Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Horizon App and dont have Horizon

Options
  • 26-06-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We have the "normal" TV box and modem/phone with UPC... is there any point in installing the Horizon phone app... or do you need the Horizon box/package for it to be any use.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

No. Horizon app is useful if you want to make phone calls via your UPC phone account. It does not need the Horizon box.

Why they gave both the same name is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why they gave both the same name is beyond me.

It's called morketing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

If you have TV with UPC you can also install the TV app, also marketed as horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭VikingG

Thanks tried it out last night and it worked well... The TV app was quite good with no issues with streaming.... didn't do much on the phone but it will be very handy when travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

VikingG wrote: »
    Thanks tried it out last night and it worked well... The TV app was quite good with no issues with streaming.... didn't do much on the phone but it will be very handy when travelling.

Unfortunately not, its limited to when you are on UPC broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭mollser

dam099 wrote: »

... within your own house. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

mollser wrote: »

Not so, any UPC broadband connection will do. The remote control wont work on the Horizon remote app if your not on the same wifi as your horizon box, but TV etc is fine on any UPC conenction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

mollser wrote: »

Are you talking about the TV or phone app?

I connected to my Horizon phone via Wi-fi when I was in Crete back in April, and made a call through it. I was certainly not using UPC broadband at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭VikingG

Just to confirm I tried the phone app when I was away last week and it worked fine on a non-UPC broadband connection....

I would give 9/10 for quality as it was perfect for most of the time.. but there was a drop of about 30 seconds when my voice dropped but I could hear the other side fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

VikingG wrote: »
    Just to confirm I tried the phone app when I was away last week and it worked fine on a non-UPC broadband connection....

I would give 9/10 for quality as it was perfect for most of the time.. but there was a drop of about 30 seconds when my voice dropped but I could hear the other side fine.
    I was actually referring to the TV app as you had referred to both in your post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement