Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Barbour wax jacket

Options
  • 19-12-2012 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi all: I'm thinking of buying a Barbour wax jacket. I've read that they can become pretty smelly and this is putting me off. Does anybody have any experience with one? Also, the black ones seems to show lint up a lot (in the shop, at least). Does anybody know them to be particularly problematic when it comes to lint? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Yes they can stink, but in a sort of comfort way its nice. Coming in from the cold rain into a pub with a nice open fire, that kind of damp musty smell.
    For everyday id say no, they are also heavy lack warmth and are not waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Nyberg

I wear my barbour wax jacket everyday and haven't noticed a smell, maybe i don't have it long enough.
    Don't have anything that molts within a 5 mile radius, i have a lovely grey scarf and the wax jacket is covered in lint. A damp cloth takes it off, but be ready to have one in your pocket all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

None of mine smell. Not bad with lint either.
    padi89 wrote: »
    For everyday id say no, they are also heavy lack warmth and are not waterproof.

They're not that heavy, they're warm and even moreso with a zip-in lining, and I've never had a problem with waterproofing whether out in the rain on my bike, or out hunting for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Buy the wax from either House of Ireland or Arnotts and do it yourself. It takes about an 30 minutes with a lint free rag, a cheap saucepan or basin, a hairdryer and a spare pair of hands to hold it down while you wax.

The official Barbour wax is about 15 quid a tin, and you should get 2-3 waxings out of it. Having waxed other jackets before with waxes other than Barbours, I'd recommend getting the official stuff, the others are smellier and don't last as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

A saddler could probably reproof and repair your coat

• Advertisement
Advertisement