Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dingle Marathon/Half-Marathon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I got an email from the organiser this morning, and next year they will host an Ultra going over Connor Pass. Woo Hoo!! The distance is going to be about 45 miles. Where do I sign up???

I only wish they'd make it a 50 miler, though if they do I will probably hate myself for even suggesting this, when going over the last few miles.

I got excited and sent a text the Mrs TFB, and her only reply was "Oh my God" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

wow a 45 miler over the conor pass - I've struggled driving over the conor pass, dunno how I'd manage running it. Its interesting one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I got an email from the organiser this morning, and next year they will host an Ultra going over Connor Pass. Woo Hoo!! The distance is going to be about 45 miles. Where do I sign up???

I only wish they'd make it a 50 miler, though if they do I will probably hate myself for even suggesting this, when going over the last few miles.

I got excited and sent a text the Mrs TFB, and her only reply was "Oh my God" ...

Ha just read the email now myself and was going 'Yep I'll register for the full, €50. Bargain. Then "HANG ON A MINUTE". Can't wait. I'm there for the Ultra without a shadow of a doubt.:D

I would rather it was 50 miles mind. Maybe we should petition them for two laps of the Connor pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Surprised to see Hunnymonster or Ultraman haven't responded yet to this.. they usually detect a hint of an ultra in an instant. Sounds mad, but fantastic, if ultras are your thing. I hope and pray they get similar weather next year, as it would be a cruel hardship to run the Connor pass in wind and rain as part of any race never mind an ultra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Surprised to see Hunnymonster or Ultraman haven't responded yet to this.. they usually detect a hint of an ultra in an instant.

we have blocked noses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

ultraman1 wrote: »
    we have blockedbroken noses
    fyp.
    Go on then, count me in:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

sounds like the Dingle organisers are very much following the pattern of the Conemara organisers.

45 miles with the conor pass included would be an interesting ultra alright. It'd be great if it didn't clash with the Achill ROAR next year.

Enduro wrote: »
    sounds like the Dingle organisers are very much following the pattern of the Conemara organisers.

Yes, except everything has to be a tad steeper, higher, longer and meaner, by the looks of it.
    Enduro wrote: »
    45 miles with the conor pass included would be an interesting ultra alright. It'd be great if it didn't clash with the Achill ROAR next year.

Next year's race will be a week earlier in order to avoid clashes (this year it was Dingle, Kenmare, Blarney and ROAR all at the same weekend :eek:). Though I'd say if you run the ultra you still won't be feeling your best one week later.

Next year's race will be a week earlier in order to avoid clashes (this year it was Dingle, Kenmare, Blarney and ROAR all at the same weekend :eek:). Though I'd say if you run the ultra you still won't be feeling your best one week later.

Pffft....what sore of ENDURANCE athlete takes that long to recover from an Ultra. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Pffft....what sore of ENDURANCE athlete takes that long to recover from an Ultra.

I was going to say, but....

I might end up testing that out next year. Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Saffapanter

4. The initial number sparring in the first few miles - it would have been useful to say have colour coded numbers - just like the medal ribbons - gree for full, yellow for half - it was easy to get caught running along with a group who all turned out to be half marathoners.

The number were colour coded. Full were yellow numbers on green background. Half were green numbers on yellow background.
    Only discovered this a couple of miles into the race. Organisers could have highlighted this before.
    A half start in Dunquin would mean more spectators at the finish for the full runners - and the half runners. Don't know if the finish area would cope with the masses.
    Perhaps the buses could be open top so the half finishers could cheer on the full runners as they pass.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dmire

Perhaps the buses could be open top so the half finishers could cheer on the full runners as they pass.:)

I'm afraid that would never work... there is only 1 open top bus in Kerry and that is in use every September bringing the victorious Kerry team around Tralee ;)

According to the Ultra Running Ireland website the Dingle Ultra is looking like it's be a 50 miler. I look forward to those extra 5 miles. :D
    http://www.ultrarunningireland.com/live/irish-races/

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

According to the Ultra Running Ireland website the Dingle Ultra is looking like it's be a 50 miler. I look forward to those extra 5 miles. :D

This is ridiculously exciting!

Now to shake off this manflu I've had the past while and get back training. Next years calendar of events looks like it could be great.

Any ideas when the Celtic 24 and Wild Irish Run will be, roughly?

When he sent that email round a few weeks ago, I emailed Ken Dunne and asked him if he would consider stretching the ultra distance to 50 miles.

He promptly replied that the distance may indeed end up being 50 miles, and that he would gladly send any casualties my way. :rolleyes:

I got the impression that he had gotten that idea already all on his own though.

I asked him to increase it by 5 miles too. The power of boards eh?! :D

Would that be "great minds think alike" or "fools seldom differ", then?

Would that be "great minds think alike" or "fools seldom differ", then?

Great minds. Of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ford7700

Anyone looking to sell their number for the dingle half marathon .Left it too late to register and it was sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Also looking for a Dingle Reg, have everything else sorted, accommodation etc but forgot the most important part, actually registering for the bloody thing. will pay whatever costs incl postage for it. Thanks

PM me if you have, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

If ye haven't already get in touch with the organisers, there is a cancellation list that you can be put on. I left it too late to register online, but got a place from them this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ford7700

The waiting list is long. They told me to just forget about it and they look forward to seeing me next year .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Ford7700 wrote: »
    The waiting list is long. They told me to just forget about it and they look forward to seeing me next year .

Ah that's a pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

One week to go people !

Will treat this one as a training run as only slowly getting back into shape...

echancrure wrote: »
    One week to go people !

Will treat this one as a training run as only slowly getting back into shape...

Me too! Stunning scenery for a training run, that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 locombia

Signed up to do the half. What's the route like in general apart from the spectacular scenery? Any nasty hills that I should be made aware of? Is there an elevation map about?

Looking forward to the weekend!! :D:D:D

locombia wrote: »
    Signed up to do the half. What's the route like in general apart from the spectacular scenery? Any nasty hills that I should be made aware of? Is there an elevation map about?

Looking forward to the weekend!! :D:D:D

Well I have never ran it but according to:
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/47684842

the half seems mildly undulating only.

Weather looks cool and wet.

Well I planned to treat this as a training run broken into three sections:

0-8m at 8:15
    8-17m at 7:55
    17-26.2 at 7:35

in preparation for a (sub 3) Dublin (I know this is still kinda of slow but I am trying to get back into fitness, knocking 5 seconds per mile per week in my training runs). I managed not to go too fast at the start with about only 4 minutes ahead at 17m.

Then things started to get interesting at I started to increase my pace. I passed the 3:30 pacers, I caught half a dozen runners on the climb of the day. Same amount in the descent feeling nice and controlled and flying, feeling much better than on training runs on my own.

As I played with my stopwatch in the last miles timing myself for some of the miles I didn't really know what my time would be on the finish line. So I was surprised to see 3:20 something instead of the 3:27 as planned. I must have averaged about 7:10 for the last 9 miles. Not bad in the middle of a training week with 66 miles overall. Finished 19th with 3:20:19 and a negative split.

Dingle marathon has superb scenery and a great atmosphere. Having done Connemarathon 3 times I reckon Dingle has slightly more support en route and is slightly easier than Connemara. I like them both.

I feel reassured with the way this run went. Fingers crossed, I am on target for DCM.

I was running with the 3:30 pacers, though I must have blinked when you passed us. Well done, great finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

There seems to be a mess up with the times, my gun time and chip time has a 2 second difference and I didn't cross the start line for at least 2 mins. Good few people saying similar problems on dingles facebook page.

Advertisement