Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking refuge

• 10-05-2006 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am seriously considering joining a buddhist centre for the past couple of months now. I have been interested in Buddhsim since i was 13 (I'm 21) and have read many many books on the subject. I think its about time i should join a centre as I feel this would help me practise better.

I really want to join a centre in Dublin City Centre. Could anyone recommend one or even know what the process is for anyone interested in joining?

Thanks

-Luke

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think you should go along and visit some of them and see what you think of them and their discussions/courses before really "joining one". There's a sticky here at the top of this forum with a list of the centres in dublin. Go to their sites or ring them, and hop along sometime and get a feel for the place.

I've been studying on my own+online so I haven't been to one yet. Though I'd recommend one with an actual tradition other than "we take bits of western buddhism"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

bluewolf wrote:
    Though I'd recommend one with an actual tradition other than "we take bits of western buddhism"

Great advice Bluewolf, agree with you. Their are many who claim to be Buddhist. Check them all out and see which one you find appealing, Then do some research on that one and ask some questions on it here. We have many people from different schools of Buddhism here. Check out the thread I posted on the different schools. What exactly do you think you are looking for?

Here is the link
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054922217

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭LukeyJudo22

yeah exactly,

Ive been in two minds about this because I dont want to go to a centre thats run by a charlatan or one that isn't genuine. As far as teaching myself and learning for myself goes, I really enjoy it but it would be nice to be able to practice with people of a like minded nature.

I guess the question I've really been asking myself is... do i really need to go to a centre?

Thanks you two fro your informative and speedy replies! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I wouldn't say "really need", after all buddha didn't have a sangha (though we do take refuge in them I suppose), and if you want to study sutras they are mostly printed online and there are discussion boards
    I personally think I'm doing ok without one but I do definitely have it on my to-do list

Sure why don't you just go along to an open session and judge for yourself whether you think it's necessary? Meet the people running them and see if they seem genuine to you.
    To be honest you're the only one who can tell you if you need to go to one or not...it's all a learning experience anyway

Tuesday evenings in the Kilmainhaim tibetan centre is what I would have done had I not been otherwise engaged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

bluewolf wrote:
    Tuesday evenings in the Kilmainhaim tibetan centre is what I would have done had I not been otherwise engaged
    Yep. Their website is www.buddhism.ie

• Advertisement

Asiaprod wrote:
    What exactly do you think you are looking for?

Good question.

Im looking for ...the cessation of all suffering, to practice loving kindness every day and to become truly compassionate, a mind that is not easily distracted by the worldy winds, to extinguish my desires including the desires i have mentioned above and much much more....

As far as a Buddhist school goes Im looking for a place for me to meditate in a conducive atmosphere... as I know i am too lazy to still my mind at home and I'd much rather watch the latest episode of the simpsons! :)

So am I going to find the answers to all my questions in a centre in Dublin?

Not exactly seeing as Buddhism teaches all the answers are inside me already... but i think it's easier to be shown the way rather than finding it yourself...

What do you think?

Thansk for the reply

and thanks Bluewolf for your information!

-Luke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Not exactly seeing as Buddhism teaches all the answers are inside me already... but i think it's easier to be shown the way rather than finding it yourself...

What do you think?

A combination might be good? :)

maitri wrote:
    A combination might be good? :)

hmm ... a middle way perhaps? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Im looking for ...the cessation of all suffering, to practice loving kindness every day and to become truly compassionate, a mind that is not easily distracted by the worldy winds, to extinguish my desires including the desires i have mentioned above and much much more....

As far as a Buddhist school goes Im looking for a place for me to meditate in a conducive atmosphere... as I know i am too lazy to still my mind at home and I'd much rather watch the latest episode of the simpsons! :)

Hi,

I don't practise Buddhism or anything, just lurking, but as an observation, perhaps joining a centre would be beneficial (at least to avoid distractions such as watching the simpsons!) to achieving some of your your goals, simply due to the nature your mind can work.

From going to a centre and meditating, praying, what have you, some of your desired goals/thoughts/behaviours will align with these past actions so as to remain consistent with them (i.e. you'll consider yourself more of a buddhist in this way than by doing it at home, and thus will act accordingly in these ways). I'm not saying that the cessation of all suffering and so on is as simple as "tricking" your mind into it, but on a purely superficial level to get you started, it may help. Good luck on your journey!

Nothing quite as enjoyable as turning up the heat a notch.

In short Luke, my advice would be to go to a centre and practice with like minds there. IMHO you will benefit from it. Why? I hope the second part of this answer will answer that for you.

First a little background. I am an ex Roman Catholic. I moved to Japan and I have been studying and practicing Buddhism now for nigh on 21 years. My wife has been practicing for 15 years and my kid was born into it so she knows nothing else. We call this type of child a "Fortune Baby" since she did not have to seek Buddhism as it found her. She has many religious friends of other faiths and it is lovely to see the tolerance and acceptance that are exhibited by her and her playmates. We adults can learn a lot from our kids if we just leave them alone to get on with it.

Now, on to your questions:
    Do I experience a cessation of all suffering, no, but I suffer a lot less than I did 21 years ago. Am I a loving and kind person every day of my life, my wife tells me yes, but every second day and not always with her. Mind you, I can also same the same of her. Have I become truly compassionate, I believe so? Do I have a mind that is not easily distracted by the worldly winds, no, but it is less distracted than it used to be. Have I managed to extinguish my desires, no, only the negative desires. These things of course did not happen over night, but bit by bit. I know that if I had not practiced with other like me I would not be where I am today. I continue to study with my fellow Buddhists; I discussed my issues with them, attended lectures and asked many many questions. Gradually over time, I have begun to see changes.

Coming as I did from a Christian Brother (CB) Boarding School background I was initially very wary of this kind of involvement. I hated what the CBs had done to me. I detested religion and all it stood for, hypocrites the lot of them. So I was naturally very suspicious of becoming a part of any group of people. In the beginning I studied on my own. I did not seem to make much progress though. I had also adopted the stand that “Buddhism teaches all the answers are inside me already.” But I am sorry to say that was arrogance on my part. Yes, the answers were inside me all right, but I had no means of getting them out. I began to realize that I needed help to really understand what was going on around me. I joined a Buddhist group and of course the first question I asked was the very question we have mentioned “Buddhism teaches all the answers are inside me already.” The person I talked to was very understanding and explained to me that just about every one adopts this stance at first without really realizing what the statement meant. He went on to explain the following:
    The Buddha did not achieve his enlightenment by just sitting under a Bodai tree. He had already tried that approach for seven years only to find he was none the wiser at the end of it. What the Buddha did was to study, pray and actually experience life around him. He got involved with the people and their suffering. He learned to understand what suffering was and how we cannot escape it. He learned to deal with it. Lets not forget he was a man, he felt pain, and hunger and thirst just like the rest of us. It was through his involvement with life and people that when the time came he could actually sit down and gain enlightenment.
    So too must it be for me. I must study, pray and be involved if I am to also progress. The same applies to the Dalai Lama. His day is full of prayer, chanting, study, and then he goes and mixes with the people. Meditation on its own is IMHO is not enough. It is only part of the practice. We need to be involved, we need other people around us in order to become involved.

I am interested to hear just exactly what the other Buddhists here do during the day in pursuit of their practice of Buddhism. For openers, here is my typical day.

AM
    Do my morning prayers and chant for 5 mins to start the day (about 20 mins). If I have some pressing issue I am struggling with, consult the I Ching for more insight to the forces in play (I am really into the I Ching, it goes hand in hand with Buddhism)
    During the rest of the day, I work, and also try to devote some time to the various activities I am involved in i.e. organizing for Peace festivals and exhibitions, weekend retreats, talking to and encouraging members (I am a group leader). I also take time out to study and research Buddhism and other faiths so as to better understand the world.
    PM
    Is the most important time for me. Evening prayers and then Chant for 30 mins. Chanting is the same as meditation, just like the monks in Tibet (and elsewhere). We believe that the vibration set up by ones own voice is an aid to meditation. Finally, practice my guitar, as I am a founding member of our Buddhist Music group. We are called the Human Revolution Project and we play at various seminars around Tokyo. Make any final phone calls I have to make.
    Then go to my room and put on my headphones and get stuck into the serious business of clearing the next level in Return to Castle Wolfenstein (computer game). The weekends are a completely different matter and I won’t make the readers suffer reading about all the stuff I am involved in.
    And most important, I am not perfect, I have a s**t lot yet to learn.
    But I am very happy with myself.

Finally, in answer to your original question “So am I going to find the answers to all my questions in a centre in Dublin?” No you won’t, but you will open the door to achieving what you desire. The answers are within you, but first you need to understand what the real questions are, just like the rest of us, and only then can you begin to unlock the answers.

