Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Social: The Schroedinger Beers - Saturday 28th April, Balham/Clapham

• 09-03-2012 4:13pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭

UPDATE 2: We're going to Bodean's for food, meeting outside at 6 so we can head in and join the queue/get a table at around 6:15. Depending on how busy it is we may have to find somewhere else.

In terms of pubs, we can try the Belle Vue, the Royal Oak, The Loft
    and if all else fails there's the Clarence in Balham about 10-15 minutes walk away which seemed to work out pretty well last time we were round there.

As usual, if anyone hasn't been along before PM me so we can exchange numbers and I'll keep you up to date with where we are.

UPDATE: Part 1 of the Schroedinger Beers is this Saturday 31st of March, with Part 2 following a the end of April.

We're going to X Burger House on Willesden Lane in Kilburn for food at around 6:30, then heading to Power's on Kilburn High Road when we're done. We may well move on from Power's later, given that the North London Tavern, Good Ship and Black Lion are all decent and within a few minutes walk.

If you want to come along and haven't been to a Beers before, drop me a PM and we'll trade numbers so that I can let you know if we move.

Original post below:

Right, I keep meaning to sort out a thread for the next meet-up, but March is a busy one for me so we'll see how we go.

I can't make the last weekend of the month, so for March we're realistically looking at Paddy's day (unless someone else wants to be the main point of contact for the day). I've been promising the folks Down South that we'd head their way for the next outing, but folks may prefer heading to Leicester Square for Guinness Appreciation Day St. Pats.

Alternatively, we can pick sometime in April, though for April I'm invoking Evil Modly Powahs and mandating that we go somewhere like Balham or Clapham.

As usual, vote in the poll and we'll decide once we've got an idea of numbers. I've enabled multiple choice for this one, so make sure and tick the box for every day that you can make.

When do you want the next outing to be? 28 votes

Saturday 17th March
    0%
    Saturday 31st March
    10%
    D-Generatesilvervixen84MrMatisse 3 votes
    Saturday 7th April
    28%
    Wodendr_funkensteinFysh83steThe AgogoAoifebmexiledelbowsiambrazil 8 votes
    Saturday 14th April
    17%
    ScarinaeFyshPlayboyBraziliaNZiambrazil 5 votes
    Saturday 21st April
    25%
    ScarinaeBizzyCflukesilvervixen84Brianderunnerpirateninjaexiledelbows 7 votes
    Saturday 28th April
    17%
    Scarinaesilvervixen84exiledelbowsiambrazilDr.Giggles 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Saturday 7th April
    Voted 31st March, can also do 28th April.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Saturday 28th April
    I can do the 17th, but I'm holding off voting until I know a bit better what I'm doing in April

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Saturday 14th April
    I'm leaning toward the 31st, though there's a bold part of me thinking that we can have a mini-Beers Ooop North on the 31st as a belated birthday outing for a certain Person Who Won't Be Named Until They Say They're OK With It, and a Proper Heading Daaan Saaarf Beers at the end of April.

Thoughts?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Saturday 28th April
    16747922.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Saturday 28th April
    Fysh wrote: »
    I'm leaning toward the 31st, though there's a bold part of me thinking that we can have a mini-Beers Ooop North on the 31st as a belated birthday outing for a certain Person Who Won't Be Named Until They Say They're OK With It, and a Proper Heading Daaan Saaarf Beers at the end of April.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? My main thoughts now are whether it would be feasible to actually make a cake jumper for that same person

I can’t do the 31st though, as it’s my brother’s going away party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Fishie wrote: »
    Thoughts? My main thoughts now are whether it would be feasible to actually make a cake jumper

It can be done. Must look for the video..my brother had one made for him. Horrific mess but such a gift!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Can't do the 31 March, back in the old country for an emigration party. April should be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

Saturday 28th April
    I'm up for them all except on the 14th I have to be in Camden for a gig at 7pm-ish. having not been before I'm not sure how early you guys usually start!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Saturday 14th April
    Right, mini-birthday festive outing in NW London on the 31st it is, with a Proper Daaah Saaf Beers to follow in April.

Suggestions for where to get food? Foodwise there's XS Burgers (nom!), Ruchi (Indian), Spicy Basil (Thai), Casa Reccia (Pizza/italian) and I'm sure there's some Iranian place after opening as well. Also Small & Beautiful, which isn't any one particular style of food but reliably delicious and cheap too.

I'm guessing we can decide on pubs to hit afterwards, though if the BirthdayPerson wants to choose I figure that's their prerogative :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Saturday 28th April
    /thinks of embarassing birthday themes for the London Boardsies

575935.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dr_funkenstein

Saturday 7th April
    Hey guys, sorry I keep missing this! I'd be up for next weekend :)

Saturday 28th April
    Right, mini-birthday festive outing in NW London on the 31st it is, with a Proper Daaah Saaf Beers to follow in April.

Suggestions for where to get food? Foodwise there's XS Burgers (nom!), Ruchi (Indian), Spicy Basil (Thai), Casa Reccia (Pizza/italian) and I'm sure there's some Iranian place after opening as well. Also Small & Beautiful, which isn't any one particular style of food but reliably delicious and cheap too.

I'm guessing we can decide on pubs to hit afterwards, though if the BirthdayPerson wants to choose I figure that's their prerogative :)

That X Burger place looks mouthwatering, why haven't I been there before :eek:

As for drinks afterwards, can we maybe go to Powers? If it's crap we can move on to somewhere else :)

Saturday 14th April
    That X Burger place looks mouthwatering, why haven't I been there before :eek:

As for drinks afterwards, can we maybe go to Powers? If it's crap we can move on to somewhere else :)

Works for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

Saturday 28th April
    Works for me :D

count me in too!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

Hi all, just moved here from Galway about 4 months ago and missing a good Boards Beer so hope it's ok for newbies to join you at some stage even though I can't make this Sat? :)

Technically not Irish but lived there over 5 years and feeling very homesick so hope that counts?! :o

Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Saturday 7th April
    I'm new to this (and London). Do I just show up?

Saturday 28th April
    Hi all, just moved here from Galway about 4 months ago and missing a good Boards Beer so hope it's ok for newbies to join you at some stage even though I can't make this Sat? :)

Technically not Irish but lived there over 5 years and feeling very homesick so hope that counts?! :o

Anna

The more the merrier! There will be another beers soon so definitely come along and meet us :)
    The Agogo wrote: »
    I'm new to this (and London). Do I just show up?

Yes, but keep an eye on the thread for times and places and if you like, PM Fysh or Jack B. Badd with your number so they can contact you on the day if anything changes.

Saturday 7th April
    What do Saturday's beers have to do with a (possibly) irradiated cat?

Saturday 14th April
    serrity wrote: »
    What do Saturday's beers have to do with a (possibly) irradiated cat?

Heh, I was wondering if anyone would notice that. They were originally going to be in March or April, then they ended up being kind of both. Ish. Blame it on me reading The City & The City if you like. :D

Saturday 14th April
    Beers are this Saturday 31st March in Kilburn.

We're going to X Burger House on Willesden Lane in Kilburn for food at around 6:30, then heading to Power's on Kilburn High Road when we're done. We may well move on from Power's later, given that the North London Tavern, Good Ship and Black Lion are all decent and within a few minutes walk.

If you want to come along and haven't been to a Beers before, drop me a PM and we'll trade numbers so that I can let you know if we move.

(I've crossposted this to the start of the thread to make sure everyone sees it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

\o/ burgers!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Saturday 28th April
    Will be watching Munster V Leinster in town but may head Kilburn way after. Fysh I have your number so will contact you if I'm coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭fluke

Saturday 21st April
    Won't be dining but might be in Powers. Will drop ye a text if so Fysh

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Been here since January, took me forever to find a place. Anyway living in Clapham, hopefully should be around for the beers. Everyone seems to be gone home this weekend.

Saturday 14th April
    Right, the 28th is getting close... we need some venue suggestions (food places as well as Beverage Distribution Centres, please) in Balham or Clapham. I'll be reaching out to our resident Food Guru for ideas on where to go for grub, but if anyone else has suggestions please share them :)

I hope to attend (ye can put money on this, since I am often the one who backs out last min, I know, I know!) Will be coming from East London, so if anyone's making the trek I'll happily join them. Venue wise I havent a clue, as I'm not familiar with the area but once food is involved..mmm:)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

I don't know the area either (i'm close to Edgware Road st myself) but I'll be there :)

Look forward to meeting you all

Saturday 28th April
    I hope to attend (ye can put money on this, since I am often the one who backs out last min, I know, I know!) Will be coming from East London, so if anyone's making the trek I'll happily join them. Venue wise I havent a clue, as I'm not familiar with the area but once food is involved..mmm:)

Yay!

Yay!

Jee thanks :p It's been aaaaages....

• Advertisement

Saturday 7th April
    I'll be there on the 28th, just as soon as I finish driving down from Carlisle. :eek:

Advertisement