Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do to prepare today?

• 12-12-2011 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Thought it might be interesting and motivating to share what we are doing to prepare.

Today
    1. I bought a new urban farm, completely turned it over to have it full of beautiful composted soil, and planted my first crops. Expect first harvest tomorrow. (Ok so i bought a patio planter and some ready to plant herbs. But hey, I've got to start somewhere) I am now officially a farmer.
    2. Concealed my farming activities in case of hostile reactions. (okay so its up in the back bedroom, which is waiting to be painted. Don't know how himself might react;))
    3. Started my food storage collection with foods i currently use and can therefore rotate out to keep a fresh stock. I now have stored away 4 cans of peaches and 1 litre of oil. I also have my selection of fresh herbs, and forage foods - dandelions, nettles and garden snails.
    4. bought 100 metres of wire and learnt how to make a snare. so add one rabbit snare and wire for about 130 more to the stockpile. It was a very empowering feeling.
    5. Bought some seeds. More herbs, some salad greens all to be grown asap in containers. Will try to harvest seed from them.
    6. Started my long term seed bank, with 4 pkts very cheap seeds from woodies, beet, carrot, cabbage, lettuce. Says will store till 2014. Root crops could be good for carbohydrates, if i get tired of lettuce and escargot a la jardine.
    7. bought 4 books on how to start gardening, forest gardening and food storage, to add to my survival library. real stuff not kindle for when the lights go out. well not so far out i can't see the print. you know what i mean.
    8. Read some stuff to develop knowledge base. Knowledge is most portable surivival asset of all.
    so very happy all in all. I know its daft, but i feel like i have moved from just being an observer and day dreamer to action. And i can build from there.

Next wish list, more gardening, , decent knife, fishhooks, try some fishing and snaring if its legal, develop a menu/recipe/foodstorage plan and regular schedule to buy in and build it up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

fair play to you. On the fishing and snaring both are legal but you May need permission to access some land for fishing and defo need permission on the land you want to set snares. Look for runs in the grass and set your snares in them, wire fences are a good place to set them. Be very careful of other animals in the area, a sheep with a leg caught in your snare is not goin to end well so always keep that in mind when your setting them. It takes alot of practice and trail and error. Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

fair play to you. On the fishing and snaring both are legal
    I thought snaring was illegal?
    34.—(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act apart from this section but subject to section 42, a person shall not—

(a) hunt any wild bird or wild mammal by means of a trap, snare, net, line, hook, arrow, dart, spear or similar device, instrument or missile, or birdlime or any substance of a like nature, or any poisonous, poisoned or stupefying bait, or

(b) affix, place or set—

(i) any trap, snare or net for killing or taking a wild bird or a wild mammal, or

they sell snares for fox and rabbit in nearly every hunting shop in the country and also nets for rabbits for ferreting. larson traps are used for crow and magpie.

that legislation does not cover vermin species like fox, rabbit, gray squirrel and mink or birds under derogation

if you keepr eading down your link to (2) subsection(1) it will tell you, i cant copy it because im on the phone atm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

bought 100 metres of wire and learnt how to make a snare. so add one rabbit snare and wire for about 130 more to the stockpile. It was a very empowering feeling.

I am shoite with snares, I have been trying for years and my results are mostly disappointment:o I just do not have the knack, I also hate returning to captured animal in a snare...enough said!

Snares are handy in survival as they take up no space in your kit and can be set in seconds. For more static locations I now use box traps with some great results plus its humane for the animal.

My traps are mostly rabbit sized, I have improvised and used a wheely bin to capture some stray tom cats and even a fox using figure 4 trigger and some bricks on the lid to keep it shut once set.

Don't know how himself might react)

My misses thinks I am nuts, some of my activities have caused her to reach for the phone to the funny farm but I am hanging in there for now.

Its a topic in its own right, we have talked on a need to be ready for almost anything. We both agree that its a good idea but in reality she is a little put off and considers my behavior strange strange at times.

• Advertisement

krissovo wrote: »
    My misses thinks I am nuts, some of my activities have caused her to reach for the phone to the funny farm but I am hanging in there for now.

Its a topic in its own right, we have talked on a need to be ready for almost anything. We both agree that its a good idea but in reality she is a little put off and considers my behavior strange strange at times.
    haha mine is the same, what do ya want a big water tank for she asks when we are without water every winter with the frost! And a generator sure why would anyone need that! She came around to the hunting eventually so give it time and they will get used to it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

yes, i think you are right about the act allowing fro snaring rabbits it doesn't list them on the schedule of prohibited animals. THe only things of interest from a small trapping point of view are red squirrel, hares and hedgehogs.

