Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Nations TV Coverage Poll

• 25-02-2012 1:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

BBC for me.

Reasons later. The match is on now.

6 Nations TV Coverage 113 votes

RTÉ
    0% 0 votes
    BBC
    53% 60 votes
    6 Who ?
    46% 53 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

RTE is for people without the BBC:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I prefer to watch RTE as I like to hear an Irish viewpoint and I prefer the analysis and not have constant referring to England all the time.

HD on BBC is better though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

murpho999 wrote: »
    HD on BBC is better though!

Dam UPC not having RTE2HD :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

murpho999 wrote: »
    constant referring to England all the time.

@ 73 min mark, "England V Wales at 4.00". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

RTE2 HD makes rugby so beautiful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Watch BBC mainly for match coverage but switch over to RTE for analysis because its more entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

BBC analysis is so bad , no in depth discussion

Hook and co may get it wrong a lot but at least they make a fist of dissecting the game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Give thanks and praise you are not in Canada. They are showing it tomorrow on
    Sportsnet. Setanta's successor over here had no PPV option for the game today that I could find. Many of the 'online rugby' sites are rip-off merchants and even the ones that actually show the matches live can't tell you when you can see the recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

BBC has (5.1)surround sound for most games, RTE doesn't.

Having seen both, the HD picture quality is generally better on BBC than RTE.

I've given up on most tv analysis, so can't comment on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Watch matches that dont involve Ireland on BBC in HD, watch commentary on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Horgan was v good on rte today

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Charlie 22

duckysauce wrote: »
    Horgan was v good on rte today

Yeah he was good but it is so hard to take his comments seriously when he is still in the game. At one stage he said ''for me Sexton, Kearney and Reddan were excellent today'' which was true but these guys are also his team mates.

He is good but his insights can seem biased even if not intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

luke fitzgerald on the bbc sounded like a cat caught his tongue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

BBC. Ryle Nugent- urgh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

leonard7 wrote: »

Ya he wasn't great, maybe shaggy can give him lessons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

BBC for HD

• I struggle to watch BBC commentary. I find that no one has "real" opinions and that anything even remotely controversial is said off camera. It lacks punch and even though Hook has poorly formed opinions based on a flawed understanding of the game - at least he has the capacity to cause some contention and controversy.

BBC can be lifeless too - accurate but lifeless and as someone mentioned, they refer back to the English team (almost like it has to be referenced x times per 15 minutes) at far too regular and unnecessary instances.

The image quality is better on BBC, and the Irish in-game commentary is poor if you really know the game. I remember around 2/3 years ago hearing Conor O'Shea run in-game commentary on RTE and it was distractingly brilliant. But aside from this I still prefer watching the game with commentators that are mildly biased towards the green.

Neither are bad regardless and the important thing is that you can watch it anywhere. Unlike the bloody HC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

BBC. Picture is way better (which is strange as its probably the same feed) but I cant take Ryle Nugent or hook or any of them really.Think Horgan is terrible tbh. Himself and Frankie Sheehan drive me mad. O'Shea is about RTE's only redeeming feature tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭GSF

Ryle Nugent is awful. Hugh Cahill isnt much better. Blackrock Broadcasting Corporation at its worst. Pundits on RTE are entertaining in a panto type way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

leonard7 wrote: »
    I only saw his half time contribution. Sounded very assured and concise to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Anatidaephobia

Aidric wrote: »
    I only saw his half time contribution. Sounded very assured and concise to me.

I agree, he was quite eloquent and it was interesting listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Why anyone would watch any sport on any British channel when there is another option is beyond me. Their coverage is closer to propaganda than it is to analysis.
    I would only ever do it for comedy value after England have just been hammered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Brian Moore's analysis is great.

Unfortunately, he's often paired with Eddie Butler.

Bring back Nigel Starmer-Smith I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

RTE2 HD for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Unfortunately, he's often paired with Eddie Butler

A gent who not only commentates fairly and with knowledge but actually does some research into how to pronounce a player's name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

RTE for coverage/punditry then over to BBC for the match (for HD and avoidance of Nugent or Hamilton commentary).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Brian Moore is my favourite commentator by some margin and him and Butler make a very entertaining team.

How on earth anyone accuses the BBC of favourtism towards England in comparison to our coverage is utterly beyond me. They're analysis is fairly banal (though still better then Hook) but their commentary teams are excellent. Except for Andy Nichol anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cork exile in london

anything with hook is grating on the nerves. same as dunphy.
    bbc is far better build ups and main factor is no adverts. must admit though i find phil mathews boring for irish games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭golfball37

RTE is pure tripe, self serving jingoistic nonsense with no balance. if they had a panelist from the opposing country on every week it would be watchable but they trot out the usual lets discuss Ireland to death cringfest everytime. At least the BBC give equal coverage to each nation.

RTE didn't even know or care the match in Paris was called off a few weeks ago as they were busy getting their soundbytes out. BBC viewers knew 15 mins before kick off.

if you want to watch panto propaganda watch RTE, if you want to watch Rugby switch on BBC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I always used to watch the BBC for the pictures and RTE for the half time, acknowledging that BBC commentary is bland, but still better than that little Nugent guy!

Now I am in London and all Sky'd and smart TV'd up, I can have the BBC HD pictures, but overridden with the radio 5-live commentary (which is much better than the TV commentary).

I would love then to be able to switch to RTE for the halftime Hook-show, but alas, now I am n London, no more RTE! The radio 5 guys are much better than the TV guys anyway

(though I did enjoy Woody's look of envy at Castro's flowing locks - one of the papers this morning decribed the look as one that someone would give a chocolate cake covered in fresh strawberries and hot custard!!!)

EDIT: and I completely agree with the poster above. People give out to the BBC for talking about England, but they give good coverage to everyone. In comparisonm, RTE is the most inward looking, parochial coverage there is!

Advertisement