Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

When I was c buying last year I ended up getting a d5300 just send the best bang for buck, is a great camera. The lenses for Nikon will be dearer for Nikon ie nifty 50 on Nikon will cost you more than the equivalent on canon but the Nikon lens in that case will be more solid. It's up to you look at the store of both, they are both great cameras you can't go wrong either way, some people just prefer 1 brand over the other

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

From image quality the d5300 everytime but the canon has it's pluses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭DarraghR

I will be going away too Malta very soon and would like to get a good value action camera for scuba diving and other activities.

Also I would like to make use of the camera for home security. Method of viewing would probably be Periscope stream. If someone could recommend another method that would be great.

I mainly want to be recording in 1080p with 60fps or more. As for accessories and attachments I would mainly use a chest strap or stick. This might change over time so are the fittings on most action cameras the same?

After doing some research two models have stuck out. The ThiEYE T5e is only €100 and some of the SJCAMs. I work in a retail store and we stock the Kaiser Baas X2 so I would get that for €100 but by the looks there are better options.

I will be going away too Malta very soon and would like to get a good value action camera for scuba diving and other activities.

Also I would like to make use of the camera for home security. Method of viewing would probably be Periscope stream. If someone could recommend another method that would be great.

I mainly want to be recording in 1080p with 60fps or more. Also waterproof for diving. As for accessories and attachments I would mainly use a chest strap or stick. This might change over time so are the fittings on most action cameras the same?

Can someone please suggest a retailer in Dublin that stock action cameras that are not GoXtreme, Kaiser Baas and GoPro

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A camera thats good for "action" work will be ruined by run 24/7 as the battery will be constantly loaded. Better off buying a cheap IP cam from DX or Ali instead for that use case.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Looking for a camera for general every day family photos as I have two young kids. My son plays a lot of sports too so I wanted something with a zoom where I could zoom in for pictures when he is playing. I also help out s PRO for a local GAA club so wanted something where I could zoom in to take good quality images from sideline/stand.

Any recommendations? Budget would be max 500 but would be happy to spend as little of that as possible!

Would this be worth it:

https://ie.onedigitals.com/products/nikon-d5300-kit-with-18-55mm-vr-ii-lens-black-digital-slr-camera?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0K7NBRC7ARIsAEaqLRGL6EpZXxvla8HJbxnJDMnBJrifLu7kDOT1ldL5e_i1bgF44lqRfewaAthuEALw_wcB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

looking for a cheap (max €250 - if poss) digital camera with a flip screen on it - video option too

Might also be needed for videos but primarily a camera

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Lemlin wrote: »
    Looking for a camera for general every day family photos as I have two young kids. My son plays a lot of sports too so I wanted something with a zoom where I could zoom in for pictures when he is playing. I also help out s PRO for a local GAA club so wanted something where I could zoom in to take good quality images from sideline/stand.

Any recommendations? Budget would be max 500 but would be happy to spend as little of that as possible!

Would this be worth it:

https://ie.onedigitals.com/products/nikon-d5300-kit-with-18-55mm-vr-ii-lens-black-digital-slr-camera?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0K7NBRC7ARIsAEaqLRGL6EpZXxvla8HJbxnJDMnBJrifLu7kDOT1ldL5e_i1bgF44lqRfewaAthuEALw_wcB

I picked up one of these in the recent argos deal and it's a cracking camera nice weight and feel to it. You'll probably want at least a 300mm lens if you're planning on shooting from the sidelines.

I don't recognise the website you linked there but it's by far the cheapest price available at the minute considering the argos one was more than likely a pricing error. I'd thread carefully if ordering I generally avoid those websites with loads of pop ups embedded in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hey

Looking for my first proper camera, I enjoy taking pic on my phone and would love to invest in a decent camera & hopefully do a photography course once I have it. My budget is only about 300 quid, it is mainly for taking pics of friends and family, hols, days out etc. I know I will need to invest in lens, but if I could get something with a lens to start me out would be great. I know these things change all the time, but ideally if I could get a camera that will do me for a few years before I need to upgrade would be great.

Is it best just to buy new, or looking on donedeal etc.