Now if i want to try squirrel i suppose it will have to be grey, would that taste different? Hares I can taste from the farmed version, and rabbit snaring should satisfy the desire to hunt them. As for hedgehogs too many fleas anyway. If one ever has to eat them in the roll 'em in mud and bake them method I suppose the minister may have suspended the regualtions at that stage from the government bunker.

thanks for the info.

BTW the act also has regs about airguns, which do not seem to specify the same threshhold as the new firearms act. any thoughts?

Badger
    Bat species
    Deer species
    Hare species
    Hedgehog
    Otter
    Pine Marten
    Red Squirrel

Badger
    Bat species
    Deer species
    Hare species
    Hedgehog
    Otter
    Pine Marten
    Red Squirrel

Badger
    Bat species
    Deer species
    Hare species
    Hedgehog
    Otter
    Pine Marten
    Red Squirrel

sorry for the repetition of the species list from the act.:o

what is the bit about airguns? Cant see it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Folks, please keep the firearms posts for the shooting and hunting forums - thanks.

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Folks, please keep the firearms posts for the shooting and hunting forums - thanks.

Sure no problem.

Though i think the point being explored was what constituted a firearm in terms of the act, a legal point, you see, not a firearms point, ;)

But anyway i am happy to continue that discussion elsewhere if ti is the preferred option.

Tested out canned hot dogs, tesco own brand.

Result, they won't replace my usual type, so no good for store and rotate, but are certainly acceptable though bland, might make my store and give away list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Red Harvest

bonniebede wrote: »
    Tested out canned hot dogs, tesco own brand.

Result, they won't replace my usual type, so no good for store and rotate, but are certainly acceptable though bland, might make my store and give away list.

In that case DO NOT try the really cheap Lidl canned hot dogs they're a bit like a pink flour and sawdust mix (someone will say they like them I sure) but the Lidl ones in a large glass jar are quite good.

Rather than hot dogs how about some German "wurst", much nicer tasting and the shelf life can be measured in years. Bockwurst jars can be baught in Lidl, 75+% meat and will last years.

In that case DO NOT try the really cheap Lidl canned hot dogs they're a bit like a pink flour and sawdust mix (someone will say they like them I sure) but the Lidl ones in a large glass jar are quite good.

:P:D

krissovo wrote: »
    Rather than hot dogs how about some German "wurst", much nicer tasting and the shelf life can be measured in years. Bockwurst jars can be baught in Lidl, 75+% meat and will last years.

Those were the ones I ment, but I can't keep them in the house as they come in a resealable jar and I just graze on them whenever I'm passing near the kitchen or wherever I've stored them :o

Extra good with Colmans English Mustard.

isn't that what they are nmeant to taste like?

Its not just the taste its the consistency, "dry flour and sawdust", and the cans are only half full at least 50% water. I tried them last year to see what they are like so they might be different now as I know the companies that make Lidl's "Brands" change.

Were is a gagging smiley when you need one ;)

Although I prefer to see my excess weight as a wisely acquired and very hard to be separated from (:() personal teotwawki calorie buffer, it does raise the question of what would happen if i went on a mad binge with :eek:ONE YEARS SUPPLY of food. OMgoodness!

maybe bland sawdust is the way to go after all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Although I prefer to see my excess weight as a wisely acquired and very hard to be separated from (:() personal teotwawki calorie buffer, it does raise the question of what would happen if i went on a mad binge with :eek:ONE YEARS SUPPLY of food. OMgoodness!

maybe bland sawdust is the way to go after all.
    Impossible.
    You would be so unbelievably sick of tinned food. Not to mention mad with thirst from all the sodium and sulphate and nitrite.
    Three days of tinned food and you would quite happily get down on your hands and knees and graze on green grass just for the freshness of it :D

~Okay today I practised survival thinking.

in a survival situation you have to stop and think about your survival priorities, so as to use your time and energy efficiently, three minute rule and all that.

So how are my daily priorites?
    1. Eternal survival. Ok I know how to sort that, but need to pick up on the daily fine tuning of this essentail long term survival skill.

2. Most likely immediate survival needs.
    1. family member has a heart attack. Happens to people every year, young friend of mine died that way this year. URGENT PRIORITY need to get first aid skills up to date and maybe home defibrillator, ambu bag, dissolvable aspirin.
    2. House fire, have fire alarms, and extinguisher, some upstairs escape routes planned. NEED smoke hoods, very useful piece of kit to keep in bedrooms, and more fire extinguishers. URGENT check fire alarms are working and set up a schedule for it.
    3. Personal safety. NEED to study self defence, anyone any opinions on Krav Maga?
    4. :rolleyes:
    5. Emergency supplies NEED bug out bag, and just general lists of numbers policies etc. IF the house burnt down I know I'm insured but policy number? Don't make me laugh.
    Preparedness resolution for the day: first get my ordinary life zipping along so as to allow time to do some prepping. Second prep for scenarios in order of likelihood (likeliness?). One of u having a heart attack more likely than a zombie attack, you know what i'm sayin'?

