Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

canada tv???

• 22-03-2006 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

hey, me and my mates are headin to toronto for the summer, quick questions for ne1 thats been there...

do tvs support PAL i.e. european ps2's/xbox's?

also...

are any channels available on terrestrial ariels or all on cable n such?

thanx for any help, and b4 ppl start givin out about the fact that im askin about tv, we're not that concerned wit watchin ne tv at all, was just a general curiousity!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Canada is NTSC rather than PAL

i would be amazed if no channels were available terrestrially

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

You can definitely get CBC, CTV and Global on terrestrial TV, they're the "big three" nationally. In Toronto, I'm told that you can get City TV, OMNI 1 & 2 and Toronto 1 without cable as well. There's a few other channels thrown in as well, you'll be well set for terrestrial TV in Toronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

My missus is Canadian.

There are a basic few channels free if you stick an ariel into the TV.

Don't buy any games/DVD's etc as they are all ntsc and won't work here.

Also, there are no bookies!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

wbailey wrote:
    Don't buy any games/DVD's etc as they are all ntsc and won't work here.
    I got all of my Irish-bought DVD's to work in my Canadian-bought Region 1 DVD player by just changing its region settings to Region 0. Maybe my DVD player here can play both PAL and NTSC? I'm not sure. I do know that Arrested Development Season 1 (PAL) and Season 2 (NTSC) work perfectly for me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Pretty much any TV bought here in the past 10 years can handle NTSC.

I don't think that side of the world is as accomadating with PAL though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

I got all of my Irish-bought DVD's to work in my Canadian-bought Region 1 DVD player by just changing its region settings to Region 0. Maybe my DVD player here can play both PAL and NTSC? I'm not sure. I do know that Arrested Development Season 1 (PAL) and Season 2 (NTSC) work perfectly for me here.

Yep, I should have been clearer. A lot of our dvd players will play theirs, but it is not vice-versa. The op should make sure his dvd player can play ntsc before going buying anything. I don't think games work though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

The TV's will support a PAL signal. At least most of them will. The newer they are the more likely they will. The problem with bringing an xbox is converting the power. And also, you won't be able to buy games over there unless your xbox has been altered to play North American games.

Without paying for cable you'll be able to tune CBC, CTV, Toronto 1, Global, City TV, Omni 1 and Omni 2. Oh and Global. It's a pretty good mix, you get at least three or four films a night and all of your South Park, Family Guy, Lost etc needs will be met. It's not up to par with the channels we receive here but it's decent enough and it's completely free. The cable prices were pretty reasonable if you go down that route and the service is similar to Sky Digital here.

If you want to bring some DVDs from home you can pick up multi region players for dirt cheap in Toronto. Try the China Town Centre on Spadina, or any of the electronic stores just south of College and Yonge.

If you're looking for a super cheap TV when you get there, try Uncle Jacobs in Chinatown. It's near the LCBO south of College and Spadina. He sometimes has good deals and will buy it back from you at a decent price at the end of the summer.

What I did when I lived in Toronto was buy a Super Nintendo. Cost me can$30 and picked up games for about can$5 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

Jeez forgot all about this thread, not once was i emailed about a reply by that subscription thing, which is very odd as im usually plagued by the things!

anyway thanx everyone, you've been EXTREMELY helpful, esp lodgepole. ha ha chinatown?! i cant wait to go there! thanx for the recommendations, il defo check out this uncle jacobs character....!

really lookin forward to this trip, tv or no tv.

thanx again,
    neil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

This will make more sense when you get there and see a map...

Chinatown is on Spadina, between Dundas and College. East of that stretch of road there are loads and loads of places to live for really cheap. I lived on Baldwin St* right beside the LCBO (offy) but the whole area was littered with students, Chinese, English, Scots, Irish. It's right by Chinatown for cheap and tasty eats, Baldwin Village for expensive and tasty eats, Kensington Market for cheap clothes/supermarkets... Ten minute walk from the Eaton Centre and Yonge St. All for can$365 a month.

And trying to keep relatively close to the topic, the Chinatown Centre has some wacky DVD shops that sell Asian imports (generally with English subs) for virtually nothing. I think when I left they had it at 7 for $20. So if you like Asian films it's worth a gander. If it's a good summer too you'll see Vietnamese lads running around the streets with sacks of bootlegs (current cinema stuff generally) and portable DVD players to prove the quality.

One more thing... I don't know how many Irish Internationals there's going to be this summer (football or rugby) but you'll have to pay $20 a go to watch them because they're not on regular tv, only on Setanta Satellite. The world cup will be on in a few bars, the handiest will be the Peel Pub. Possibly the Madison too. Peel pub also does world poker tour...

* as big fans of the entire Baldwin family, this pleased us

Advertisement