Any advise would be gratefully received as there seems to be a multitude of information out there, I dont know where to start!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A €300 DSLR isnt really worth carrying for the 2% better than your phone it'll be, the 2nd hand market you'll get something.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I picked up one of these in the recent argos deal and it's a cracking camera nice weight and feel to it. You'll probably want at least a 300mm lens if you're planning on shooting from the sidelines.

I don't recognise the website you linked there but it's by far the cheapest price available at the minute considering the argos one was more than likely a pricing error. I'd thread carefully if ordering I generally avoid those websites with loads of pop ups embedded in them.

Just wondered did you end up buying this camera for this site? It is by far the cheapest around, just I have never heard of the site before so wondered if it is legit?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    A €300 DSLR isnt really worth carrying for the 2% better than your phone it'll be, the 2nd hand market you'll get something.

Thanks for the info. I am interested in getting into photography so I think I will still aim to purchase a camera, will try to up the budget a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Mimojo wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I am interested in getting into photography so I think I will still aim to purchase a camera, will try to up the budget a bit

The budget is the problem. To get better than current phone levels of image quality requires spending as much as a high-end flagship phone costs.

Good quality used is probably the best way to go. Something like an Olympus E-M5 would be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Keen2win

Hi all, just after getting a present of a Panasonic DC-FZ82 for €420 in Argos. Should I keep or exchange for something else, bearing in mind that the giver would prefer I do that if there is something better. I will probably stick to what Argos has to offer for convenience at this stage. I'm reading good reviews of this model, and am leaning towards keeping it, but any input welcome.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Keen2win wrote: »
    Hi all, just after getting a present of a Panasonic DC-FZ82 for €420 in Argos. Should I keep or exchange for something else, bearing in mind that the giver would prefer I do that if there is something better. I will probably stick to what Argos has to offer for convenience at this stage. I'm reading good reviews of this model, and am leaning towards keeping it, but any input welcome.

Yea, it's a good camera. I had a much earlier version of it,bought it back in 2008. I loved the zoom on it. You could get a higher quality image on another camera with less zoom, but if you want the zoom it's a good option. Don't expect zoomed in images to be great quality though.
    If you have the receipt and can return it you could buy it on the Irish panasonic store for €379.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

So, I am asking here after spending far too many hours on youtube and dpreview.

I have a 450d currently with 4 lenses. I will give this to the OH so she can mess around with it.

I am looking to go mirrorless as the trade off in quality/size is worth it to me, I believe. The size of the 450d and lenses stops me from bringing it on hols and using it, for this reason I will likely go to m43 but others are listed below.

The options in my head are (prices are body only):

Panasonic G80 (G81 as its known here) 675e
    Canon M5 619e
    Fuji X-T20 675e
    Olympus EM5 ii 550e
    Olympus EM10 ii 550e

I can also get a 77d for about 550e which is tempting as its such an upgrade on my 450d.

I had decided on either of the Olympus but apparently the menus are a nightmare to navigate.
    The G80 is applauded almost everywhere but is harder to get
    M5 seems to be a good all rounder and I like the menus of canon
    XT20 seems another good camera, but seems to have slowish AF

I shoot street photography and landscapes when doing city breaks mostly.

I am attracted to M43 due to the compact and good choice of affordable lenses. Fuji lenses are meant to be very good, but quite expensive too.

I am going to MediaMarkt on Saturday to test all cameras above but wanted to see if anyone has personal experience here of any of the cameras.

Thanks for reading.

I currently have an E-M1 and had an original E-M5. The menus are involved and complex because of the massive amount of options and flexibility offered.

The negativity is really a bit of a beat-up because you rarely have to use the menus and for most shooting can use what Olympus call the Super Control panel which is simple, easy and powerful and obviates the need to go menu diving altogether. The other menu avoidance mechanism is the programmable user 'sets' where you save a whole-camera configuration to a set. There is an initial pain of using the menus to map your preferred functions to all the buttons levers and dials, but once that is done and saved as a set, the menus become near superfluous.

