average anyway. I'm on a bit of a budget too. 500 euro is probably the most we could possibly spend.

Theres one thing that is making this more complicated though. She is a big Medal of Honor fan and she said she would maybe like to use her laptop to play that. I recently put my xbox in her house though so if she gets use to the controller she might not need it for gaming.

Any suggestions on laptops I should go for?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I think you have two choices, you can get an i5 for around the 500 mark with integrated graphics. It will play medal of honor just about, but it won't be fantastic

The other choice is to take a hit on the processor and get a machine with a relatively decent GPU, I saw this interesting looking Timeline reviewed here . Its got a 640m so it will handle modern games quite well. The processor is a great deal weaker though. On the plus side its an ultrabook so it is very slim and pretty nice looking

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hughesga

Looks interesting, I'm just looking into it now, thanks for the suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hughesga

It actually turns out the only game she really wants to play is Medal of Honor Allied Assault released in 2002!!

I think the system requirements are quite low:
    http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=31630&tab=sysreqs

I don't really understand the graphics requirements, could any laptop pretty much support this?

So I might be looking for a decent quality all round laptop that could handle this game. One with a nice screen for playing movies would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Affluenza

Graphics won't be a big issue then

This one is pretty good

She doesn't need 6gb ram and doesn't have USB 3.0. I think you should be looking for i5 with integrated graphics. Should do the job

• Advertisement
Advertisement