• Advertisement

Personal safety. NEED to study self defence, anyone any opinions on Krav Maga?

I cannot advise you on anything but Jujutsu as that is what I was tought in the military. The basic moves are easy enough and often the basis for "self defence" courses. Krav Maga is interesting, I spent time in Isreal where their forces are tought this skill and its highly effective but may take longer to get the basic moves. I had a few "pen fights" with the soldiers that usually ended 50/50 between me and them.
    Personal safety in case of zombie attack.

Prepairing for zombie style attack will prepaire you for most eventuallities. The liklihood is nil and people will look down their nose at you but its the most broad subject as it covers home and bugging out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

~Okay today I practised survival thinking.

iPersonal safety. NEED to study self defence, anyone any opinions on Krav Maga?
    ?

Exellent choice ,IF you can get somone to teach you some basic moves and practise them until you can do them instinctively.Be it Krav,Judo,Jiu jitsu,street fighting.The trouble with most of thes martial arts is they have degenirated into sports and long drawn out training sessions. Great if you want a sport.
    You need somthing that you can use the moment you walk out of the Dojo and you get mugged or attacked.It needs to be somthing effective and very violent as well as there are NO rules in a street fight.Obviously,the best martial art is the ancient art of running away skill:eek:...But that might not be an option either somtimes.
    I dont practise any particular type of martial art skill,I just use Bruce Lees idea.Absorb what is useful to you and disregard the rest.IOW borrow and learn from all disiplines what you feel you can use comfortably and practise those well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

trained for years in ninjutsu and boxing, the ninjutsu is pure street fighting stuff and grappling we train full contact and some of us practiced self defence scenarios also full contact and using real weapons. Everyone should know how to fight in real situations, like grizz said no rules in a street fight. Iv seen many times a "black belt" ofsome martial art or another get his head kicked in because they were not prepared for the sure violence of a scrap. A martial art that involves grappling would be a great start imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Iv seen many times a "black belt" ofsome martial art or another get his head kicked in because they were not prepared for the sure violence of a scrap.
    Yeah, back in my misspent youth I watched a proper sloping forehead cream cracker back a half dozen ponytailed and tattooed eastern european security guards into a corner as I munched a chicken burger in a well known fast food outlet after a night club. One of them was weeping, from the looks of it. I take after me oul granny I think, she always did love to watch a good scrap, god rest her.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Got the frame of a second hand (free) 8x6 Aluminum glasshouse together, a grand youngfella in B&Q sorted me out with a bag of stainless steel bolts that are used to hold them together.

Also collected two boxes of Augmentin and Britapen,

Forgot, collected 2 x 5 Gallon drums for holding water.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[
    QUOTE=kildare.17hmr;76063470]trained for years in ninjitsu and boxing, the ninjitsu is pure street fighting stuff and grappling we train full contact and some of us practiced self defence scenarios also full contact and using real weapons.

As in Ninja??Black masked guys climbing walls with swords and throwing stars??
    :confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    [

As in Ninja??Black masked guys climbing walls with swords and throwing stars??
    :confused:
    haha yup those guys. We did train with swords and nunchaku but that was just for demonstrations, we did alot of them in shows. The self defence was getting attacked with knives, bats and multiple attackers and the likes and We fought in full contact mixed martial arts competitions in ireland and the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

FIRE
    I taught my kids how to use a fire extinguisher and what each type was used for

• Registered Users Posts: 24 OneGoalNoSoul

Searched through my old things and found a Firesteel, a Petzl Headlamp and Ray Mears Essential Bushcraft, not much but a nice start. A source of Fire and Light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

I made up a paracord bracelet last night, and when I finish this cuppa, i'll get some cotton wool/vaseline tinder's sorted. I'll see if I can light the stove with one using a firesteel later.

Picked up a cheap (5Euro) alcohol burner the other day, just drinking a cuppa made with it now. I found 50ml and 100ml bottles for the meths in Boots. I can't seem to get the bearcans to work right for me, anyway, I think I made my 'stand' to low. How high above the jets should the stand hold things?

I'm going back through old posts for ideas for a get home bag, thanks for the info thus far.

Advertisement