Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is being gay a choice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

OldNotWIse wrote: »

Is the minority status not to do with the percentage of people who actually fall under the category in question rather than why or how they fall under it? Be it genetics, hormonal, psychological etc, are gay people not considered a "minority" because of their numbers, as opposed to their beliefs as to why they are gay in the first place?

Minority
    1.the smaller part or number; a number, part, or amount forming less than half of the whole.
    2. a smaller party or group opposed to a majority, as in voting or other action.
    3. a group differing, especially in race, religion, or ethnic background, from the majority of a population: legislation aimed at providing equal rights for minorities.
    4. a member of such a group.
    5. the state or period of being under the legal age of full responsibility.
    I had a conversation with a random stranger in a late bar recently about sexual persuasion. She was mid twenties and fairly regular kind of every day person. When the topic of orientation came up (she was with her male cousin) I said I recognised her as straight (which she was) but she stopped me mid sentence and said, so do you believe I could never fall in love with a woman? She said it with implication and I faltered a bit because I didn't see it coming. To me she was the straightest girl in the room but she is not stupid enough to discredit ever falling in love with a woman. That's got nothing to do with genetics.

Now for a couple of facts, biology and genetics are two very different things. For example a large perecentage of women with pcos (an endocrine disorder) identify as lesbian. Pcos may have a genetic marker but the biological influences (the result of an excess production of testosterone) may be a factor in some womens orientation.

However it is, I don't believe it is the same for everybody. I know more men aggressively believe they are genetically designed that way but as a female, I know a lot of women who don't have such harsh boundaries when it comes to love or identity. They appear to be more flexible with their ideals and are definitely more understanding of alternate sexual persuasions. This makes for a much more comfortable and integrated society to live in. I find the lgbt culture much more oppressive in it's stance on integration and often seem more determined to continue segregating based on their "beliefs".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭whattotdo

I really don't know why we continually tie ourselves up in knots over nature v nurture and I also wonder why we do so. It seems to me that there is an ulterior motive behind it all. If it's nature - we can abort the foetuses that might turn out gay - If it's nurture we can train the parents how not to create gay children. I am what I am and I don't see the point in trying to find out why so that right wing zealots can suppress others like me.

I would like to know for definite just simply to have a greater level of understanding and also I believe it would result in greater level of respect shown to LGBT community.So many people think gay men are gay because when they were a kid they were handed a barbie instead of a action man,were victims of sexual abuse etc etc absolute nonsense imo.Religious groups who condemn us yet their God(through genetics) created our sexuality as well as there own sexuality.

Side note:It's widely accepted 'straight' people are born straight,why not gay people are born gay?

whattotdo wrote: »
    I would like to know for definite just simply to have a greater level of understanding and also I believe it would result in greater level of respect shown to LGBT community.So many people think gay men are gay because when they were a kid they were handed a barbie instead of a action man,were victims of sexual abuse etc etc absolute nonsense imo.Religious groups who condemn us yet their God(through genetics) created our sexuality as well as there own sexuality.

Side note:It's widely accepted 'straight' people are born straight,why not gay people are born gay?
    Here's some things I know for sure. There are a lot of gay men and women out there who have been abused as children or adults. There are also a lot of straight men and women who have been too. Ultimately what you're trying to say is that your reasons for your sexuality are more valid because you haven't and tbh, that's just insulting to those who have. It's not a competition to see who has more genuine reason to be who they are, maybe you would do better to just accept yourself first and you'll find other people will start doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,734 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I believe it would result in greater level of respect shown to LGBT community.
    I fail to see how. I really don't see how I'll be respected because I have a gene or because I played with my sisters dolls.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

If you feel threatened by where somebody else puts their man/lady parts, you'll feel threatened regardless of the reason why they put their man/lady parts there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭whattotdo

Babybuff wrote: »
    Here's some things I know for sure. There are a lot of gay men and women out there who have been abused as children or adults. There are also a lot of straight men and women who have been too. Ultimately what you're trying to say is that your reasons for your sexuality are more valid because you haven't and tbh, that's just insulting to those who have. It's not a competition to see who has more genuine reason to be who they are, maybe you would do better to just accept yourself first and you'll find other people will start doing the same.

That's not what I'm trying to say at all,your clearly mistaken.Im just saying from my own experience of coming out and some of my gay friends' experiences, my peers suggested certain things that caused my homosexuality,examples of what they said I gave in my previous post.

