Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shampoo & conditioner that DOESN'T contain silicone?

• 02-12-2009 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a brand that doesn't contain silicone/wax?
    I was in Boots today and looked at everything they had for my type of hair and they ALL contained dimethicone.

Considering splashing out on Kiehl's or Frederic Fekkai, unless anyone has any cheaper recommendations? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

I hear the French range 'Phyto' has no silicones. They have a few posts about at beaut.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I'd love to know some as well - I think Laverna (Lavera??) doesn't have any, but I didn't like it when I tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I think Burts Bees Shampoos are silicone free

http://global.burtsbees.com/natural-products/hair-shampoos/super-shiny-grapefruit-sugar-beet-shampoo.html

Thinking of buying some for myself cos they're sodium lauryl sulfate free and I want to try a shampoo that won't dry out my hair so much, spensive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 catkingcole

boots have a new brand in stock called "naked", which is supposed to be "98%" natural. as far as i remember there was no silocones in it? no SLS anyway, but i found the shampoo must've had something else worse than that because it made my boyfriends scalp realllly flakey. the "intensive care" conditioner sorted out my dry ends for a while though.

a really cheap option for no silicone conditioner is this coconut conditioner they do in pennies. its a big white bottle, costs about 2 euro, i think it smells nice. not too overly coconutty. its not a thick conditioner, but i find it quite good for a while. i use it sometimes to do a "conditioner only" hair wash. i might be wrong about the no silicone thing, someone who knows more about it might correct me, but i'm pretty sure i didn't see any thing ----cone in the ingredients.

other than that, health food shops are a better place for this stuff than boots is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

All of the yes to carrots/cucumber/tomatoes range have no sillicone in them and they are mostly natural stuff in them.

Im a hairdresser and swear by these.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Silicone will block the pores and can eventually cause hair loss :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Silicone will block the pores and can eventually cause hair loss :(

It makes my scalp feel really dry. At the moment I use Linco Beer...a pretty old school shampoo/conditioner in one. I get it in Superdrug when i'm in the UK. It's really good...the hops add shine to your hair rather than silicone.

But i'm getting my hair extensions put back in next week so I was looking to try a new type of shampoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Teeth

Lush shampoo bars and solid conditioners.
    These are freakin` genius.and natural.

Teeth wrote: »
    Lush shampoo bars and solid conditioners.
    These are freakin` genius.and natural.

Wow, they have really good reviews on makeupalley, must try them!

Just to update - I bought the Lush "Ultimate shine" shampoo bar the other day, and used it with James Brown "Deeply Moisturising Conditioner" (this is the only conditioner from his range that DOESN'T contain silicone), and I am pretty amazed at the results.

My hair has felt pretty dry and the colour looked dull since I moved to a hard-water area, I can only guess this is because shampoo and conditioners with silicone have been sealing the hardwater into the hair shaft. Using this new combination, my hair is brighter, shiny and does not feel dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

All of the yes to carrots/cucumber/tomatoes range have no sillicone in them and they are mostly natural stuff in them.

Im a hairdresser and swear by these.

I'm just after looking at the Yes to Carrots website and they have dimethicone in their shampoo, condition and hair mask for All Hair Types. The strengthening/volumising ones and colour care ones don't though.

Advertisement