Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Traffic Blues - RTE1 - May 31st

Comments

There was also a great example of MUPPETS not moving out of the way of mobiles responding to an emergency with lights and sirens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

foreign wrote: »
    There was also a great example of MUPPETS not moving out of the way of mobiles responding to an emergency with lights and sirens.
    Yep. Absolute cretins sitting in the outside lane of the M50 obstructing the Gardaí.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Yep. Absolute cretins sitting in the outside lane of the M50 obstructing the Gardaí.

Almost as bad as when they are obstructing me!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

@ members from the Garda Traffic Corps:

Did tonights show actually depict as acurately as possible events that you face on a daily basis? Was their any aspect you would have added on that perhaps you felt the show didn't fully display?

Any message you would have liked to have hit home to young drivers that you feel wasn't completely said on this episode? or were you just happy with the way this episode was edited and aired?

I know it was only the first episode but I just wondered if it has set a good precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭FGR

I missed it, sadly..however I hope my good colleagues referred to each and every car as a mechanically propelled vehicle.

Or was there any vehickles to be seen?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Am waiting for the RTE online stream...

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

kerry4sam wrote: »
    @ members from the Garda Traffic Corps:

Did tonights show actually depict as acurately as possible events that you face on a daily basis?

Just watched it now Kerry and to be honest I dont think it does. Not impressed at all.

Second incident with the clapped out car and provisional licence wasnt good enough tbh.

Also a lot of flaws in legislation used. Any arrest should be accompanied by correct procedure and speak. You are after all taking someones liberty away so common since would reason that everything should be done properly......and thats with no cameras rolling.

Bring back road wars:p

Just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Sighface

its up on the rte player now for anyone interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 gdamedic

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Nothing at present in the way of repeats, certainly nothing in the next month. :(

Its available on rte player, watching it on there now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

With the aid of devices that I may or may not have........

I most recently heard a chase involving a number of members, 'alpha sierra' and a silver audi TT. As was said in the programme, about 'getting a stinger out, cos this guy is going to kill someone' or something to that effect, that had to be done for the tv show. Very informal chat. On Friday night, several units and the heli chased a car from tallaght to cherrywood and then back and up towards 3 rock. It was a clear night, but Alpha Sierra still had to break off pursuit because of low cloud and then return to base for fuel. I think in the end, the car got away. The was no real informal language like there was on traffic blues. The crappy car and the teenager was from December of last year. I would say that all footage was HEAVLY edited by AGS.

Overall, it was ok, another rte special. Road/Traffic wars is a lot more gritty, and I get the impression that they have a lower tolerence to any sort of road crime that the traffic corps do. However, if the message gets out there to the general public, and people do slow down then the programme will have achieved something.

To the rest of us, it wasnt great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Godammit, I forgot about it!

Just like to point out that The RSA announced during the week that due to their budget being cut their road safety campaigns would be cut back. We have had 4 deaths ( think ) so far over the weekend. This show TBH is a big plus for road safety IMO.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Some funny quotes,

Alpha Sierra 2; ''He's tippin' along now here lads'...During chase.
    Alpha Sierra 2; ''AS2 to Letterkenny Garda Station, the pursuit has ended, driver arrested'
    Letterkenny GS; ''Thats lovely stuff!''

Just like to add that i thought that the pursuit was handed, to my shock and horror, in a profesional manor!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I also only thought that there'd probably be only one stinger in the whole country.

Also when the pursuit had ended, I was waiting for dozens of patrol cars to come rushing up, to my suprise, the motorcycle arrived, then the Mondeo, and that was it for a while. Just shows how isolated the country guards have it compared to the likes of the DMR.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

yayamark wrote: »
    Dont mean to be cynical but i presume there not going to show
    traffic members out in Fiat Ulsyesses (sp) ina chase :rolleyes: and other instances where members lack of equipment lets them down.

While clearly not Fiat Ulsyesses in the last chase the pursuit car alluded to the fact that they weren't able to keep up with the car they were pursuing, looks like they needed a motorcycle cop to keep up. Looks like the traffic corps need something with a little more juice, like the interceptors in Road Wars.

I was really surprised how light people were left off. The lads on road wars would have torn the 17yo and 160km/h business man a new one and rightfully so.

Really the 17yo's car should have been impounded, what would have happened if someone was killed after they talked to the Gardai.

And the 160km/h business man should really have gotten a big talking down and at least 4 penalty points, if not dangerous driving on top of it.

I've a great deal of respect for the AGS, however in Ireland we are just a little bit too lax about following the law and enforcing it IMO. I think we need to change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I thought it was a bit ridiculous seeing the Traffic Corps following your man up the wrong side of the dual carriageway.

the helicopter was following, surely it would have been a better choice to hold back a bit and go on the correct side of the road? not like they could do anything from behind..

anyway, I thought it was decent enough..the informal radio speak was hilarious. :D

SV wrote: »
    the helicopter was following, surely it would have been a better choice to hold back a bit and go on the correct side of the road? not like they could do anything from behind..

The car was heading for the border...it needed to be stopped...at any cost :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

donvito99 wrote: »
    And I also only thought that there'd probably be only one stinger in the whole country.

You'd be suprised. Most stations have one (in Dublin anyway, not too sure about down the country) for their main car & nearly all traffic cars / jeeps carry one!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Some funny quotes,

Alpha Sierra 2; ''He's tippin' along now here lads'...During chase.
    Alpha Sierra 2; ''AS2 to Letterkenny Garda Station, the pursuit has ended, driver arrested'
    Letterkenny GS; ''Thats lovely stuff!''

He's on the wrong side of the roundabout there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I thought it was a bit ridiculous seeing the Traffic Corps following your man up the wrong side of the dual carriageway.

anyway, I thought it was decent enough..the informal radio speak was hilarious. :D

I agree; I thought it was very reckless following him on the wrong side of the dual carriageway. There easily could have been a fatal head-on collision during this part of the chase. They should have pulled back, and driven on the correct side, especially as the helicopter was following the car overhead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 snaring

if he didn follow him there is at least 3 junctions from the dual carriageway all leading away from the correct side of dual carriageway . . . . .split second decision had to be made . . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Bruce11

they were right to follow him as if he stopped and did a u turn he would only have had the chopper following him and then they would be on the wrong side thrying to chase him. they kept their distance and were close to him.

funniest quote was at that time when one Garda voiced ove that they followed him and were flashing their headlights to warn other motorists. Sure he was ahead, how could they warn what was there before them?

anyway, I thought it was decent enough..the informal radio speak was normal. :D

Just changed that slightly for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

Just like to add that i thought that the pursuit was handed, to my shock and horror, in a profesional manor!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I also only thought that there'd probably be only one stinger in the whole country.

Also when the pursuit had ended, I was waiting for dozens of patrol cars to come rushing up, to my suprise, the motorcycle arrived, then the Mondeo, and that was it for a while. Just shows how isolated the country guards have it compared to the likes of the DMR.
    haha true true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

Did anyone hear when they had ur man stopped on the m50 for failing to yield at the lights and travelling at an excessive speed, i thought it was funny when the garda was sending the driver on the way he said to him "rite keep her lit" and them tryn to catch up with him 160 km/h 10 mins earlier, thought that was priceless!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Bruce11 wrote: »
    they were right to follow him as if he stopped and did a u turn he would only have had the chopper following him and then they would be on the wrong side thrying to chase him. they kept their distance and were close to him.

re: the bold part, much of a contradiction there?

yes if he stopped and did a u turn that would have been a case, but the chopper was following and they could have easily had cars sent ahead of him.

seriously, terrible decision.
    i realise it's a split second decision and if it had have been me I probably would have done the same thing.
    however, aren't these drivers supposed to be professionally pursuit trained?
    there was nothing professional about that.

re: the bold part, much of a contradiction there?

yes if he stopped and did a u turn that would have been a case, but the chopper was following and they could have easily had cars sent ahead of him.

seriously, terrible decision.
    i realise it's a split second decision and if it had have been me I probably would have done the same thing.
    there was nothing professional about that.

However there are very few patrol cars in the area in the first place. So it would be difficult to coordinate lots of vehicles in front.

I think it mentioned that the jeep that deployed the stinger had to rush from a Garda station 15km away, which shows how isolated the pusuit was. Nevertheless, I agree that the decision to follow on the wrong sde of the DC was stupid, although the driver probably regretted it afterwards, and it would have been awkward to go on to the correct side seeing as he had just come from the wrong side of the roundabout also. :)

LOL. Funniest comment of the day!

As for driving on the wrong side of the road, they said at the start of that clip that they had been drafted into the area for the rally weekend. Don't know if they were Dublin based but a good few of the Traffic Corp from the Castle are sent to these events around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

however, aren't these drivers supposed to be professionally pursuit trained?.

Yeah thats a good one alright, the standard car course which most garda drivers would have (alot still driving without courses though) has no persuit training in it at all.

I think they done the right thing by following the car the vehicles he was driving towards had a better chance of seeing the marked patrol car with all the lights on the go and not the clown on the astra.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Bollox. RTE Player not available outside of Ireland...

Anyone find a Torrent?

NTM

Advertisement