Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDP12 Final - Leinster v Ospreys 27/05/12 - KO 4pm - RTE/TG4/S4C

• 24-05-2012 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭

Seeing as the Demented Mole has done a pre match appraisal of the Os, I thought I'd kick this one off now.
    There is no doubt that the entire Leinster squad are well aware of the challenge posed by this Ospreys team; the Welsh outfit have already done the double on the table-toppers in the regular season. Having discarded the much vaunted ‘Galacticos’ and introduced hard-core Welsh talent, coaches Tandy and Humphries would love to claim the scalp of the European champions and prove that Wales’s Grand Slam was not only merited, but a harbinger of better days ahead for their four regional teams at European level.

On the basis of their league record against us alone, this could well turn out to be a much tougher affair than the HEC final. What surprised me was the stat that Dan Biggar has already over a 1000 points for the Ospreys at the age of 22!

Ecellent preview by totallegend:
    The Ospreys lift the trophy at the RDS in 2010
    Ospreys425Magners0910.jpg
    Were it not a 77th minute conversion hitting the top of the post and finding its way over the bar at the RDS on 23rd March, Leinster would now be looking to finish their season on a 30-game unbeaten run. As it was, that conversion from Dan Biggar consigned Leinster to their second defeat at the hands of the Ospreys this season, after a makeshift team fell to a 27-3 defeat at the Liberty Stadium way back in September. Add to that the disappointment which many of this team will still carry from the Ospreys' comprehensive victory in the 2010 final, Michael Cheika's last game in charge of Leinster, and the hosts will not be short of motivation coming into tomorrow's match.

Looking back at the starting line-ups from that game in 2010, the scale of the rebuilding task that has faced the Ospreys becomes clear; Lee Byrne, James Hook, Mike Phillips, Jerry Collins and Marty Holah have all moved on to pastures new with more internationals in Tommy Bowe, Nikki Walker and Huw Bennett missing the final through injury before they too leave the Liberty Stadium. Prop Paul James and the great Shane Williams will also be playing their last games in the black jersey and utility forward Jonathan Thomas is also absent having missed large chunks of the season through injury and illness. Added to the revolving door in the players' dressing room is the mid-season upheaval which saw the coaching team of Scott Johnson and Sean Holley replaced with former player Steve Tandy.

The Ospreys lineup, therefore, doesn't quite have the same star names that characterised the 'Galacticos' era. However, the perilous financial state of Welsh club rugby and the relative lack of success of the Ospreys in the Heineken Cup probably meant that this model was unsustainable in the long run. To maintain their competitiveness in the RaboDirect Pro12, the Ospreys have had to recruit smartly and this is exactly what they've done. Richard Fussell and Joe Bearman were bagged from local rivals the Dragons and have become key members of the team, while young players like Rhys Webb and Ashley Beck have come through the youth system. Hanno Dirksen and Kahn Fotuali'i have turned out to be very good signings and Dan Biggar is doing his utmost to shed his label as 'kicking out-half', but the jewel in the crown of the new Ospreys team is undoubtedly Justin Tipuric, yet another product of the Welsh conveyor belt of young backrowers and a genuine rival for Sam Warburton's number 7 jersey for the Welsh national side.
    592597.jpg
    Justin Tipuric in action against Ireland

The stunning 45-10 semi-final victory over Munster suggests that the Ospreys team are gelling nicely and having won in Dublin, Galway and Limerick this season (and only losing by a point in Belfast), the short trip across the Irish Sea won't hold too many fears for them. The demolition of Munster showcased an exciting brand of high-tempo, offloading rugby with great interplay between backs and forwards. It will be very interesting to see if the same bravado is on show tomorrow or whether the Ospreys will look to keep it tight initially and hope to expose gaps later on. The success seen by Ulster in the early part of the Heineken Cup final from taking on Leinster with a quick passing game might encourage the Ospreys to give it a go. Not surprisingly, the Ospreys have made minimal changes to the team, only Webb taking over at 9 from Fotuali'i, which sacrifices the physical presence of the Samoan international for the quicker service of Webb.

