Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glastonbury Travel help please!!

• 22-04-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

Does anyone know any coach services/companies that run from Ireland to Glastonbury Festival??? Trying to plan a trip.

I see ferry as an option, but there's no proper connecting coaches from Holyhead or Fishguard that could bring us to Glastonbury :( and flights limit what we can bring, because we don't wanna be paying crazy for baggage fees.

Any help/info/tips/anything out there please would be greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Forum Requests

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

How many of you are going?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 zeus9494

4 of us including myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

You can still book tickets from lots of destinations in the UK to/from Glastonbury with National Express. We bought tickets last year with only coach travel from Birmingham included but had no problem booking a return journey later. Looks like you can still book return trips from lots of destinations here:
    http://www.nationalexpress.com/wherewego/events/music-festivals/glastonbury.aspx

I know you said the airport charges are going to be high but we got all our stuff into 2 carry-on bags and 2 checked rucksacks and we're not known to travel lightly. Remember it's not just a matter of getting the stuff on the bus, you'll still have to carry it into the festiva, could be a few miles depending on where you want to campl.

I guess if you still don't want to fly you could get a bus to one of the major UK cities and get National Express from there.

johnnykilo wrote: »
    You can still book tickets from lots of destinations in the UK to/from Glastonbury with National Express. We bought tickets last year with only coach travel from Birmingham included but had no problem booking a return journey later. Looks like you can still book return trips from lots of destinations here:

I know you said the airport charges are going to be high but we got all our stuff into 2 carry-on bags and 2 checked rucksacks and we're not known to travel lightly. Remember it's not just a matter of getting the stuff on the bus, you'll still have to carry it into the festiva, could be a few miles depending on where you want to campl.

I guess if you still don't want to fly you could get a bus to one of the major UK cities and get National Express from there.

Good point man. Thanks a million. I'll keep it in mind :)

• Advertisement

zeus9494 wrote: »
    4 of us including myself.

Could one of you drive over on the ferry (if any of you do drive that is) and split the cost of ferry and petrol.
    Every year I drive from holyhead to teignmouth Devon and as long drive as it is at least you can just load the car up and enjoy the whole trip.

could be handiest, but to be honest, we don't have much driving experience man :/ fair point granted! thanks man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I'd definitely drive if there was four of us, just chuck everything in the boot and crack on some tunes. Will work out cheaper I would imagine and give you more freedom with packing and coming and going. Roads are a doddle and only snag will be traffic around Bristol. Put it this way I drove to Dorset from Cheshire which I much the same as driving from Holyhead to Glastonbury in fog and mad side winds in an ancient polo not long after passing my test.
    Will be the making of ye

[quote="Min. Pie;9005438consideringefinitely drive if there was four of us, just chuck everything in the boot and crack on some tunes. Will work out cheaper I would imagine and give you more freedom with packing and coming and going. Roads are a doddle and only snag will be traffic around Bristol. Put it this way I drove to Dorset from Cheshire which I much the same as driving from lHolyhead to Glastonbury in fog and mad side winds in an ancient polo not long after passing my test.
    Will be the making of ye[/quote]

Haha thanks Yeah we are considering it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The other option is Sail'n'Rail

http://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/offers/sail-rail/

Castle Cary is the nearest station to the festival, and there's a free shuttle bus to the festival from that station (there may be some queues though).

You can use this site

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

to check out timetables from Holyhead to Castle Cary (will need to change at least once I think).

• Advertisement

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I'd definitely drive if there was four of us, just chuck everything in the boot and crack on some tunes.
    Will be the making of ye

Absolutely right.. It would be the making of you. Uk roads and motorways are so much easier to navigate (I'm English and originally from Devon,so I'm biased lol) it's a straight stretch all the way. Plenty of motorway rest stops for KFC and the likes. You would be on your own time. Bristol does get a bit congested but moves on very rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

I'm doing the sail and rail from Rosslare to Bristol for 80 euro return and then get a National Express coach to Glastonbury.I think the coach works out around £25 return.

The other option is Sail'n'Rail

Castle Cary is the nearest station to the festival, and there's a free shuttle bus to the festival from that station (there may be some queues though).

to check out timetables from Holyhead to Castle Cary (will need to change at least once I think).

Thanks a million!! Have a few options now thankfully :)

kennyu272 wrote: »
    I'm doing the sail and rail from Rosslare to Bristol for 80 euro return and then get a National Express coach to Glastonbury.I think the coach works out around £25 return.

Thanks. Is that through the Glastonbury coach packages that you booked the coach, where u don't get your festival tickets unless you're on the coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

Ok thanks. Are they all for specific times? Just thinking, in the worse case scenario, if there are delays and we miss connecting transport. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭brozio7

Hi all,

Does anyone know any coach services/companies that run from Ireland to Glastonbury Festival??? Trying to plan a trip.

I see ferry as an option, but there's no proper connecting coaches from Holyhead or Fishguard that could bring us to Glastonbury :( and flights limit what we can bring, because we don't wanna be paying crazy for baggage fees.

Any help/info/tips/anything out there please would be greatly appreciated :D

We did Sail and rail last year. You can buy one ticket from Dublin (direct from stena line or irish ferries) all the way to castle carey, once you get to castle Carey there's a free shuttle bus thats 15 mins to the festival. It costs around €40 each way. Its great value when you consider the price of trains in the UK and the distance you travel.

If you go to nationalrail.co.uk you can select Dublin port as your starting point and it will give you all the options.

This is what we did last year leaving Tuesday night at 2am from Dublin and arriving at 2pm in Castle Carey. It was long but you can get some sleep on the ferry and the train from Holyhead.

Boat 02:15 Dublin Port - Stena [DPS]
    Holyhead [HHD]
    05:45 3h 30m

Train 06:28 Holyhead [HHD] 2
    Newport (South Wales) [NWP]
    11:01 4h 33m

Train 11:44 Newport (South Wales) [NWP]
    13:00 1 1h 16m

Train 13:49 Westbury (Wilts) [WSB]

Castle Cary [CLC]
    14:05 2 0h 16m

We did the same journey back, I wouldn't recommend the return as much cause you'll be knackered. It takes forever to get out of Glastonbury and back to Castle Carey on the Monday morning as everyone is leaving at the same time. Once you get to Castle carey you have to join a que which can be hours.

Make sure you print out all the different connections you can take on the way home to get back to holyhead. We had 5 options for the return journey thinking we'd get out of Castle carey no bother, we ended up only just making our 4th option and cut if fine enough getting back to holyhead.

brozio7 wrote: »
    We did Sail and rail last year. You can buy one ticket from Dublin (direct from stena line or irish ferries) all the way to castle carey, once you get to castle Carey there's a free shuttle bus thats 15 mins to the festival. It costs around €40 each way. Its great value when you consider the price of trains in the UK and the distance you travel.

If you go to nationalrail.co.uk you can select Dublin port as your starting point and it will give you all the options.

This is what we did last year leaving Tuesday night at 2am from Dublin and arriving at 2pm in Castle Carey. It was long but you can get some sleep on the ferry and the train from Holyhead.

Boat 02:15 Dublin Port - Stena [DPS]
    Holyhead [HHD]
    05:45 3h 30m

Train 06:28 Holyhead [HHD] 2
    Newport (South Wales) [NWP]
    11:01 4h 33m

Train 11:44 Newport (South Wales) [NWP]
    13:00 1 1h 16m

Train 13:49 Westbury (Wilts) [WSB]

Castle Cary [CLC]
    14:05 2 0h 16m

We did the same journey back, I wouldn't recommend the return as much cause you'll be knackered. It takes forever to get out of Glastonbury and back to Castle Carey on the Monday morning as everyone is leaving at the same time. Once you get to Castle carey you have to join a que which can be hours.

Make sure you print out all the different connections you can take on the way home to get back to holyhead. We had 5 options for the return journey thinking we'd get out of Castle carey no bother, we ended up only just making our 4th option and cut if fine enough getting back to holyhead.

Thank you so much that's fantastic help. Yeah I know, we were pricing train fares and they're not cheap. Sounds like a great idea!! Yeah that'd be our worse case scenario, the return because as expected, it would be so crowded :/ if you did it again, what do you think you'd do for return?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Thank you so much that's fantastic help. Yeah I know, we were pricing train fares and they're not cheap. Sounds like a great idea!! Yeah that'd be our worse case scenario, the return because as expected, it would be so crowded :/ if you did it again, what do you think you'd do for return?

Leaving as early as possible is always a good thing to do. I left the site at 4:30am on Monday morning last year and was straight onto a bus and straight into Castle Cary. No queueing at all.

much appreciated, will definitely keep it to mind!! Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭brozio7

No bother, I'd leave very very early in the morning, we left at 8 and it was mental or i'd leave much later once the crowds had died down.

If I was to do the return again I'd book a night in Bristol or whatever city is handy for the train and stay the night in a travel lodge or somewhere just to break up the journey.

Have a great Glastonbury!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 figgyg78

Just want to put this out there : GLASTONBURY
    Hi, I'll be landing in Bristol Airport on Wednesday 25th at 18.40pm . Just wondering if anyone is landing around the same time to share a taxi to the site? Taxi for 4 is £55.00. Thanks !

Aer Lingus 17.30 flight from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

figgyg78 wrote: »
    Just want to put this out there : GLASTONBURY
    Hi, I'll be landing in Bristol Airport on Wednesday 25th at 18.40pm . Just wondering if anyone is landing around the same time to share a taxi to the site? Taxi for 4 is £55.00. Thanks !

Aer Lingus 17.30 flight from Dublin

I'm arriving Thursday morning and in a similar situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Regular bus service from the airport to train station and then catch the bus to the festival site.

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/getting-here/by-air/

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭padders67

Leaving as early as possible is always a good thing to do. I left the site at 4:30am on Monday morning last year and was straight onto a bus and straight into Castle Cary. No queueing at all.

He cant be leaving Glasto early on Monday morning if its his first one ! place will be banging til 7 am at least - make the most of it

Advertisement