Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I bet the snips are responsible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Read that earlier. But I wouldn't even go out walking my dogs at that hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

So some scumbags set the slide in the Millenium Park playground on fire again last night.

Doubt Fingal will rebuild it again since this is the second time it has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

January wrote: »
    So some scumbags set the slide in the Millenium Park playground on fire again last night.

Doubt Fingal will rebuild it again since this is the second time it has happened.

Ah no :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

These playgrounds should be fitted with cctv and have proper fencing.

Scum that's all they are.

These are the ones that will always say they have and get nothing and they have nothing to do.

Its funny these are most likely teens that never had any discipline and now they are trying to ban giving a child a slap. Not a punch or permanent pain or damage just a slap when they have done something really bad.

Kids I find these days in a lot of circumstances have no respect for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

January wrote: »

Someone told me this was on FM104's phone show tonight, I dont listen to it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Anyone have any information on a car burned out on the middle of the road in Elmwood, Hartstown last night? Was quite disturbing to see in the middle of an estate in the early evening. Was removed this morning with charred remains all over the grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Someone told me this was on FM104's phone show tonight, I dont listen to it myself.

I don't listen to it myself but saw some things on Facebook about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭jeffk

Herself was saying it was on Dublin talks on 98FM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Registration plates going missing overnight off Phibblestown Road, presumably for vehicle cloning.

If you have screw-in plates, take them off and put panel adhesive on the back as well, unless its on to bare paintwork, in which case make up a mounting board.

Oh, and mind the eye in your head as well or some shytehawk will have that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

According to a post from Cllr David McGuinness, the prefabs next to the gym of Castleknock Community College burned down. Possibly arson, but not confirmed. The photos are pretty shocking.

The electricity went off twice in the last two weeks in Hartstown, The amount of house alarms that went off is crazy - sounded like world war 3 had started, When the electricity got turned back on the alarms were still going off.

The perfect time to rob your house is when your alarm is already going off - Replace the dead battery in your house alarm.

I purchased one from adverts last year for €20, Replacing the battery took 2 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

dickwod1 wrote: »
    I purchased one from adverts last year for €20, Replacing the battery took 2 mins.

Is it legal for the ordinary Joe Soap to do this? I thought it had to be done by a Registered Installer (Home Insurance Policy) or am I thinking of something else? Apologies if I'm wide of the mark.

Is it legal for the ordinary Joe Soap to do this? I thought it had to be done by a Registered Installer (Home Insurance Policy) or am I thinking of something else? Apologies if I'm wide of the mark.

Legally speaking I dont know, When changing a dead battery your just swapping the battery connectors from the wasted battery to the new one, Not really "working" on the alarm IMO

500xNxademco-home-alarm-system-020.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Hlzm5FooNt.jpg

Anybody who's unsure ring a registered installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

http://www.thejournal.ie/double-shooting-blanchardstown-2159324-Jun2015/

Well this explains the continued looping of the Garda Helicopter at low altitudes early this evening. Its very upsetting that an incident like this occurs at all - but even worse on a warm sunny evening when there's children out playing on pretty much every residential street. Its a huge concern to hear of this >:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

KGLady wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/double-shooting-blanchardstown-2159324-Jun2015/

Well this explains the continued looping of the Garda Helicopter at low altitudes early this evening. Its very upsetting that an incident like this occurs at all - but even worse on a warm sunny evening when there's children out playing on pretty much every residential street. Its a huge concern to hear of this >:(

yeah, Blanch seems a rough spot.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ Is that really Blanchardstown though? Seems more Clonsilla, or even Ongar to me.

Howjoe1 wrote: »

I'm here about 6 years and I don't find it that rough to be honest. Some of the driving you see at the Blanchardstown Centre Roundabout (R121), the T-Junction Mountview, the roundabout at Power City and then onto the Ongar Distribution Road is some of the most dangerous and scary I've ever seen. Something needs to be done about.

^ Is that really Blanchardstown though? Seems more Clonsilla, or even Ongar to me.

Are they all not part of the greater Blanchardstown area? Again I'm only a blow in so could be wrong.

• Advertisement

It is Clonsilla, but most of the area gets labelled as Blanchardstown in the media. And its really not a rough area, its the scummy activities of a few people which impact on everyone who lives happily and quietly in the area.

Are they all not part of the greater Blanchardstown area? Again I'm only a blow in so could be wrong.

I don't know. It used to be Clonsilla and Blanchardstown were two separate areas. If you lived in Clonsilla you didn't put Blanchardstown on your address. Everything's so built up now though that it all runs into one big place. It's just a bit annoying to see Blanchardstown attached to every bad news story when it's debatable whether it's actually in Blanchardstown or not.