And so, to Leinster. Of the starting XV in the 2010 final, only Shane Horgan and the entire tight five of Wright, Fogarty, van der Linde, O'Kelly and Hines will not be on the field tomorrow, so there is definitely a more settled and familiar look to this side.

The tight five named for tomorrow itself shows three more changes from that which took the field seven days ago, with Heinke van der Merwe and Sean Cronin looking to build on their dynamic, try-scoring cameos against Ulster and Devin Toner looking to cap off what has been a fine season for him. The selection of Toner over Thorn sacrifices a lot of the physical strength that the Kiwi has brought to the scrum and breakdown but gives Leinster a significant option in the lineout, an area which has not been functioning perfectly for them in recent months. Sean O'Brien's surgery at the request of IRFU means that Shane Jennings reclaims the 7 jersey while Kevin McLaughlin looks to continue his excellent run of form at blindside in the hope of extending his season with a trip to New Zealand.

The changes to the team do not weaken the starting line-up significantly but what might count against Leinster is the lessened impact from the bench; Cian Healy is rated as unlikely to even make the bench, his place going to novice Jack McGrath and while Dominic Ryan is an outstanding prospect, he's a long way off being the assured presence that Jennings provides. While we saw the value of a strong bench in Twickenham, the advantage is less clear tomorrow; while the likes of John Cooney and Ian Madigan exuded confidence off the bench last week, Joe Schmidt will be less likely to make changes if the game remains in the balance.

Behind the scrum, the continuing absence of Isaac Boss and Luke Fitzgerald meant that Joe Schmidt's options for change were somewhat limited, so the backline shows no changes from that which started against Ulster. Rob Kearney needs no further praise and the centre partnership of D'Arcy and O'Driscoll continues much as it has for the last eight years. One man who will have a point to make is Fergus McFadden; the archetypal 'utility player' has struggled to nail down a jersey this year and while his long-term future may be at centre, with excellent footwork, upper body strength and blinding pace, he has all the attributes to be an excellent winger and is another who will be looking to impress the Irish management team ahead of the summer tour.
    622459.jpg
    Fergus McFadden celebrates the Heineken Cup win with Brian O'Driscoll

The challenge for Leinster lies not in their team selection or tactics, but in finding the motivation and reserves of energy to complete what has been an epic season for them. They failed to do this last year, limping to a defeat against Munster in Thomond Park a week after their triumph in Cardiff, but all the noises coming from the Leinster camp have been very clear in this regard, that the Blues are really targeting this match and that this team want to finish their season on the high note that it deserves.

Whether they can deliver on that promise will probably dictate how this game turns out. Like most games that we've seen this season, if both teams play to the best of their potential, the likely outcome is a Leinster victory, a fact reflected in the 7 point handicap being put on Leinster by Paddy Power. Given home advantage, depth of squad and the mental resolve we've seen from this Leinster side this year, it's hard to argue with those odds but the Ospreys are very well equipped to capitalise on any loss of focus or residual hangover.

This should be a cracker; the recent spell of sunshine will hopefully provide a fast ground for two teams who are not afraid to play with ball in hand and run the ball from deep. This game should provide a fitting finale to another thrilling season of rugby.

Verdict: Leinster.

Leinster: 15 Rob Kearney; 14 Fergus McFadden, 13, Brian O'Driscoll 12 Gordon D'Arcy, 11 Isa Nacewa; 10 Jonathan Sexton, 9 Eoin Reddan; 1 Heinke van der Merwe, 2 Sean Cronin, 3 Mike Ross; 4 Leo Cullen (capt), 5 Devin Toner; 6 Kevin McLaughlin, 7 Shane Jennings, 8 Jamie Heaslip.
    Replacements: 16 Richardt Strauss, 17 Cian Healy/Jack McGrath, 18 Nathan White, 19 Brad Thorn, 20 Dominic Ryan, 21 John Cooney, 22 Ian Madigan, 23 David Kearney.

Ospreys: 15 Richard Fussell; 14 Hanno Dirksen, 13 Andrew Bishop, 12 Ashley Beck, 11 Shane Williams; 10 Dan Biggar, 9 Rhys Webb; 1 Paul James, 2 Richard Hibbard, 3 Adam Jones: 4 Alun Wyn Jones (Capt), 5 Ian Evans; 6 Ryan Jones, 7 Justin Tipuric, 8 Joe Bearman.
    Replacements: 16 Scott Baldwin, 17 Ryan Bevington, 18 Aaron Jarvis, 19 James King, 20 Tom Smith, 21 Kahn Fotuali'i, 22 Matthew Morgan, 23 Tom Isaacs

Images are taken from rabodirectpro12.com and sportsfile.com, everything else is my own work. totallegend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ospreys are a good balanced side, they have a nice mix of experienced players who know the big stage and talented youngsters.

Leinster, on the other hand, look ****ing unstoppable at the moment.

Leinster by 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Ospreys are a good balanced side, they have a nice mix of experienced players who know the big stage and talented youngsters.

Leinster, on the other hand, look ****ing unstoppable at the moment.

Leinster by 10.
    They've certainly earned their place in the final. They had a lot of bad luck in the HEC with injuries, so they'll be really fired up to get something out of the season.

I think 10 is about right though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Leinster by 15 I reckon. Home advantage is worth an extra 5

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

When can we expect the teams to be announced? I'm surprised there's been no mention of them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭ongarite

I'd say tomorrow lunch time seeing as its a Sunday match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

The Ospreys might have gotten rid of the galactios but they're getting cocky again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I think Leinster really really want this and I can't see anything other than a Leinster victory in the double figures.
    rrpc wrote: »
    What surprised me was the stat that Dan Biggar has already over a 1000 points for the Ospreys at the age of 22!

Yeah, he's an underrated player, should definitely have or be getting more international caps since he's included in the Welsh squad for Australia.

Biggar challenge whets Ospreys outhalf's appetite

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Healy and seanie are out

durkadurka wrote: »
    Healy and seanie are out
    That's a big loss and I wouldn't be confident of a win now.

**** ME.. Its worse than I thought, he needs an operation for hip injury. Missing summer tour too??

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

ongarite wrote: »
    That's a big loss and I wouldn't be confident of a win now.

**** ME.. Its worse than I thought, he needs an operation for hip injury. Missing summer tour too??

Which one?? Where are you hearing that info?

• Advertisement

Bromium wrote: »
    Which one?? Where are you hearing that info?
    From the Leinster fans forum, saying SOB is out, going for op:
    http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21671

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

While SOB missing is obviously a bad thing, I'm happy with a back row of McLaughlin, Jennings, Heaslip - The problem then is the sub, is it Dom Ryan? We're short a "utility back rower" imo, though Ryan has played plenty of games at 6.

Healy - VdM not a bad swap either, McGrath on bench?

(As an aside, if SOB is out for the summer tour, that means that Ferris will pretty much be forced to play every game. God Bless his knees - he will be a cripple before he's 40)

The ospreys did us in the scrum towards the end of the last game so I'd be worried if we lost vdm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

To be fair, by the end of the last game we had lost 2 tightheads, and McGrath was forced to scrum there. It wasn't in great shape before that, but I reckon a Ross-McGrath partnership wouldn't be demolished, so it could be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

The ospreys did us in the scrum towards the end of the last game so I'd be worried if we lost vdm.

Wouldn't be as worried although it's obviously a slight concern. Ospreys mangled us in the scrum due to two injuries at tighthead and McGrath switching across. I've never seen him mangled like that at loose head.

Had heard SOB was struggling alright but thought/hoped it was just whispers. Big loss. He has improved immensely as breakdown player. Jennings is a capable player but I'd definitely be more confident with SOB on the field. VDM can deputise very capably if Healy is ruled out. If he can bring the intensity that he brought for 20 minutes against Ulster, I feel sorry for the Ospreys pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My cash is on a Leinster win with a 4pt H.Cap.