That's not what I'm trying to say at all,your clearly mistaken.Im just saying from my own experience of coming out and some of my gay friends' experiences, my peers suggested certain things that caused my homosexuality,examples of what they said I gave in my previous post.
    and the point I'm making is it shouldn't matter. Everyone I meet has a "reason" why they think I'm gay, sometimes it's fairly insulting stuff but if you think about it what difference does it make, basically in their mind being with someone of the same sex is ultimately wrong and I shouldn't have to justify why it's not to anybody. If they feel like they need a reason then they probably have underlying issues with your sexuality anyway and you would probably do better without them in your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I think the terms "gay", "lesbian" and "bisexual" (and everything that goes with them) are mere social constructions brought by about society's compulsion to categorise.

If this is the case, one might regard being "gay", "lesbian" or "bisexual" as a choice, especially if it turned out that everyone had their own individual and distinct sexual orientation. Same-sex attraction, however, is not a choice. I think Michel Faucault (who was "gay" himself) argued something along these line, though I could be bullshitting.

To be pedantic, therefore, you should say "having same-sex attractions is not a choice", rather than "being gay is not a choice".

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I had a conversation with a random stranger in a late bar recently about sexual persuasion. She was mid twenties and fairly regular kind of every day person. When the topic of orientation came up (she was with her male cousin) I said I recognised her as straight (which she was) but she stopped me mid sentence and said, so do you believe I could never fall in love with a woman? She said it with implication and I faltered a bit because I didn't see it coming. To me she was the straightest girl in the room but she is not stupid enough to discredit ever falling in love with a woman. That's got nothing to do with genetics.

Just a thought... are you suggesting that straight women who won't entertain the idea that they could fall in love with a woman are stupid?? :confused: To me, this seems quite intolerant of those who identify as straight, or even as gay, because you're saying anyone who doesn't realise their capacity to fall in love with both sexes is stupid. I realise that what you're suggesting is that sexuality is fluid etc but I find the phrasing you used a bit strong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Now for a couple of facts, biology and genetics are two very different things. For example a large perecentage of women with pcos (an endocrine disorder) identify as lesbian. Pcos may have a genetic marker but the biological influences (the result of an excess production of testosterone) may be a factor in some womens orientation.

However it is, I don't believe it is the same for everybody. I know more men aggressively believe they are genetically designed that way but as a female, I know a lot of women who don't have such harsh boundaries when it comes to love or identity. They appear to be more flexible with their ideals and are definitely more understanding of alternate sexual persuasions. This makes for a much more comfortable and integrated society to live in. I find the lgbt culture much more oppressive in it's stance on integration and often seem more determined to continue segregating based on their "beliefs".

Of course, your opinions are no more right or wrong than mine or anybody else's. Who is to say who is right or wrong. We can only speak for ourselves. Certainly, when I speak for myself I identify as lesbian, and I dont consider the fact that I have "dicredited falling in love with a man" as a reflection of my stupidity, nor does it make me less understanding of alternative sexual persuasions.

Re the pcos point, I actually went to college with a girl who has been diagnosed with this. She initially identified as straight, them gay, then bisexual. As far as I know she is now "mistress" to a married man in his 50's but she is happy so in the end that's all that matters. She actually professed undying love to me one day (which was awkward as we were good friends but managed to remain friends for some time after that - the reasons we fell apart were separate) She had a brief fling with my best friend and then left her for a transgender male (identified as a lesbian woman in a man's body - he is know living a straight life and has recently married a woman) but - we are all happy. If we are happy with who we are and we dont feel the need to define and justify ourselves or others, then that is what matters. We are all just trying to live our lives.

I agree with you re the oppression, I would even go so far as to say I find the gay scene very incestuous...people dating exes friends and friends exes and exes exes etc - evrybody knows what evrybody else is doing. At least, that has been my experience.

• Advertisement

You touched a nerve there with me. I was sexually abused by a male when I was a child and I remember when I came out (to a trusted female teacher when I was in my teens) she "suggested" that perhaps I wasn't gay and that I was just "confused" because of my experiences with this guy and that I was shunning all men through fear. I could see her rationale but I knew this was not and never was my reason. I have often thought that maybe I would have experimented more if this had not happened but I always veer away from the "blame" game. I would not say "I am gay because I was abused" as I think this is far too simplistic (and perhaps a little insulting aswell to suggest that this thing which is a huge part of my identity is somehow so transient and flappable that it can be determined one way or another by one traumatic experience. Rather, I consider my sexual identity to be a (positive) part of who I am, it's inherent, and not simply a "result" of some (negative) "cause", like a side effect of some disease or whatever...