Shelerin Rd connects right into Clonsilla village, but iirc some of the estates near to it (Fortlawn) are classed as Blanchardstown. Ongar is quite a distance from it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

Howjoe1 wrote: »

I live not too far from where the shooting took place and have been here nearly 11 years. Over the years there have been occasional similar incidents, the vast majority involving one criminal trying to hurt or kill another criminal. There was a spate of attacks a few years back when there were drug gangs fighting with each other, but this wasn't confined to the Blanch area and happened all over Dublin. Since then attacks like this have become increasingly rare, but I have to say that even at the worst of it I never felt anything but 100% safe. I think that the area has an unwarranted reputation for being rough that may have been earned in the past and has stuck. It certainly doesn't seem any rougher than many parts of Dublin I've been in and the road I live in is a very peaceful cul de sac that could be anywhere in the city.

Shelerin Road is definitely in Clonsilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Straylight wrote: »
    I think that the area has an unwarranted reputation for being rough that may have been earned in the past and has stuck.

That certainly would be my view and experience, I grew up in Blanch and still live in the area. Certain parts of 'Greater Blanchardstown' were particularly rough in the 80's and part of the 90's, verging on no-go areas at night. On the whole, things have quietened down considerably but the 'rough' tag has remained to a degree.
    Straylight wrote: »
    Shelerin Road is definitely in Clonsilla.

+1. I live close to the scene of the crime and theres a real sense of shock and dismay among residents in the area, nobody wins, least not the family of the man who lost his life in the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

I could see the whole crime scene from my bedroom window. Heard the gun shots. Had I been smoking out the window at the time, I msot likely would have seen it all go down.

Creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Look folks, who cares if it's Blanch or Clonsilla = it's Dublin 15.

The issue that happened on the Shelerin road didn't start and end on the Shelerin road. Yes, the Shelerin road is technically in clonsilla but as someone else has already pointed out, the areas are physically inseparable (by the locals themselves) and most of these areas, including Hartstown are all in the greater Blanchardstown area.

Where I live, Rusheeney village is not listed as Hartstown, but Clonsilla. It's slap bang in the middle of Hartstown and is effectively bordering Clonee, but i still tell people I'm up in Hartstown.

Just to get back to the point of who cares if it's Clonsilla or Blanch. The lad who was the intended target is based in Whitestown (Blakestown/ Blanchardstown?). The fella who did the shooting, was walking freely around Whitestown just before the shooting, looking for the intended individual.

My point being, regardless of where the murder took place, the reasons for it and where it all stemmed from is related to the entire Dublin 15 area as a whole. The people involved who are well know locally, did not have a dispute in Clonsilla, or Blanch, this has been going on for years with them and it'll affect people throughout Dublin 15.

I just think it's a pointless argument to be caring where the issues is reported to have taken place and who's technically correct and who's technically incorrect as many, many people throughout D15 grew up in one part of it and moved in to another part of it and no longer see the difference at all.

Where that shooting took place was not where it started so i say again, who cares as that whole mess ended in Clonsilla but started in Blanch and the fall out will be one for the greater Blanchardstown area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The worst parts of D15 in general are greatly improved than they used to be. But D15 is vast area. Lots of diversity between different areas in it.

Personally considering how much the media get wrong I don't trust anything that is reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Where I live, Rusheeney village is not listed as Hartstown, but Clonsilla. It's slap bang in the middle of Hartstown and is effectively bordering Clonee, but i still tell people I'm up in Hartstown.

I come across this all the time through work. The areas are in fact clearly delineated through their respective townlands, however, its the residents themselves & people taking it upon themselves to decide where they live that tends to muddy the waters. For example, Hartstown being referred to as Clonsilla is a common one, Its actually not in Clonsilla but most people don't actually care one way or the other as their respective boundaries meet & An Post will deliver post to the hartstown address with or without it being added anyway, until we get our new postal codes its a system that is open to interpretation & is enforced by no one except the LA planning department & then only when it suits them... Some of the addresses iIve seen people claim as their own beggar belief, all based on barony & road names & suchlike.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

The point, Chuck, about where the incident took place is how it's reported in the news. Look at any online report about this and see the comments underneath all pointing the finger at Blanchardstown like it's the worst place in Dublin. A number of years ago Blanchardstown was pretty bad for this type of thing and was in the news a lot for it. Recently it hasn't been and yet people still have this idea about the place. Now maybe it's a case of Blanchardstown being a recognisable place geographically speaking, if they said Clonsilla on the news nobody would know exactly where it was, I don't know. The problem with that is those of us who actually live in Blanchardstown and can't decide to say we live somewhere else get painted with this kind of incident and I for one get pretty sick of getting the same reaction anytime I meet someone new and mention that I'm from here. Would it even be so hard for the news to report it as happening in "the greater Blanchardstown area" rather than just Blanchardstown? I wonder if the reason so many people claim their address as Clonee or Clonsilla is for that very reason.

In terms of Neighbourhood Watch it's irrelevant as it is all Dublin 15 but in wider terms it matters where they report it as.

Advertisement