Super Control Panel, which is direct touchscreen access to most common functions:
    EM_1_Super_Control_Panel.jpg

If compact is what you are after then m4/3 is the way to go. The fuji and the canon are small bodies but they still have an aps-c sensor so the lenses will still be large which defeats the purpose.

The g80 can be got from the panasonic store. The is also good deals on the gx8 atm.

Edit: I didnt realize you were in a different country so disgard the bit about the panasonic store.

Thanks for that. I was hoping that it was just reviewers nit picking. I will only need the standard manual mode most of the time anyway and once the initial setup is done as you say, it should be fine.

The EM5 ii is about the same price as the EM10 ii. Latter has a newer processor and 4k (which isnt important) and the M5 has weather sealing and a slightly better IBIS system I believe, what would you pick? Or save the 200quid and get the EM10 ii?

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    If compact is what you are after then m4/3 is the way to go. The fuji and the canon are small bodies but they still have an aps-c sensor so the lenses will still be large which defeats the purpose.

The g80 can be got from the panasonic store. The is also good deals on the gx8 atm.

Edit: I didnt realize you were in a different country so disgard the bit about the panasonic store.

Exactly my thinking, not much point getting a mirrorless for size reduction when you need a big EF lens from my 450d on it.

Chances are I will be buying the camera from einfinity, as the prices are pretty fantastic, although I may wait until Black Friday in the off chance there are good deals.

Exactly my thinking, not much point getting a mirrorless for size reduction when you need a big EF lens from my 450d on it.

Chances are I will be buying the camera from einfinity, as the prices are pretty fantastic, although I may wait until Black Friday in the off chance there are good deals.

The other major advantage with m4/3 is the cross compatibility with lenses between manufacturers. There is lots of high quality glass available from olympus and panasonic, even many of the cheaper lenses perform very well and the range of lenses is vast.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I was hoping that it was just reviewers nit picking. I will only need the standard manual mode most of the time anyway and once the initial setup is done as you say, it should be fine.

The EM5 ii is about the same price as the EM10 ii. Latter has a newer processor and 4k (which isnt important) and the M5 has weather sealing and a slightly better IBIS system I believe, what would you pick? Or save the 200quid and get the EM10 ii?

The E-M5 II. It has the super resolution mode which would be very nice for landscapes without moving elements and anything else where the scene is static. As you say, weather sealing. Very much a whole different category of camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Hello! Apologies if this has been asked recently but I'm hoping for some advice regarding entry level DSLRs.

I've been looking at the Canon EOS 1300D with an EFS18-55mm IS II Lens and the Nikon D3400 with an AF-P 18-55mm Lens.

I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some advice around which would be be better in terms of performance, user friendliness etc. and even some insight into which would be better for the future for upgrading lenses etc.

Any info would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Its the classic duopoly. They're both absolutely fine for your needs.

Lyons/Barrys
    Boeing/Airbus
    Merc/BMW
    Easyjet/Ryanair

I would say though that I've held 3xxx series Nikons and i much prefer the 5xxx series ones.

I've a 7xxx series camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

bren2002 wrote: »
    Its the classic duopoly. They're both absolutely fine for your needs.

Lyons/Barrys
    Boeing/Airbus
    Merc/BMW
    Easyjet/Ryanair

This. Go into a shop and hold both cameras. Take some shots, change some settings, scroll through the menus. Choose the one that feels best in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

^These.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Thanks for the feedback! I'm leaning towards the Nikon really based on reviews elsewhere. I know with Canon you get a half day's training course as well though. Any idea if those training days are worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Nah, you tube videos are better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

A half day training will not achieve much. Without any information I would suspect it would be more sales oriented. What I suspect will be shown is the same as you would get from RTFM and Youtube. What will probably happen is that they will let you use the camera with different lenses and other accessories to whet your appetite for more gear.

If you want to learn about photography then joining a local camera club is a very good idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I got a great book on youtube with QR codes to online videos. Taught me a lot. Got if gor about €6 in a sale. It's Tony Northrup's book. He has good tutorials on YouTube as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

I want to buy compact camera that I can see the 3'' screen in bright sunshine. No more than €200 to spend .

Advertisement