and the point I'm making is it shouldn't matter. Everyone I meet has a "reason" why they think I'm gay, sometimes it's fairly insulting stuff but if you think about it what difference does it make, basically in their mind being with someone of the same sex is ultimately wrong and I shouldn't have to justify why it's not to anybody. If they feel like they need a reason then they probably have underlying issues with your sexuality anyway and you would probably do better without them in your life.
    True, like nobody ever looks for a "reason" why people are straight! They just are because they are and thats the end of it.
    Sorry should have used multiquote but didn't read through all the posts first! :)

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    You touched a nerve there with me. I was sexually abused by a male when I was a child and I remember when I came out (to a trusted female teacher when I was in my teens) she "suggested" that perhaps I wasn't gay and that I was just "confused" because of my experiences with this guy and that I was shunning all men through fear. I could see her rationale but I knew this was not and never was my reason. I have often thought that maybe I would have experimented more if this had not happened but I always veer away from the "blame" game. I would not say "I am gay because I was abused" as I think this is far too simplistic (and perhaps a little insulting aswell to suggest that this thing which is a huge part of my identity is somehow so transient and flappable that it can be determined one way or another by one traumatic experience. Rather, I consider my sexual identity to be a (positive) part of who I am, it's inherent, and not simply a "result" of some (negative) "cause", like a side effect of some disease or whatever...
    These are feelings of shame and shame is something that others make us feel for who we are because we do not live up to their standards or expectations. Guilt is the opposite, it's the product of blaming ourselves for our perceived faults. I imagine this is the sentiment at the core of the pride movement, ultimately it is all about learning to accept who you are rather than continuing to live under the umbrella of shame that society has placed on loving someone of the same sex. If two women who had been abused found happiness together through an affinity of shared experience, does that still make their love wrong or less valid than anyone elses? Does it really need to be "fixed"? Or is it less "pure" because they weren't "born that way". And ultimately, do you still think this was a choice.
    Anyone who thinks for a minute that it is "not right" probably has issues with homosexuality end of. And I don't even mean that as something that comes from straight society, lgbt culture is filled with the same sentiments and often why it ends up so fking depressingly oppressive and full of fundementalists . And is probably why there are so many screaming queens and angry lesbians clutching on so tightly to their "identity" to begin with. I think it's time people started being really honest with themselves.

These are feelings of shame and shame is something that others make us feel for who we are because we do not live up to their standards or expectations. Guilt is the opposite, it's the product of blaming ourselves for our perceived faults. I imagine this is the sentiment at the core of the pride movement, ultimately it is all about learning to accept who you are rather than continuing to live under the umbrella of shame that society has placed on loving someone of the same sex. If two women who had been abused found happiness together through an affinity of shared experience, does that still make their love wrong or less valid than anyone elses? Does it really need to be "fixed"? Or is it less "pure" because they weren't "born that way". And ultimately, do you still think this was a choice.
    Anyone who thinks for a minute that it is "not right" probably has issues with homosexuality end of. And is probably why there are so many screaming queens and angry lesbians clutching on so tightly to their "identity" to begin with. I think it's time people started being really honest with themselves.
    True. I'm not a big fan of pride (the parade that is, not the concept lol) and was delighted today when I realised I will be out of the country for it (abroad meeting the other half's folks who dont know she's gay but hey thats another thread I think lol). You are right, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter WHY we are something but rather, just that we are. There is a worrying obsession on boards with people starting threads about gay people choosing to be gay, being allowed to marry, being allowed to adopt etc. I find myself constantly justifying my lifestyle to nameless faceless posters... We are where we are, and how we got here is irrelevant.

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Just a thought... are you suggesting that straight women who won't entertain the idea that they could fall in love with a woman are stupid?? :confused: To me, this seems quite intolerant of those who identify as straight, or even as gay, because you're saying anyone who doesn't realise their capacity to fall in love with both sexes is stupid. I realise that what you're suggesting is that sexuality is fluid etc but I find the phrasing you used a bit strong...
    No the stupidity factor was directed at the gay community. This is just one of the responses I pulled from this thread.
    Fire1985 wrote: »
    It's not a choice dumbass. Gay people are born gay.
    It seems if you don't tow the line and believe that gay means born that way then you're a dumbass. It's nice when you find people who have not bought into that mentality and understand that love is a chemical reaction and not a biological consequence exclusive to a particular brand of genetically diverse people. Apparently it requires some level of comprehension to recognise that.

also, I understand love and sex are two different things and wrt to sexual attraction, the brain is the largest erogenous zone in the body, not the penis or genitalia. Consequently, I'm attracted to smart people.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It seems if you don't tow the line and believe that gay means born that way then your a dumbass. It's nice when you find people who have not bought into that mentality and understand that love is a chemical reaction and not a biological consequence exclusive to a particular brand of genetically diverse people..

Eh, yes many people find out later in life but that does not mean they suddenly become "gay" or "bi" etc it just means they found the right person who they love and they happen to be of a different gender.

Eh, yes many people find out later in life but that does not mean they suddenly become "gay" or "bi" etc it just means they found the right person who they love and they happen to be of a different gender.
    This is my point. Some suggested earlier in the thread that we are all born with the capacity to be "gay" or "bi" or "straight" and at some point along the way the die is cast. How we get to that destination is irrelevant but suggesting it is somehow exclusive to a tiny percentage of genetically diverse people is imo not only incorrect but continues to encourage segregation and isolation where there doesn't need to be any.

This one thread has really been the straw that broke the camels back for me. I have gone through most of my adult life without systems or structures of support in place but I've always managed to continue despite at times how difficult it was. This seems to be just another one of those times.
    I find I'm no longer in a position to be able to support the ideals of a culture so exclusive as to be non beneficial to anyone who doesn't move in tandem with the majority, which is ironic given the nature of the beast. I know I have to remove myself from it for the sake of my own health and wellbeing. I know this is probably the same reason why I've failed to develop other support systems in the past but I've been slowly realising some things over the last few months and I'm finding it difficult to continue standing under an umbrella that doesn't really offer me any shelter or provide comfort from the outside.
    I know I don't relate (and you probably don't relate to me) and never felt accepted or protected by it but I think now that might be a good thing. I think maybe in the future things will be different and people will be allowed to just be without having to conform to any particular identity or label or nametag, at least that's what I hope for.
    wish you all well on your journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I think it's a case that because sexuality is a spectrum everybody's experiences and understanding of their sexuality is different.

Some people might be more fluid in their sexualities or lean towards bisexuality, so they don't see sexuality as being rigid or immovable and can consider the possibility of finding love with either sex, even if they have a strong preference one way.

Others have a fairly fixed sexual orientation that is very firmly on one side or other of the spectrum. So I personally wouldn't believe I could fall in love with a female because I just don't think I'm wired that way. Believe me, I tried to be able to do it for years, but just never could feel the way love and lust should feel about women. It just comes naturally though with men.

Because its such a subjective issue people might have a hard time relating to others experiences of sexuality. That's understandable. It doesn't mean somebody is being closed minded because they can't relate to your experiences, just as long as they can respect them as genuine.

As for why people are gay, there are many plausible theories. It's likely that there is no single cause.

Thing is tho, I really don't care why. I know who I am, and I'm happy with that person. I don't ask anything of others than to just respect that and let me live my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

This one thread has really been the straw that broke the camels back for me. I have gone through most of my adult life without systems or structures of support in place but I've always managed to continue despite at times how difficult it was. This seems to be just another one of those times.
    I find I'm no longer in a position to be able to support the ideals of a culture so exclusive as to be non beneficial to anyone who doesn't move in tandem with the majority, which is ironic given the nature of the beast. I know I have to remove myself from it for the sake of my own health and wellbeing. I know this is probably the same reason why I've failed to develop other support systems in the past but I've been slowly realising some things over the last few months and I'm finding it difficult to continue standing under an umbrella that doesn't really offer me any shelter or provide comfort from the outside.
    I know I don't relate (and you probably don't relate to me) and never felt accepted or protected by it but I think now that might be a good thing. I think maybe in the future things will be different and people will be allowed to just be without having to conform to any particular identity or label or nametag, at least that's what I hope for.
    wish you all well on your journeys.

+1

• Advertisement

floggg wrote: »
    I think it's a case that because sexuality is a spectrum everybody's experiences and understanding of their sexuality is different.

Some people might be more fluid in their sexualities or lean towards bisexuality, so they don't see sexuality as being rigid or immovable and can consider the possibility of finding love with either sex, even if they have a strong preference one way.

Others have a fairly fixed sexual orientation that is very firmly on one side or other of the spectrum. So I personally wouldn't believe I could fall in love with a female because I just don't think I'm wired that way. Believe me, I tried to be able to do it for years, but just never could feel the way love and lust should feel about women. It just comes naturally though with men.

Because its such a subjective issue people might have a hard time relating to others experiences of sexuality. That's understandable. It doesn't mean somebody is being closed minded because they can't relate to your experiences, just as long as they can respect them as genuine.

