Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Move photos to NAS

• 06-09-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I have around 16GB of photos, I was hoping to move them to the NAS.

Seems to be a hard thing to so, anyone done it ?

I have a Synology NAS

Any help appreciated

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've got about 8TB of photos, and recently moved them to a NAS attached to my iMac. No problems at all.

Simply click on the folder(s) and drag to where you want the new images to reside. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

When I try to drag the Library, all I get is one file...

What am I missing here???

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Are you dragging the iPhoto or Aperture library file across ? This is a single file that contains all your images and xml files containing details of any changes or edits you've performed on the pictures. You will need to export the images from either of these apps to have them accessible individually on other devices.

Alternatively if you right-click the library file select Package Contents you should be able to navigate to the original images.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

How have you got the NAS set up? Did you add it to Finder as a network drive?

I literally go into the pictures folder and copy all the files over to my NAS by dragging and dropping. I've a Synology NAS as well btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

DubDJ wrote: »
    How have you got the NAS set up? Did you add it to Finder as a network drive?

I literally go into the pictures folder and copy all the files over to my NAS by dragging and dropping. I've a Synology NAS as well btw.

If you use Aperture or iPhoto then all the images are stored together in one large .library file, I suspect this is what he's copying across to the NAS. The file can't be viewed on any other device so I think he needs to copy across the individual images rather than the whole library file if he plans on viewing them on other devices.

Ken

• Advertisement
Advertisement