Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Improving Java Skills

Options
  • 13-05-2014 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im looking for some information of where to go next to improve my Java Programming.

Not sure how exactly to describe my level of proficiency. Probably second or third year of College. I have experience creating Database Driven apps which query a database which is stored online through JDBC. I understand SQL relations etc.

What i could probably do with improving is collections. With no formal structure to my education i.e Going from year to year in college im not sure what to progress to next. It would be good to find some exercises that progressively get harder maybe. Or maybe even some kind of checklist that i can say understand that / don't understand that etc.

What would come next if i was in college? And how can i explain my proficiency so people understand what level i am at?

Any questions just ask.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Can you tell us a little bit about where you want to get to? What's your goal?

It sounds like you've made good progress, especially outside a formal education framework.

Honestly, a lot of people get to about the stage you are at, and just start working on building whatever it is they want to build, and learn more as they go.

If you were in college, you'd probably be next studying things like a general course on Algorithms and Data Structure, and getting good at implementing tricky algorithms. Practice doing that sort of thing is a good way to improve as a programmer.

Then more advanced types of fundamental exercise, more advanced algorithms & data structures, and implementing progressively bigger and more advanced applications. In terms of pure programming (excluding specific study of algorithms&data structures), students are often just given tasks to do after they get to your stage, and they learn to get better at programming as they do the tasks.

Maybe also starting to learn different languages, so you can learn the advantages and disadvantages of different paradigms.

What you should do depends on your goal. In general, write lots of code, try get feedback on it, and try solve progressively bigger and harder problems, and get your head around trickier systems, algorithms and data structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

I actually started off with HTML, then got into PHP and Databases. Really loved creating websites. Then started with Java.

I dont really have a goal as such. When you say build whatever i want to build all that springs to mind is Websites. Ive built PHP websites then just created a Java App that reads from the same database. Being able to add and view info from App and Site. Created several things similar to this. All tend to be Database connected.

Is there somewhere i can see a few projects aimed at mediocre programmers rather than complete beginners or experienced programmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Maybe try and build a web application using a Java EE stack ?

Maybe something like this would help: http://www.apress.com/9781430246268

Good advice. Will take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Maybe try and build a web application using a Java EE stack ?

Maybe something like this would help: http://www.apress.com/9781430246268

Just do it in Spring, thats what all the job advertisements are going to want.

• Advertisement

ChRoMe wrote: »

Was going to suggest that, but I am in the market for a junior role at the moment and am noticing a lot of different Java EE positions with various application servers.

Would be interested in your opinion on the merits of which stack to learn as I have to do some work myself during the next month or so. You reckon Spring / Hibernate is the safest bet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Was going to suggest that, but I am in the market for a junior role at the moment and am noticing a lot of different Java EE positions with various application servers.

Would be interested in your opinion on the merits of which stack to learn as I have to do some work myself during the next month or so. You reckon Spring / Hibernate is the safest bet ?

The *vast* majority of Java jobs are using Spring and Hibernate (+ maven). The fact your a junior makes it more important for you to get experience in them.

Whats the difference between Spring and Java?

Whats the difference between Spring and Java?

Spring is a framework built on top of Java, so comparing them doesn't make much sense.

Coming from the .Net world, it seems to solve many of the same problems as ASP.Net MVC does for ASP.Net. Probably similar to what Rails does for Ruby, and Django does for Python.

In short, it gives you a lot of functionality common to web applications (routing, authentication, web services, IoC etc.) and let's you focus on the problems rather than reinvent the wheel.

Just to be clear, you will still be using Java, just with extra API's available from the framework.

I dont think ive ever used something like that.

Signed up for this. It looks good enough. Got it for $10 in a deal and seems really good so far.

https://www.udemy.com/javaspring/#/

Also had a good read through the book mentioned and thats also a good source.

Cheers for the help.

• Advertisement

I dont think ive ever used something like that.

Signed up for this. It looks good enough. Got it for $10 in a deal and seems really good so far.

https://www.udemy.com/javaspring/#/

Also had a good read through the book mentioned and thats also a good source.

Cheers for the help.

Looks decent, I might sign up myself after the exams. Best of luck with it.

Looks decent, I might sign up myself after the exams. Best of luck with it.

Always a good coupon going so pay no more than 75% off.

Just before i start off wrong is it the Spring Tool Suite i need to install?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Always a good coupon going so pay no more than 75% off.

Where did you get the coupon? I'd be very interested in that course but can't find a valid coupon.

Synode wrote: »
    Where did you get the coupon? I'd be very interested in that course but can't find a valid coupon.

Just checked my emails and theres a constant sending of emails probably on average every 10 days.

last one was for 65% off. It was sent on the 10th and Valid for 7 days so id say they will send another batch soon.

All these are $10 now. https://www.udemy.com/collection/premium-courses

I have the web developer course from 199 down to 10 and would say its really good for someone starting. Probably a bit past it now myself but would recommend it for a starter. https://www.udemy.com/become-a-certified-web-developer/#/

Id say just sign up. They might email you a coupon straight away for money off. The creator of that course also sends regular coupons. Last one was 50% off a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

That's a fantastic course. I used it for my final year project. It's about 120 hours of content, and very well explained. He's also fantastic to help if you get stuck. Well worth the price of entry, plus it's the only set of tutorials that I could find that showed you how to get all these technologies (Maven, Hibernate, Spring) working together, rather than a load of separate tutorials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I'm going to do it over the summer in preparation for my final year in September. What did you do your final year project on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

ChRoMe wrote: »

With v6, J EE is gaining a-lot of popularity too.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

I'm interested in doing that course as well, i signed up a few days ago to Udemy (3 days ago i think) and received a 50% off voucher, which brings it down to roughly 14 euros. I'm not sure if the voucher will work more than once but if anyone wants to try PM me and ill send it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Synode wrote: »
    I'm going to do it over the summer in preparation for my final year in September. What did you do your final year project on?

It was a study on the effect that frameworks had on quality attributes for a web application. The product was using Spring etc to create a tennis website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement