Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tribes: Ascend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,755 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Getting back into this

Very enjoyable game

my username is headshotibes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hawke wrote: »
    Playing Raider with the new weapons, Plasma gun and the rifle. Both are great. Jammer pack is a must for me, getting into generator rooms covered in sentry's that TCN's think have it covered is priceless. Need to get points for destroying enemy sentry's even if its only 25 or 50 since I like to clean them up once then gen's down..

I love droping few screens on in the underground generator spots and few mines in entrances as doom bringer. Quite funny to see infiltrators and raiders getting blown to pieces, :D

just had a game as doombringer... 30 kills. 8.7k xp in one match :D

it was one of the most epic matches i ever had lol. got "quadra kill" too!

most epic moment. i was standing near flag and our path finder was jumping on platfrom to cap with stolen platform. he got killed in air just in front of me and the flag landed in to my hands. i walked 2 steps and caped it! :D

it was AWESOME!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I was thinking of splashing for the Doombringer class alright, some games there are enough Tech's to keep the base in good shape, and/or you need to get in and clear out the generator room.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I chucked a few quid at this to unlock some of the raider stuff but find myself playing the soldier more than anything.
    Loving the assault rifle and the thumper.
    Had a few epic games tonight,at times the action and battles are just incredible.
    Special mention to the music ingame, adrenaline inducing or what :)
    I unlocked the doombringer but so far havent played him much.
    Anyone play the technician much?
    I might unlock it next, i find myself enjoying defending more than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I'm sick of playing games where people think it's Capture the Generator instead of Capture the Flag. I played one game last night where half of our team was in the gen room defending it, don't even think we had anyone trying to clear the enemies flagstand or defend our own, ended up losing 0-5 and the people in the game still said "gg" in chat. [/rant]

Played a couple of quick games as the Doom Bringer last night - was, as I suspected, great for clearing out Infiltrator bastards from the Generator room and then quickly picking up a repair tool to fix the generator back up.

Outside, defending the flag was a little more difficult, the chain gun isn't bad and there's a certain knack to hitting people with the bullets that I've gotten better at because I spend most of my time as a Technician. Shields have limited use, but are better than nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Shiminay wrote: »
    Played a couple of quick games as the Doom Bringer last night - was, as I suspected, great for clearing out Infiltrator bastards from the Generator room and then quickly picking up a repair tool to fix the generator back up.

Outside, defending the flag was a little more difficult, the chain gun isn't bad and there's a certain knack to hitting people with the bullets that I've gotten better at because I spend most of my time as a Technician. Shields have limited use, but are better than nothing :)

What are people doing so different to me, infiltrators takes 3 shots to kill me with the jackal before i can even get a shot off and usually it takes more than 1 with the bolt launcher. I usually don't dies often but when i do it tends to be a jackal.

I find the shield does give you a second to react when someone does come into your base and you have more than 1 entrance to watch, don't usually find use for them out near open flags as they get destroyed by either snipers/mortars/etc.

I found that because I was in a generator room, I was in good shape energy wise so would be able to use my jetpack to dodge out of a lot of trouble. You really do need a proximity sensor or drop jammer to have a solid generator defence and a single turret isn't bad either on some of the more open ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭MOH

Dcully wrote: »
    Anyone play the technician much?
    I might unlock it next, i find myself enjoying defending more than anything else.

I was playing mainly that, though started getting fed up of too many games games where you'd have a Brute and and Inf camping the gen room and no one else would bother to help clear them out. I'm probably playing 50-50 Inf and Tec now, which is actually quite good - you get to see the situation from both sides and learn a lot.

Infilatrator vs Sentinel doesn't quite have the same ring as Sniper vs Spy though :(
    I'm sick of playing games where people think it's Capture the Generator instead of Capture the Flag. I played one game last night where half of our team was in the gen room defending it, don't even think we had anyone trying to clear the enemies flagstand or defend our own, ended up losing 0-5 and the people in the game still said "gg" in chat. [/rant]

They're hilarious when you're on the winning side. Sometimes it seems to degenerate into 5 v 5 battles in both gen rooms, one team has a couple of pathfinders that keep grabbing the flags, game over in minutes.

Also, someone always say 'gg' after every game :rolleyes:

Pro tip: [ brings up the quick console, then just 'mute playername' to shut up the muppets who voice chat incessantly

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    Also, someone always say 'gg' after every game :rolleyes:

Used to see this a lot in the past, seem the polite minority of the internet has made it's home on tribes.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Varik wrote: »
    Used to see this a lot in the past, seem the polite minority of the internet has made it's home on tribes.

Wouldnt be so sure about that, sure its no CoD with loudmouth kids and the most vexing rude muppets you can imagine. but its fairly bad, alot of game chats are just n00b pro, you use an OP weapon your fail etc.
    Esp if one team is doing bad they just start whineing at each other.

And I really wish people clicked team deathmatch instead of CTF if they plan to just deathmatch.

