Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 russorla

Can I ask how you got through to the office???
    We are travelling next Thursday and I would travel to Dublin to collect passports....13 working days we have...first time passports????

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bluesky14

It doesn't matter if you were born here or naturalized. It's 20 days minimum for all first time applicants. The passport office has to be satisfied that you are who you say you are. In cases where there's naturalization it might take a little bit longer, verifying the authenticity of documents etc.

Thank you! I just think they should be more clear for the 1st passport applicants on the website somewhere. This can also avoid unnecessary phone calls and emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

bluesky14 wrote: »
    Thank you! I just think they should be more clear for the 1st passport applicants on the website somewhere. This can also avoid unnecessary phone calls and emails.

It's quite clear if you go into the website and complete the form, it tells you what paperwork is required and what the time frame is

athtrasna wrote: »
    It's quite clear if you go into the website and complete the form, it tells you what paperwork is required and what the time frame is

This is what I see at the end of the form "How to apply for a passport" on the website. (of course i filled in with 1st time _ naturalization)

Tracking your passport
    If you have completed your application correctly, you should get your passport within 10 working days from the time we receive your application.

The turnaround time for First Time Adult applications submitted at the Public Counter is 20 working days.

Use the 11-digit barcode number (on the receipt issued by An Post) to track your passport application.

So it's clear that 10 days with express and 20 days at the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

I'm waiting for my husbands passport. It's a renewal. It was received on 8 July and issue date was 21st. Status hasn't changed since. Thing is we flying out 25th!! Have sent email and tweeted them too. I could pick it up on thurs if necessary.
    Are passports done in order of their tracking number? His starts with digits 104000.....

• Advertisement

I'm waiting for my husbands passport. It's a renewal. It was received on 8 July and issue date was 21st. Status hasn't changed since. Thing is we flying out 25th!! Have sent email and tweeted them too. I could pick it up on thurs if necessary.
    Are passports done in order of their tracking number? His starts with digits 104000.....

Can I ask if your status has been changed so far as you are going to collect tomorrow? I do not think the number is relevant. As anyone can pick up an application form at An Post; and may hand in the passport application at different time.

Can I ask if your status has been changed so far as you are going to collect tomorrow? I do not think the number is relevant. As anyone can pick up an application form at An Post; and may hand in the passport application at different time.

No status hasn't changed. I keep checking regularly. I imagine there's no point turning up unless it's ready...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ad92gd

Hi

I submitted my application a couple of weeks ago.
    It was received and registered by the passport office on the 11th July.
    The issue date is tomorrow 24th July.

I'm flying out on Monday morning so I'm wondering how I can arrange for someone to pick my passport up at the passport office tomorrow or Friday??

I've sent 4 emails - to no avail and I'm trying to call constantly but I'm getting nowhere.

Does anyone know someone I can contact to arrange collection?

Thanks for any help!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

ad92gd wrote: »
    Hi

I'm flying out on Monday morning so I'm wondering how I can arrange for someone to pick my passport up at the passport office tomorrow or Friday??

I've sent 4 emails - to no avail and I'm trying to call constantly but I'm getting nowhere.

Thanks for any help!!!!

You just have to keep trying until you speak to someone. If it's not yourself picking it up you should give the person's name to the passport office and you will have to give the person a letter giving them permission to pick it up. The person picking up the passport will need to bring some form of ID...hat's all if it's approved some time tomorrow.

Hi

Thanks for any help!!!!

I am in the same situation as yourself. My parents are awaiting their passports (First time applicants) It says the issue date is the 25th July, we are flying on the 31st. I am willing to go to Dublin to collect passports...I've tried ringing numerous times, emailed etc....I cannot get through to them....how is it possible to cpontact them?? I am goin crazy with worry!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

russorla wrote: »
    I am in the same situation as yourself. My parents are awaiting their passports (First time applicants) It says the issue date is the 25th July, we are flying on the 31st. I am willing to go to Dublin to collect passports...I've tried ringing numerous times, emailed etc....I cannot get through to them....how is it possible to cpontact them?? I am goin crazy with worry!!!!!!!

Keep ringing, you will get through. Persistence is the key!

Keep ringing, you will get through. Persistence is the key!

I was on hold 35 minutes yesterday and then 20 this morning??
    Keep trying???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭emmacxxx

Hi

Thanks for any help!!!!

I'm in a similar situation, my issue date says the 31st of July and my flight is on the 6th of August which is only 2 working days before my flight (due to the bank holiday) I'm just really worried cos loads of people seem to get their passport a few days after their issue date! I work full time so don't even have the chance to ring them, guess all I can do is hope it comes on time!

russorla wrote: »
    I was on hold 35 minutes yesterday and then 20 this morning??
    Keep trying???

