Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RADO Watches

• 19-01-2009 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if somebody could share their opinion on RADO watches, as I am thinking of getting one for my birthday in February.

I don't know a huge amount about watches(just what I read in Esquire really), so would love an expert opinion on this brand, pros and cons of getting a watch like that

Was thinking of getting this one

http://www.rado.com/en/Watches/Ceramica/Pages/Ceramica.aspx

Would appreciate any thoughts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Carraigrock

It doesn't mention price or size of the watch.

Other than that, if its not too big width-wise, then its fairly decent looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I have one. Got it about 2 years ago now. I wear it everyday but it still looks brand new beause of the scratch resistant coating.

A great investment.

The only negative thing i'd say is that it took me an hour to figure out how to set the time date on my friends digital one.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭shayg1971

I've had an Integral for a year, and I just got one for the missus for Christmas. As per the previous poster, I wear it everyday and it looks brand new. It gets admired by folks who know about watches and those who don't. More understated than many, more classy than flashy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

(just what I read in Esquire really),
    Just as an aside, their editorial copy is heavily biased towards advertisers. Usually there's at least two mentions of a brand that has advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Thanks for all the feedback. I find it best to pick peoples brains about stuff like this, rather than rush in, as I am no watch expert.
    It doesn't mention price or size of the watch.
    Around $1500-$2200

I'd be more inclined to seek out a watch with mechanical movement
    I'm open to suggestions, but currently haven't seen anything that takes my fancy in that regard. My brother has a Tag Heuer and I don't really want that or anything like it. But its not a closed door in any way, I would just have to prefer it over the RADO one.

If you wanted to give us your budget and what sort of style watch catches your eye we could make other suggestions
    Around E1-4k. Not a huge fan of the mechanical movement watches, I have a Kenneth Cole one as well, like this a little, which I do like.

http://www.elementale.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/zs70802200_zoom.jpg

I want something that is stylish but professional looking, not an old looking type watch, I like the RADO one as its modern and stylish, and I would be more inclined towards the colour black. Not the best description I must admit, with me its kinda like "I'll know it when I see it".

To Orla and Shay, where did you get yours ? Are they easy to maintain ? Is there a RADO store where you can have them maintained ? I was reading that you should have that done every 4/5 years ?

I want something that will last, that in 10 years time it will still be working perfectly and still look great. What are the main factors I should be considering when getting a watch. Going to do some reading about it but would love to know from a watch aficionado

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭shayg1971

I actually got mine from a dealer in Monterrey, California. I was going over on business, found them on line, haggled for a deal on the phone and picked it up in person. http://www.mcpeekstimepiece.com/. I think I got about $350 off list.

But when it came to buying the wife's in December, with the Exchange Rate swings it was actually as good a deal to buy out of the UK. Goldsmiths were charging a bit under list (maybe 10%). In the absence of research time, I went for that after a couple of days looking around. Good service - got it mailed FoC to a freind in NI. I since saw them in Belfast in Goldsmiths at the same price as their Web price.

Only having owned for a year, not sure of the service requirement. But I will say that the accuracy's pretty good. Probably within a second a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I have one for a couple of years and I have to say I love it.

It still looks immaculate even though it's fairly been through it in terms of wear and tear.

I must send mine off to be serviced soon and I will hate being without it while it's away!!

I think they are a beautiful watch, very classy and understated.

That said, a friend of mine has a Breitling, more expensive i know, but as a mans watch I think it's beautiful, it's a very sexy timepiece I must say.

I've only ever seen a Rado watch on one man, have to say it did look good, mind you he was in thaetre scrubs at the time so sort of hard to judge:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I got mine in Macy's in New York. Weirs & Son's on Grafton St. have serviced mine in the past anytime I needed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

RADO watches are uber cool, saw one in Australia years ago and thought it was the coolest watch ever

Timless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 martmcc

Hi I have done a lot of looking at these in the past two years and was going to buy one but changed my mind and bought a Breitling.

The Rado is very difficult to scratch so it will keep its looks (if you check out their web site it shows the manufacturing process).

If you still want to buy one - they are about half the price in the Canaries - again, if you go onto the Rado Web site, it lists Jewellers who are licenced to sell their watches and there are a number in Lanzarote.

Do not buy off of the internet as none of the luxury brands actually allow their watches to be sold on the web so you will either end up with a fake or a second hand watch.

Thanks for those links bedlam.

I have to say I really liked the Lacroix Pontos one, any idea how much that is? I think that would definitely be a contender. Same for the Cuervos y sobrinos one, thats pretty much what I was thinking of. The Rado one I think is possibly edging it though, but that may change if I saw those two watches in person.

If you still want to buy one - they are about half the price in the Canaries - again,
    This brings me onto my next question. Where should I buy the watch ? Like I could be in the Canaries this summer so wouldn't be complaining about waiting till then if it saved me half the price. I am guessing there is a RADO store or some reputable equivalent there...

I will have a look in Dawsons, Sheerans, and Weirs next time I'm in town as well

Whats the difference between quartz and mechanical watches ? Also how do you pronounce RADO ( Ray-Doh ? ). Don't want to sound like an idiot whenever I get it.

Appreciate all the feedback. Glad to see that others have fallen in love with RADO and only got good things to say about it.

Thanks for answering all my questions. You have truly enlightened a watch newbie :)

Will check out those shops over the next month and see about getting one in February for my birthday. Much obliged

• Registered Users Posts: 16 martmcc

Hi,

If you go onto the RaDO WEBSITE there is a store locator on the bottom left of the main page (after you select english as language). Select Spain and then pick which ever of the islands you are going to and the the city / resort nearest.

Do not buy from a shop that is not on the list because you run the risk of not getting the genuine article - as I said earlier, the luxury brand watch manufacturers only sell thru jewellers that they themselves approve and the watches documentation will be traceable back to the dealer it was bought from - for example, my Breitling documentation has the watches individual serial number and the jewelers name printed on it by the manufacturer - this will then ensure that the warranty covers it anywhere in the world (so make sure you keep all of the papers in a safe plate)

Teh differance between quartz and mechanical is that quartz has a battery and mechanical is wound. There is also automatic (generally a fair bit more expensive because they are much more complex - but well worth the money) which is wound by the movement of your wrist. If you dont wear the watch for about 2 days it will stop but justs needs to be shaken a bit to get it going again. When you look at the quarts, if it has a second hand, it ticks thru the seconds. The automatic moves in a continuous sweep.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement