Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrading from SQL Server 2005

• 21-05-2014 9:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

I've been asked to make a case for upgrading from SQL 2005, and as I've only ever used 2005, I'm here to ask you fine people for advise.

From a reporting perspective only, what would be the advantages of upgrading? I would assume there's better/broader functionality, maybe better performance? Also would it be best to take a single step up to 2008, or move up to the newest version?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Best bet is to start reading the MS White papers on upgrading SQL Server. There are numerous advantages but to me the most important is that you are running on the most current version of SQL Server. With SQL Server 2014 available you are now 4 versions behind the current version.

That said the licensing model has changed so you may need to pay more.

If you are migrating you need to look at the depreciated SQL commands, features etc and think about removing them now.

Make sure you read up on the various ways to migrate.

Make sure you practice the migration several times in a test environment and test all applications in the test environment to ensure that they work with the version of SQL Server you select.

If you are migrating you will want to migrate the OS as well to the newest available OS.

You may as well get more memory (as much as you can afford at least 1/4 of the DB size) and new CPUs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hey, thanks for that.

The server it's running off is solely used for reporting, there is actually no applications dependent on it. TBH from reading online I'm not sure if it's even worthwhile upgrading. The reporting doesn't get a whole lot of usage, maybe 130-180 report executions a day, most of which are subscriptions. The SSIS packages all run overnight basically so wouldn't effect performance during working hours.

I'm just not sure the cost/hassle of upgrading outweighs the benefit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Hey, thanks for that.

The server it's running off is solely used for reporting, there is actually no applications dependent on it. TBH from reading online I'm not sure if it's even worthwhile upgrading. The reporting doesn't get a whole lot of usage, maybe 130-180 report executions a day, most of which are subscriptions. The SSIS packages all run overnight basically so wouldn't effect performance during working hours.

I'm just not sure the cost/hassle of upgrading outweighs the benefit!

TBH if the server is just used for reporting then i cant see any massive incentive to upgrade technology wise. 2008R2 has some new reporting features like sparklines and the like but they are just nice to haves. I'd be tempted to sit tight on what you have until you need to upgrade.

Advertisement