Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roof Racks

Options
  • 24-10-2014 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey,
    Just looking for some advice on roof racks. I have a 6'8 board and drive a 5 door opel astra. Anyone able to recommend roof racks? Was looking at some roof racks on magicseaweed btu cant post links as im a new user. In general, would everything be included in a package, eg the actual bars and tie down straps? I've never used roof racks before so any help is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You should easily be able to fit the board in the car and will save time and money doing do. If you do need a rack got to a good motor factors and get a set of bars and fixings for your car, when you change car you only have to change the fixings.

Soft racks are a waste of money only good for rental cars on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

Agree with above. Save you on diesel especially, roof racks add drag to your car and will cost you in the long run.
    5 door is ideal for that size of board. Let the front seat down and leave the missus out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Nothing wrong with a soft rack. Mine works well

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shaneconnolly1

You should easily be able to fit the board in the car and will save time and money doing do. If you do need a rack got to a good motor factors and get a set of bars and fixings for your car, when you change car you only have to change the fixings.

Soft racks are a waste of money only good for rental cars on holidays.

Should have mentioned, I want to buy a longboard for the days when the waves are a bit smaller

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

Soft racks are fine but when it pisses rain they take on water which eventually seeps inside the car from the bindings above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have always spent the extra few quid on OEM (original manufacture model) roof racks. They fit the car perfectly, they're more fuel efficient, therefor cheaper in the long run, particularly if they are aero bars and there's no overhanging bars to brain yourself on. Tip; mount your longboard on the roof fins forward. The rocker puts more downward pressure than the tail.

Soft racks are handy for a short run if your stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shaneconnolly1

If I get a longboard the furthest I'd be travelling would be about 20/30 kilometres from home so would you say a soft rack would be the best bet? Also, a rack that could carry 2 short boards would be pretty handy too if surfing with a mate instead of putting them in the back seat for a longer journey while the boards take up the passenger and back seats. Anybody got any rack makes they could recommend? Preferably ones that aren't noisy or don't let rain in? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

I always get them from micks garage website. Can't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a soft rack. Mine works well

Soft racks should be used only as a stop gap on holidays and not on your normal regular commute to the beach. They are not safe at any kind of speed, even the speed limit, scratch the crap out of your roof and damage your board more with the vibration and movement because the racks aren't fully secured like proper roof racks.

Nothing screams "kook" at me more than a set of soft racks on the way to the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Got a set of these: https://www.seasucker.com/shop/surfboard-rack/

They are secure and do the job perfectly. Better fit on my car than a normal roof rack and can change to any other car in a jiffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

kodute wrote: »
    Got a set of these: https://www.seasucker.com/shop/surfboard-rack/

They are secure and do the job perfectly. Better fit on my car than a normal roof rack and can change to any other car in a jiffy.

Better fit in the sense that they are suctioned onto your roof at 4 points causing potential damage to the paintwork? More expensive than conventional oem racks from a car manufacturers too let alone spurious models. Not to mention that they cant accomodate more than 2 boards at a push without really making things unsafe.

Really OP i think there are enough guys on here who know what they are about telling you to either put the board in the car or do other road users a favour and get a set of safe hard rails and forget about softracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Better fit in the sense that they are suctioned onto your roof at 4 points causing potential damage to the paintwork? More expensive than conventional oem racks from a car manufacturers too let alone spurious models. Not to mention that they cant accomodate more than 2 boards at a push without really making things unsafe.

I believed all the same things first. Then I tried them. They were the same price as a conventional roof rack for my car. Suction doesn't damage paintwork. Haven't tried 2 boards but have left them on overnight and they were secure in the morning.

Originally got the seasuckers bike rack and was so impressed I shelled out for the surfboard rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I have the same car and got my roof rack from from the Opel garage. They can be attached and removed in 5 mins without hassle. Ant motor factors shop will sell you straps that'll hold your board, just don't go mental when tightening them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Would steer well clear of suction cup roof racks if you don't live close to surf, specially if you have a longboard

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kartoonhead

if you have to spend a little extra cash on a set to get the right fit because it will only fall back on you in the long term and do get some one to fit them for you i learned the hard way

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jeanrose770

Use Foam Noodles and lay them between the car and the boards, and if stacking the boards, in between those as well!!!
    So DIY and cheaper!!! Works great with a good strap! BOOM!

Advertisement