As for why people are gay, there are many plausible theories. It's likely that there is no single cause.

Thing is tho, I really don't care why. I know who I am, and I'm happy with that person. I don't ask anything of others than to just respect that and let me live my life.
    Very good point. I too know in my heart that I am 100% lesbian and that I will never be attracted to a man. To me, it is just as insulting to tell me that I am more "fluid" than I think (in essence, telling me that I dont actually know what I want) as it is to tell someone who IS fluid/flexible that they are to be confined to one label. Nobody knows me better than I know myself and if I want to identify as 100% lesbian with no desire or intention to ever be attracted to males, then that is my choice and nobody is going to tell me that I am being closed-minded or that it is just coincidental that I have not fallen for a particular gender yet.

I also agree with their not being one single "cause", I think I touched on this in an earlier post, that being gay is a complex part of one's identity and not the same as having a certain eye colour/hair colour/height etc - to simplify such a complex issue and confine it to one specific "cause" may be incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Yes I am Gay, I have always been Gay and at this stage Id be blown over (now now) if ever that changed.

The realisation of my sexuality was quiet young, I’d say 13 yrs old or so that I sexually started thinking about other blokes and I was horrified. I went out with girls till I was about 18yrs old, remaining a virgin. It wasn’t till my early twenties that I finally acted on things. I have never felt sexually attracted to women and initially I remember hoping/praying that things would change. Alas that was not to be.

I embrace my life now and I feel very fortunate to experience all that I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

This is my point. Some suggested earlier in the thread that we are all born with the capacity to be "gay" or "bi" or "straight" and at some point along the way the die is cast. How we get to that destination is irrelevant but suggesting it is somehow exclusive to a tiny percentage of genetically diverse people is imo not only incorrect but continues to encourage segregation and isolation where there doesn't need to be any.

Ok.

Well regardless of when or how it happens (this is not known) the facts remains people definitely do not actively choose their orientation and 10%+ of the pop is gay or bi etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,734 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

not_choice wrote: »
    Ok.

Well regardless of when or how it happens (this is not known) the facts remains people definitely do not actively choose their orientation and 10%+ of the pop is gay or bi etc.
    How can you say these are facts? Some people have said they do choose their orientation and this 10% stuff - wasn't that a theory rather than a fact? And hasn't it been disproven?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

No. I've known since I was 12. I didn't understand what girlfriends were about and why the other lads wanted one. On a visual level females have never done anything for me in terms of being attracted to them. I can tell when a woman looks nice but apart from the face I find their bodies unattractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

Here's a question that I've been pondering for a while. Do LGB people decide that they are LGB? I don't mean this that gay people decide to go gay and have a bit of fun and then go back straight and I apologise for this sounding crass.

What I mean is that LGB people usually come out during their pubescent years but are they born LGB? Or is it like straight people who think that girls have cooties when they are ten and only find that girls are good looking at fifteen i.e. that whether a person is gay or straight they only start to find their sexual orientation at puberty?

I don't mean to sound like an oafish bigot when I ask this question - I hope I don't come across as so. Also I left out Transgender people because I simply don't know enough about them and whether they fit into these questions or not. I'm not gay by the way, or even thinking about it. I just want to get opinions.

Is being straight a choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Conor30 wrote: »

giving it a go as we speak.

I gather from the rest of the thread that saying such a thing is treason, but my experience of my sexuality is as valid as anyone else's is.

giving it a go as we speak.

I gather from the rest of the thread that saying such a thing is treason, but my experience of my sexuality is as valid as anyone else's is.

Not treason at all. Everyones experiences and orientations are valid. The problem arises when one decides to speak for others ("you are closed-minded and silly if you willingly disregard one gender" or "how dare you betray your "side" by jumping from one to the other? Make up your mind for gods sake") Both are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

Conor30 wrote: »

You see, I asked myself that and the answer is no. But straight people don't have to come out whereas gay people do. I'm really wondering why that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You see, I asked myself that and the answer is no. But straight people don't have to come out whereas gay people do. I'm really wondering why that is.
    Because you don't write your sexuality on your forehead. It's assumed someone is straight unless they tell you otherwise. I'm not sure how that has any bearing on whether it's a choice?

The closest thing I can equate it to is your handedness. I imagine almost every left-hander can remember someone remarking, "Oh, you're left handed, I didn't know that".
    However, I've never had someone remark on my right-handedness because it's usually assumed someone is right-handed unless they show you otherwise.

Advertisement