Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3DS system update - Delayed

• 12-05-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/nintendo-delays-3ds-update

So it seems that Nintendo have delayed the system update which was to include the e-shop and an internet browser.

Turns out it may not be available until the 7th of June. Bit of an annoyance given that the release launch had very few games to get excited about.

I've used the 3DS very little since its launch because nothing has yet hooked me. At least the e-shop would have kept me occupied until Zelda or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

The release co-incides with their E3 press conference - I'm guessing they're holding something back as a result. Maybe a 3-d video of Wii2?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ScaldyMc

I'm actually glad it's delayed. It should give me time to get my 3ds repaired before the update is released. Warning, do not drop your 3ds heavily on a tiled floor!

The right hinge is damaged, the plastic running along the hinge below the screen is cracked, the bottom layer of the console is no longer sitting flush preventing me from switching on the wireless connection. Have been told by the nintendo service centre that it will cost up to £77.50 to repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

That's annoying, especially with PSN being down. Maybe they intend to add some extra VC games at launch. At least DOA: Dimensions is out next Friday.
    ScaldyMc wrote: »

The right hinge is damaged, the plastic running along the hinge below the screen is cracked, the bottom layer of the console is no longer sitting flush preventing me from switching on the wireless connection. Have been told by the nintendo service centre that it will cost up to £77.50 to repair.

Don't you have at least 12 months warranty? Is that 77.50 Euro or Sterling?

More bad news...apparently Starfox 64 3DS doesn't have online multiplayer - only local 4-player off one cart.

http://uk.kotaku.com/5801187/starfox-64-3d-supports-up-to-four-players-no-online

• Registered Users Posts: 34,361 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

smokingman wrote: »
    More bad news...apparently Starfox 64 3DS doesn't have online multiplayer - only local 4-player off one cart.

http://uk.kotaku.com/5801187/starfox-64-3d-supports-up-to-four-players-no-online

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to show off my barrel rolls on the interwebs :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

The release co-incides with their E3 press conference - I'm guessing they're holding something back as a result. Maybe a 3-d video of Wii2?

Yeah, that's my best guess too.
    Something related to an unannounced feature/game/system, or maybe just an e3 video channel.
    Doesn't make sense though as they could easily hold back on a feature which might hint as wii2 or an e3 video channel until another date.
    Might be something core to the eshop or firmware.

Or they just couldn't make it in time so throwing in an e3 date so they can throw up an e3 video channel and say it was planned.

Sad that zeldo gets all the attention and the best game on the n64 ever gets fobbed off.

Azure_sky wrote: »
    Don't you have at least 12 months warranty? Is that 77.50 Euro or Sterling?

The warranty doesn't cover accidental damage unfortunately. That figure is sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

So annoying, especially considering they promised the eShop for launch

A NoE spokesman promised it without knowing anything.
    Talking out of his thón.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Nintendo of Europe is still Nintendo.

• Advertisement

Not really.
    They're a blind subsidiary that is told nothing because their president is a puppet of NoJ.
    If an actual European got the head job, they would say "hey, this region is super. Give us info to work with".
    Like NoA and Reggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sheer lazyness & complacancy by Nintendo there. The launch titles are appaling, the one thing to look forward to was a system update is now delayed, & now the 15 year old games that will actually sell the system are not being utilised by todays standards? Massive regret buying the 3DS I have, very poor form by the big N.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Sad that zeldo gets all the attention and the best game on the n64 ever gets fobbed off.

Ah the amount of times I dropped the rumble-pak ladled controller on my "lap" when those big end-boss explosions went off....good times! :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

Tis definitely a great oversight by Nintendo however, I don't necessarily think that it will launch with something specifically themed around E3.

In their last investors meeting Nintendo said theyd offer Excitebike (3D classic) to cusomers who downloaded the update for free and tat they are really gonna try to promote the update soooooo I think using E3 is a way to ensure that it reaches as many people as possible. Ill be in Japan for E3 though so I probably wont be able to watch the show. Just a hypothesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Nintendo can afford to be be indifferent with the consoles launch titles as they really have no competition on the handheld market and never did. The PSP is the closest any of them ever came to putting pressure on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

Azure_sky wrote: »
    Nintendo can afford to be be indifferent with the consoles launch titles as they really have no competition on the handheld market and never did. The PSP is the closest any of them ever came to putting pressure on them.

While I understand where you are coming from I think you are ignoring something very important about Nintendo. No region matters more to Nintendo than Japan. The reason the 3DS is on the market right now is because DS sales had trailed off in Japan. It was doing great numbers in US/Eu for Nintendo and indeed still is.

The PSP has been largely irrelevant in regions outside Japan however, there it is outselling the 3DS considerably and has been home to some big name exclusives (monster Hunter) various anime spin offs which shift big numbers of software.

So I think Nintendo does take Sony's threat seriously. I think Nintendo thought the 3DS would sell itself with its own board software like Wii Sports did for the Wii however, this hasn't materialised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I see Nintendo 3DS as the next step in portable gaming, in terms of it replacing the DS, or am I wrong to think this - is it just an upgrade in the sense that the DS became DSI?

Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but there certainly wasn't the media attention that we got for the 3DS given to the DSI

And, afterall, hasn't Nintendo paid so much in marketing and advertising and celebrity endorsement (I've seen a lot of on the street advertising for this thing and Nintendo always take out adverts on TV, Sony don't take out adverts for portable gaming) that this almost deserves to be the market leader?

This is a great system and the range of titles coming out soon for the console just validate that!

DSi didn't have its own Nintendo games.
    3DS does.
    Different ballsgame.

I think the DSi was just a test for 3DS.

DSi has games.
    3DS doesn't.
    Different ballsgame.

Fyp there :D

EnterNow wrote: »
    Fyp there :D
    ?
    Name 5 DSi exclusive games then.
    3DS: SSF4, PW:R, RR3D, ND+C, TC:SH

• Advertisement

?

It wasn't meant completely seriously.

?

SSF4 is not a 3DS exclusive. Most DSiware would count as DSi exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

DSi didn't have its own Nintendo games.
    3DS does.
    Different ballsgame.

DSi-only games (excluding DSiWare):

-Foto Showdown
    -System Flaw

And possibly others but I'm not sure

Almost bought Foto Showdown last year in the States for the sheer novelty value (have an American DSi)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foto_Showdown

EDIT: Ah here we go, here's apparently 5 for you :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_DSi_games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

ghostchant wrote: »
    EDIT: Ah here we go, here's apparently 5 for you :)

Of those 5 one is unreleased anywhere and of the remaining four only 2 would possibly be available to buy in this part of the world. And none of them are available for sale in all three of the major regions.

SSF4 is not a 3DS exclusive. Most DSiware would count as DSi exclusive.
    DSiWare is coming to 3DS.
    It's a different game on PS3, not the 3DS cartridge.

DSiWare is coming to 3DS.
    It's a different game on PS3, not the 3DS cartridge.

Following that logic, GameBoy, Gamecube, GBA & DS have very few exclusive games as they can all be played on other systems.

Following that logic, GameBoy, Gamecube, GBA & DS have very few exclusive games as they can all be played on other systems.

What makes you think that?

Of those 5 one is unreleased anywhere and of the remaining four only 2 would possibly be available to buy in this part of the world. And none of them are available for sale in all three of the major regions.

Fair enough for the unreleased one, but the limited regional availability of the others doesn't stop them from being DSi exclusive. I don't consider the DSi to be a completely different console to the DS/DSL, but if someone uses the 'no DSi-exclusive games' argument, then the link I posted shows they do in fact exist.

ghostchant wrote: »
    I don't consider the DSi to be a completely different console to the DS/DSL.

That's the point I was making.

• Advertisement

That's the point I was making.

I know, and I agree. My posts were related to the 'but' that came after I said that. The idea of exclusive games doesn't define a console. Sure if it did then an N64 with and without expansion paks could be considered different consoles. (For the record, I'm not suggesting that they are :) )

Advertisement