Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Longwave Radio Atlantic 252

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

irishh_bob wrote: »
    without doubt the naffest thing every put on the airwaves , sounded like they were broadcasting out of a sealed biscuit tin , to think that without it , we might never have heard of rick o shea

Jaysus that would've been a travesty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I was in my mid teens when it started up and used to listen to it avidly because there weren't so many radio stations around. It came in around the time the pirates were on their last (peg)legs as well so the choice was narrowing down to RTE and the fledgeling Century Radio which didn't reach all parts of the country anyway. The novelty did wear off after a while. By jeebus that LW sound quality was horrific and the penny did drop after a while that they were playing the same twenty records all day long :D

This song reminds me of the station for some reason. I think it might have been because it was on the loop of songs that they used to play when they were doing the test transmissions

• Site Banned Posts: 8 Chuckie pooh

Anybody who didn't know atlantic 252 was based in ireland was very slow, Call us now on 00353. Also Charlie wolf made no secret of where the station was based, he often talked about trim cattle mart on the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bump!

Atlantic 252 went on air 25 years ago as of Monday Sept 1st, so we all missed the anniversary.

read all about it

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/09/audio-25-years-since-atlantic-252-launched/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

If, like me, you grew up in Dublin with a range of radio stations available, then you went down the country and suddenly you had none, 252 was an absolute godsend.

LW was obviously a horrible way to listen to music but it was better than nothing and nothing really was the alternative.

Very fond memories of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

If, like me, you grew up in Dublin with a range of radio stations available, then you went down the country and suddenly you had none, 252 was an absolute godsend.

LW was obviously a horrible way to listen to music but it was better than nothing and nothing really was the alternative.

Very fond memories of it.

So true! Also, many cars manufactured in the '80s did not have FM on their radios anyway, so Atlantic 252 was indeed a godsend. When I changed car, that was no longer an issue. Atlantic 252 was a station that served its purpose before beginning to run out of steam. Things moved on and its time had come and gone.

My favourite period of the station was 1989 - 1991or2. I remember Sunday afternoons, when it had classic rock shows. This was a welcome novelty at the time, as indeed the whole station concept was initially.

Advertisement