Sorry about the length of the post, don't mean to preach or offend anyone here. Good luck in your search. If I can be of any help, get back to me or ask questions here.

• Advertisement

thanks for the advice everyone. it's nice to see a good number of people have the same interests as me.

ill definitly go and check out some of the centre around.

thanks again!

-Luke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

As always, Asiaprod, good post! it's nice to get to know you and your day a little better.

I view this place as a kinda temple and centre in one, sounds odd but it just fits for me at this stage in this life.

LukeyJudo22, to play with your username a little, use the force, the force is within you luck.

Ok that was just bad and i'm sorry lol.

We all wish you the very best of luck with your plans and I'm sure we all hope you get something wholesome, positive and fulfilling out of it all.

May the power of the holey triple gen bless you with Metta.

god's toy wrote:
    I view this place as a kinda temple and centre in one, sounds odd but it just fits for me at this stage in this life.

Good to see you back. I too have the same feeling. This is like our small community where we can open up and not feel afraid to ask those difficult questions. We can all help to both encourage and learn from one another. I have come to understand that Buddhism is all about community and getting involved, it is never about solitude. That is the domain of the monks. For them, it is a wonderful life, but I just feel that there is so much more to experience and learn by mixing in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

bluewolf wrote:
    I wouldn't say "really need", after all buddha didn't have a sangha
    Oooohhh yes he did! *cue very polite Buddhist arguement!*

His original four 'friends' whom he initially revealed the Dharma to formed the first Sangha.

Asiaprod wrote:
    Good to see you back.
    Hello my friend, yep just back from honeymoon! it's good to be back you know! :)
    I too have the same feeling. This is like our small community where we can open up and not feel afraid to ask those difficult questions. We can all help to both encourage and learn from one another. I have come to understand that Buddhism is all about community and getting involved, it is never about solitude. That is the domain of the monks. For them, it is a wonderful life, but I just feel that there is so much more to experience and learn by mixing in society.

Yes I feel the same as you, as I've said before, I am a man who likes to be in solitude as much as possible in this life even in my job (lighthouse worker) it's just feels 'right' be be one with my mind and being able to be alone with it. lol it's in the name given to me 'Sumedha' Now and then the feelings of wanting to be a monk or something like it is very strong but it's something for the next life, i'm sure of that and every day is a day closer to that.

It's so nice when new people come to talk with us here, ok my posts are not as day to day as some but i'm always around reading and learning from you guys.

Anyway I really hope our new friend Luke finds his way in what he wants to do and comes back to give us updates on how things are going with him.
    we learn from everyone old and new, starting out or a grand master in Buddhism.

Peace to you on this fine day over here :)

god's toy wrote:
    Hello my friend, yep just back from honeymoon! it's good to be back you know! :)

WhooHoo, a newly wed:) Congradulations. Just what a lightkeeper needs. I never knew that was what you did. I have long cherished a dream of spending a week on a light house and letting the cares of the world just pass me by.Gazing on the beauty od the sea and letting my mind wander. Robinson Caruso is may fav book, I magine life on an island based lighthouse to be somewhat similar. For those who are into it, it must be wonderfull. Do you mind me asking where, and is it a land based or really on an Island.

:) Yes this is/was why I wanted to be a keeper of the light in the first place, as a child looking out upon the shore wanting to just be one with the light helping in any way I could.

The Truth is all the lighthouses around the Irish cost (about 74 last count) are all automated now and controlled from a central location, 'Lighthouse Depot' in Dun-Laoghaire co Dublin. (www.cil.ie)

The nearest you can get to being a keeper now is to on a maintenance team, We can be sent to carry out repair/upgrade work for up up 3 months at a time (but never really more than one month over the last number of years due to heath and safety)

Today it's so much more than just lights on the horizon you understand, every lighthouse is set up on a network to keep a eye on anything in the waters around the costs of Ireland and to relay calls for help, send GPS info for all traffic on the sea or just to point out where the rocks are as they once only did.

"My lighthouse" is the one I'm sent to fix and when it's done you come home. Sometimes I would give up almost anything to just live on some of the houses we have.

Well there you go, thats me.:)

god's toy wrote:
    The Truth is all the lighthouses around the Irish cost (about 74 last count) are all automated now and controlled from a central location, 'Lighthouse Depot' in Dun-Laoghaire co Dublin.
    Bummer, there goes my romantic dream of sea and solitude:(

Advertisement