Varik wrote: »

I always say GG at the end of a game - manners don't cost anything. It used to be the done thing in every game that you'd show a bitta class and respect and thanks :) Someone catches me with a really good spinfusor shot, I'll always tip my had to them with a quick "shot" in the chat :) The only way to make games more enjoyable is to enjoy them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Someone catches me with a really good spinfusor shot, I'll always tip my had to them with a quick "shot" in the chat

Same here, tribes mid-air spinfusors and quake long range mid-air rockets always got the nod in chat from me. If only I could get more of them myself... ahhh, the sweet, sweet satisfaction.

add me, lucutusofborg

I always say GG at the end of a game - manners don't cost anything. It used to be the done thing in every game that you'd show a bitta class and respect and thanks :) Someone catches me with a really good spinfusor shot, I'll always tip my had to them with a quick "shot" in the chat :) The only way to make games more enjoyable is to enjoy them :p

I have to admit dont know if im bitter, but when I have a really bad team of deathmatchers and we lose 5-0 or 5-1 in a really fast time where the enemy pathys just run amuck, a GG at the end kinda vexs me to no end. good games are 5-4s 5-3s 3-2s that take like 40mins and the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭MOH

I have to admit dont know if im bitter, but when I have a really bad team of deathmatchers and we lose 5-0 or 5-1 in a really fast time where the enemy pathys just run amuck, a GG at the end kinda vexs me to no end. good games are 5-4s 5-3s 3-2s that take like 40mins and the likes

No, I'm the same, just seems a bit automatic when someone says gg regardless of how the game went. Winning 5-0 in 6 minutes isn't a good game.

Also, it's pure laziness, hitting tgg. Just saving that extra character instead of VGCG :)

You don't think a small token of thanks to all the people involved regardless of outcome is worth while? :p

Fair point when you get creased because you've a team of idiots who don't understand what CTF is - if that's what happens, I just move to another server.

MOH wrote: »
    No, I'm the same, just seems a bit automatic when someone says gg regardless of how the game went. Winning 5-0 in 6 minutes isn't a good game.

Also, it's pure laziness, hitting tgg. Just saving that extra character instead of VGCG :)

People spam with that, i'd rather see gg (when it was a gg or close) than hear people spamming that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Typing gg at the end has no bearing on how the game went. It is a sign of respect. In some games people even say it at the start as well.

Grimebox wrote: »
    Typing gg at the end has no bearing on how the game went. It is a sign of respect. In some games people even say it at the start as well.

Starcraft 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Most CS games (Competitive ones anyway) start with GL HF and end with either GG or..... "go ****ing kill yourself ****"....

Kinda got a bit bored of inf gone towards sniper, kinda whored pathy during betas so feel like a slowpaced class(i know that isnt the tribes way :P) but its fairly fun. And if anything its underpowerd, nice to be a sniper and not get grief due to them being loads in a game, or them being OP.

I was the only sniper on my team for several games, once I got hand of it(and spent about 60k on uprades) I got hang of it came in top3 for majority of my games. The mines are a great def and the cloak bag thing is great for at entrances people can see so infs get uncloaked, and ofc to sneak into little vantage points.

Tried the pulserifle rifle u can get for 100k in bot practise thought it was dreadfull, hit way less then the default, and I love charging up the gun like TF2 and getting a few headshots, takes like 5 hits to kill a heavy 3 for medium etc and if not headshots more I think so defo underpowerd, but very fun.

You cant beat the feeling of killing a pathfinder on low health flying away from your base with the flag from miles away, takes skill :D

shazbot

Just played quite a bit as Doombringer there and was top of my team for doing what felt like very little work :D Mines on the generator entrances all the way and a good solid defence with the chain gun and the money rolls right in.

I keep accidentally pressing my deploy instead of grenade/mine - they're both on the same side of my mouse (G700 - 4 thumb buttons)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PotatoSTALKER

Haven't played in a while, I quite like the Juggernaut class, I'm useless at flag capping but gen defence and flag stand defence is fun c:

Have they implemented a demo feature yet or any word of it coming ? I haven't really played it since before they went 1.0.

Magill wrote: »
    Have they implemented a demo feature yet or any word of it coming ? I haven't really played it since before they went 1.0.

Its free to play, you just buy gold with real money or xp earned from playing.
    Many people play fine without spending a cent of real money.
    You know your getting old when your 9 year old son joins you for a game of tribes on his pc and displays reflexes of a cat to own your ass.

Its free to play, you just buy gold with real money or xp earned from playing.
    Many people play fine without spending a cent of real money.

Oh i know, i just haven't had time because of assignments and stuff :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PotatoSTALKER

Any Irish steam groups for Tribes? :D

Cant get enough of this game right now,easily one of the best fps titles in a long time once you get into it and appreciate the gameplay.
    Probably the best community ive come across in the fps genre in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Cant get enough of this game right now,easily one of the best fps titles in a long time once you get into it and appreciate the gameplay.
    Probably the best community ive come across in the fps genre in a long time.

Agreed--Really enjoying this especially CTF.

Add me ingame razerirl.

Advertisement