Yes, a passport office staff member has posted that that is the only thing to do. In fairness, less than an hour over two days isn't really being persistent. You need to try repeatedly and not just at the obvious times like first thing in the morning

chibihito wrote: »
    I emailed. They said it should be ready for Friday and as I'm flying on Sunday, I don't really have the time to wait for it to be posted back to me so they said I could come in to the Dublin office and collect it in person :)

Hi Chibihito,

Can you please let us know if you see a change of the status on the tracking system? I suppose there will be a change today or latest tomorrow? (as you are picking it up in person)

Thanks!

After 2 emails my husband got a phone call to say it will be ready later this afternoon. On route to pick it up at the moment. Never again will I procrastinate in getting a passport. Far too stressful.

After 2 emails my husband got a phone call to say it will be ready later this afternoon. On route to pick it up at the moment. Never again will I procrastinate in getting a passport. Far too stressful.

Good news! I also just checked and the status has been changed to Approved. :-) Hope they send it soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

My boyfriend and I are in the middle of doing our renewal passports, we just have to give them into the post office tomorrow morning (we're going through passport express.)

When we got the photos signed by a garda yesterday, when he stamped the back of my boyfriend's, the front got really smudged, and then he did mine and the front of mine got smudged too, will this be a problem?? It's only the front of one of my four photos, and one of his four photos.

Also, just wondering how long they'll take to get issued? I looked online and it says the current turnaround is 10/11 working days, but could it take longer? We haven't got flights booked yet, but we do have to fly between 16th and 24th of August!

Get my passport this morning! It seems for 1st time applicants, the turnaround time is 14/15 days! Need to be patient! :-)

Get my passport this morning! It seems for 1st time applicants, the turnaround time is 14/15 days! Need to be patient! :-)

Be careful about making generalisations. If the official line is 20 working days, people need to allow that time. It's great if it comes faster but one person 's experience does not mean it's that way for all first time applicants

• Advertisement

Be careful about making generalisations. If the official line is 20 working days, people need to allow that time. It's great if it comes faster but one person 's experience does not mean it's that way for all first time applicants

Sure! Mine is just for reference! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

For people wondering about renewal lead times at the moment:

Application was sent via passport Express on 5th July.
    Logged as received in P/port office on 8th July.
    Issue date according to passport tracking website was 21st July.
    Was printed yesterday 24th July.
    Received in post this morning, 25th July.

so 20 days turnaround (15 working days) for renewal of passport via passport express.

Just wondering does the status only be updated at 07:45, 13:45 and then 19:45??
    Can my status be updated between those times????

Does anyone know if it's possible to put postal address different to proof of address? I'm from Clare but living in Cork, and it's not possible to get proof of address off my current landlord (no bills for proof, we pay him in cash weekly). We would like to use my boyfriend's aunt's address as the postal address, as she lives nearby, but we would give bank statements as the proof of address (mine would have Clare address, his would have his home address).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

My boyfriend and I are in the middle of doing our renewal passports, we just have to give them into the post office tomorrow morning (we're going through passport express.)

When we got the photos signed by a garda yesterday, when he stamped the back of my boyfriend's, the front got really smudged, and then he did mine and the front of mine got smudged too, will this be a problem?? It's only the front of one of my four photos, and one of his four photos.

Also, just wondering how long they'll take to get issued? I looked online and it says the current turnaround is 10/11 working days, but could it take longer? We haven't got flights booked yet, but we do have to fly between 16th and 24th of August!

If your other 3 photos are ok ye should be fine.

My boyfriend and I are first time adult applicants. We need to send photo ID eg college ID, driving licence. Problem is , my boyfriend has repeat exams in the next week and needs his college ID. He has no driving licence. Can he photocopy it and get it signed by a garda?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

First time applicant.

This application could not be processed. A letter outlining the reasons for this decision has been posted to you.

I presume this means there's no chance i can get a passport now within 10 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 blackbelted

I have the same message on tracking my passport. "This application could not be processed. A letter outlining the reasons for this decision has been posted to you." I wonder do they keep my documents until I send out the missing one? And hope I don't have to pay 80 euro again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I have the same message on tracking my passport. "This application could not be processed. A letter outlining the reasons for this decision has been posted to you." I wonder do they keep my documents until I send out the missing one? And hope I don't have to pay 80 euro again.

When I got my first Irish passport, I only sent a photocopy of my British passport in with it, and they rejected it on the grounds that they needed to physically see the British passport. They didn't send anything back except a letter stating that. I didn't pay anything extra, and once the passport was received by them my Irish passport application was approved and the passport was posted within 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Heading to Liverpool on the 9th so I hope you're right and I'll get done on the same way :)

Really don't want to do a 16 hour bus journey instead

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement