Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foraging for mushrooms

• 23-03-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

We have lived here for 2 yrs. Before that we lived in France and used to love foraging for cepes and chantereles. Are there cepes in NW Ireland ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Apparently yes, have never gone looking for ceps in the NW, but do so every year in Germany.

I don't know where you would find them In the NW, but I would imagine the climate is perfect for them there. I would suggest looking in a mixed forest, there's bound to be plenty.

What part of the Northwest specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

Maybe you could ask Stuart on his Donegal Wildlife blog if he knows a good place? The blog's at:

http://www.donegal-wildlife.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cipeen

Yup. We have Ceps, Chantereles, Giroles, Hedgehogs, Horn of Plenty and other edible fungi in west Donegal.

I'm not going to give precise locations for obvious reasons, but let's just say that fungi like ancient forest and clean air. Check your maps.

Oh, btw, we also have deadly fungi like Death Cap and Destroying Angel alongside the edibles, so be VERY careful.

Advertisement