Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know of any musical facts that more people should be aware of?

• 07-03-2012 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

I think it's sad that Danny Whitten (from Neil Youngs backing band Crazy Horse and inspiration for the song The Needle And The Damage Done) wrote and performed a song as beautiful as I Don't Want To Talk About It but that most people are more familiar with Rod Stewarts cover version. The original is far superior. It has some slide guitar that sounds like it's crying and the words are really beautiful when sung by the right person. I think it's a travesty that more people aren't aware of who wrote it.

Does anyone else have any facts about music that they think should be more widely known?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Jimmy MacCarthy has paved the way for the successes of Tommy Fleming, Christy Moore, Mary Black and others in trad music.

Wonderwall by Oasis was originally meant to be a B-Side with Noel Gallagher on lead vocals.

The sound range of a piano covers more than the whole range of an Orchestra.

40 billion songs are illegally downloaded every year.

Queen released the first pop video that was Bohemian Rhapsody in 1975.

Robbie Williams is the biggest selling solo artist in the UK and the best selling non-Latino artist in Latin America.

The US holds 31.3% of the world's total music share.

Spirit In The Sky has reached #1 in the UK on three different occasions by three different artists

Martha My Dear by The Beatles was about Macca's sheepdog Martha.

At 29 singles, AC/DC hold the record for the greatest number of singles without ever reaching the top 10 in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Freddie Mercury used to have a clothes stall that sold somewhat flamboyant clothes before he was famous. Noddy Holder was a customer and Freddie would always be telling him about Queen and how he should come and check them out. Noddy used to just think he was another wannabe and never bothered.
    Noddy Holder used to poop into glass dishes for a richman who liked to watch for money before he was famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

karaokeman wrote: »

Martha My Dear by The Beatles was about Macca's sheepdog Martha.

I actually knew about this, but was always puzzled by the lyric...."hold your hand out you silly girl..." :confused:

I'll contribute one fact : The album "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis, is the biggest selling jazz album of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,483 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Due to an error at the recording plant, Billy Joel's first solo album 'Cold Spring Harbor' made his vocals sound 'chipmunk'.

And, oh yeah...ZEPPELIN RULES!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

karaokeman wrote: »
    40 billion songs are illegally downloaded every year.
    How did whoever calculated it arrive at that conclusion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

Mike Nesmith (of the Monkees)- his mother invented Tippex.

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/nesmith.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭odonopenmic

As people with perfect pitch get older, their internal pitch can sharpen by up to one semi tone. So instead of hearing a G as a G, they'll hear it as a G sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭larchielads

Oasis are better than blur!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭odonopenmic

When Warren Zevon was a kid he used to go down to Stravinsky's house to study classical music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

As people with perfect pitch get older, their internal pitch can sharpen by up to one semi tone. So instead of hearing a G as a G, they'll hear it as a G sharp.
    WTF
    That is crazy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Bob Dylan is a fan of rap music (Public Enemy and Ice-T for instance) and appeared on a record in 1986 with rapper Kurtis Blow. His grandson Pablo Dylan has also 'launched a rap career' and thinks Bob Dylan was "the Jay-Z of his time". :o

The WISH YOU WERE HERE album was done as a **** you to their record company. The artwork on the cover and the songs welcome to the machine and have a cigar all signified this.
    They were being rushed into churning out an album and felt they werent ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

So that's why some older bands tune down a half step !!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The longest piece of music ever recorded, and still being recorded, is 'Longplayer' by Jem Finer. Recording started 12 years ago and isn't due to end until 2999!

http://longplayer.org/what/overview.php

• Registered Users Posts: 12,829 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Johnny Depp played guitar on Oasis' song Fade In-Out from Be Here Now.

Neil Young was originally going to produce Love's Forever Changes album. However, he had back out due to commitments with Buffalo Springfield but he did help to arrange the song, The Daily Planet.

When Kate Bush topped the UK charts in 1978 with Wuthering Heights, it was the first time that a female artist had done so with a self-written song.

I Feel Fine by the Beatles is the first recording to purposely feature feedback from a guitar.

The Irish band, Eire Apparent released one studio album (Sunrise) which was produced by and also featured guitar work by Jimi Hendrix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

BellX1 lead singer Paul Noonan is a cousin of Michael Noonan TD minister for finance.

Not sure if people should actually be more aware of that! Just a useless nugget of info...

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Chris Martin of Coldplay collaborated with Kirk Degiorgio (highly regarded electronic music producer) on a great techno track credited to Beetlejuice and called 'Whatever Happened to the Cosmic Kid?'. Useless info really but thought I'd share it.. :pac:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Beetlejuice+%282%29

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

"You really got me" by the Kinks is credited as having invented heavy metal. The influential distortion sound of the guitar track was created after guitarist Dave Davies sliced the speaker cone of his guitar amplifier with a razor blade and poked it with a pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,829 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

According to the Guiness Book Of Records, Endtroducing by DJ Shadow is the first album to be created completely from samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

bullpost wrote: »
    "You really got me" by the Kinks is credited as having invented heavy metal. The influential distortion sound of the guitar track was created after guitarist Dave Davies sliced the speaker cone of his guitar amplifier with a razor blade and poked it with a pin.

Didn't Link Wray do that first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Creedence Clearwater Revival were originally called The Golliwogs

Creedence Clearwater Revival were originally called The Golliwogs
    There is a band n the musician section called the minstrells , they need a guitarist or something , their name doesnt need to be changed apparantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

cloptrop wrote: »
    There is a band n the musician section called the minstrells , they need a guitarist or something , their name doesnt need to be changed apparantly.
    Why would it?

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Why would it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minstrel_show

Im very liberal , I dont get annoyed when people are overly racist or overly pc, but I do know that some people find this **** very upsetting , some people look for a reason to fein upset, I think this is a subject best avoided for a new band .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

rcaz wrote: »
    bullpost wrote: »

Didn't Link Wray do that first?
    Was it not the Beatle's Helter Skelter ?

cloptrop wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minstrel_show

Im very liberal , I dont get annoyed when people are overly racist or overly pc, but I do know that some people find this **** very upsetting , some people look for a reason to fein upset, I think this is a subject best avoided for a new band .
    Minstrelsy predates nineteenth-century America (with no racial component), and even if a person took great, great offence to terminology that in any way serves as a reminder of racial insensitivity, a band called 'The Minstrels' would be very mild. I doubt a name like that is going to spell danger for a band's potential fanbase.

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Minstrelsy predates nineteenth-century America (with no racial component), and even if a person took great, great offence to terminology that in any way serves as a reminder of racial insensitivity, a band called 'The Minstrels' would be very mild. I doubt a name like that is going to spell danger for a band's potential fanbase.

Everything is only a daily mail stampede of high horsery away , I personally wouldnt risk it.
    I totally understand your arguement and feel you are right look at Kula Shakers fall from grace however and you will see when the press want to paint you as a baddy they can easily twist ****.

look at Kula Shakers fall from grace however and you will see when the press want to paint you as a baddy they can easily twist ****.
    Didn't know about all that, just had a quick read on Wikipedia, reeeeediculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

Noddy Holder used to poop into glass dishes for a richman who liked to watch for money before he was famous.

??????????

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

MrTrebus wrote: »
    ??????????

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

He wished it could be christmas every day but it wasnt so he had to resort to other ways to get paid . Sadly writing letters to santa is much easier than this , but a musician has gotta eat somehow. Didnt Pete Doherty admit to being a rent boy at some stage too. I think it was in the Libertines book .

Advertisement