That is not meant to be in any disrespectful to Ospreys, who have beaten us twice this year, and beat us in this same fixture in the RDS before.

Leinster's attitude is right. Immediately after the HEC Final they were looking to this game. Even with the likes of S'OB and Healy (and Boss I think) not being available, I think they have huge momentum. Also, Sunday is their HEC homecoming party, and a loss on this game would pretty much piss in everyone's pints!

Also, lets not forget, the last Ospreys win was marred by a legal Leinster try being disallowed, and a Ospreys being awarded a try that shouldn't have been [not bitter] :D

Plus that conversion that hopped off the top of the post.
    Although on subsequent replays i saw their try was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Although on subsequent replays i saw their try was good.

The replays didn't show the blatantly forward pass then?

Can't remember - the grounding was ok though.

LEINSTER:
    15: Rob Kearney
    14: Fergus McFadden
    13: Brian O'Driscoll
    12: Gordon D'Arcy
    11: Isa Nacewa
    10: Jonathan Sexton
    9: Eoin Reddan
    1: Heinke van der Merwe
    2: Sean Cronin
    3: Mike Ross
    4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
    5: Devin Toner
    6: Kevin McLaughlin
    7: Shane Jennings
    8: Jamie Heaslip
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Richardt Strauss
    17: Cian Healy/Jack McGrath
    18: Nathan White
    19: Brad Thorn
    20: Dominic Ryan
    21: John Cooney
    22: Ian Madigan
    23: David Kearney
    REFEREE: Romain Poite (FFR), ASSISTANT REFEREES: George Clancy (IRFU), Neil Paterson (SRU), TMO: Giulio de Santis (FIR)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

gwan Toner! (will probably play the 80)

Hope Ryan gets 20 mins too.

Glad that Toner gets the start. He was hard done by the arrival of thorn.

Great looking team from 1 - 23. Healy still a possibility which is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Anyone got the Ospreys team yet?

15 Richard Fussell
    14 Hanno Dirksen
    13 Andrew Bishop
    12 Ashley Beck
    11 Shane Williams
    10 Dan Biggar
    9 Rhys Webb

1 Paul James
    2 Richard Hibbard
    3 Adam Jones
    4 Alun Wyn Jones (Capt)
    5 Ian Evans
    6 Ryan Jones
    7 Justin Tipuric
    8 Joe Bearman

Replacements:
    16 Scott Baldwin
    17 Ryan Bevington
    18 Aaron Jarvis
    19 James King
    20 Tom Smith
    21 Kahn Fotuali'i
    22 Matthew Morgan
    23 Tom Isaacs

The following players were not considered because of injury:
    Tommy Bowe - Haematoma
    Huw Bennett - Achilles
    Will Price - ACL
    Cai Griffiths - Arm
    Ben John - Groin
    Gareth Owen - ACL
    Nikki Walker - ACL

Shane Williams Final final final final game or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Great to see Toner and Cronin get a start and Ryan a place on the bench, hope he gets at least 20 mins. Would be nice to see Madigan get 20 or 30 minutes as well.

Strong team considering we have a few missing, role on Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Will someone please write an article for some half rag Irish newspaper about how Leinster are so good they keep an All Black who won the world cup 9 months ago on the bench in a final. Please post as much of a condescending attack on NZ rugby as you can.

Jk obviously I love Thorn far more than I hate dodgy NZ Journos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

What a potential end to the season for Cooney. Wasn't even listed in the HC final programme as a Leinster player, and come 6pm Sunday he could be collecting a Rabo medal to go with his Heineken Cup one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

You see there the problem for the Ospreys next season. They're making a bit of progress for the first time in ages but beyond the first 15 their bench does look a little weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Surprised Kahn isn't starting. Two quality 9s in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Very disappointing for Boss to not be involved due to injury again, he doesn't deserve to miss these games.

Advertisement