Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭uli84

anybody knows if there is a way of getting a continuous glucose monitoring system for a few days at least? kind of rental or trial period? i dont mind paying...thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I got my pump fitted this morning. At the moment, it's just saline for a few days to see how it feels, and then go in next Thursday to formally start the application process. Can't believe how painless the insertion was, and how comfortable it is to wear..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Hi,
    I did'nt post here before, this is the first time. I have a question. Was anyone refused tablets recently. I went into the pharmacy during the week to get my monthly medication(I am type 2) and the pharmacist told me that one of my tablets is no longer available on the LTI book. He told me that if I wanted this tablet that I would have to pay for it(It's called Omacor). Did this happen to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

darkhorse wrote: »
    Hi,
    I did'nt post here before, this is the first time. I have a question. Was anyone refused tablets recently. I went into the pharmacy during the week to get my monthly medication(I am type 2) and the pharmacist told me that one of my tablets is no longer available on the LTI book. He told me that if I wanted this tablet that I would have to pay for it(It's called Omacor). Did this happen to anyone else.
    I think there was something in the news about certain drugs being taken off the LTI list, in order to save the HSE money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hello Lads,

Quick question, I'm an EMT and someone has nicked my glucometer. Now I can use the ambus one, but I always liked having my own in my kit bag.

Where's the easiest to get one?

BX 19 wrote: »
    Hello Lads,

Quick question, I'm an EMT and someone has nicked my glucometer. Now I can use the ambus one, but I always liked having my own in my kit bag.

Where's the easiest to get one?

If you're based in a hospital, the diabetic nurse should have tons you can have for free, otherwise a chemist will sell you one - I've a few spare so if you're stuck send me a pm and I'll post one to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'll try the diabetic nurse the next time I'm in, cheers tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Hi,
    gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I think there was something in the news about certain drugs being taken off the LTI list, in order to save the HSE money
    Omacor, Glucosamine (surprised they were on it all myself) and Gluten free stuff were all removed.

Get this one, look around and you'll get it for €28, bottle lasts months (6 ish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Omacor, Glucosamine (surprised they were on it all myself) and Gluten free stuff were all removed.

Get this one, look around and you'll get it for €28, bottle lasts months (6 ish).

Thanks for that, R.F.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

tbh wrote: »
    I got my pump fitted this morning. At the moment, it's just saline for a few days to see how it feels, and then go in next Thursday to formally start the application process. Can't believe how painless the insertion was, and how comfortable it is to wear..

Excellent stuff. Great that you got it sorted now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

They're stripping stuff off the LTI card? Bloody hell :(

In other news, my dietician is absolutely dreadful - "don't eat lots of sugar, that's bad for diabetes". Well i never.

Measuring glucose without needle pricks
    The underlying concept is a biosensor that is located on the patient’s body. It is also able to measure glucose levels continuously using tissue fluids other than blood, such as in sweat or tears.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Apparently researchers in Germany are working on a sensor based on light- aka you'd shine, I guess a small laser type thingy at your arm and the sensor on the device could measure the defracted light which would vary depending on blood sugar level. I wonder how they'd calibrate these things- obviously it would be individual to the wearer, and would have to take into account a myriad of factors.Sounds like progress though- wonder how long it would take to develop this as a consumer product.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

5live wrote: »
    Just reading New Scientist yesterday and the were talking about new research which indicates Alzheimers could be caused by a type of diabetes which affects the brain. Its like type 2 diabetes but just affecting the brain cells:eek::eek::eek:

There is a follow-up article on this by George Monbiot (of The Guardian), the referenced version is on his website here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Does anybody who uses carbohydrate counting know about including the likes of lentils and chick peas. The dietician said not to include them which I believe her but am just a bit confused sometimes when I am eating a dinner or lunch that contains these kind of ingredients. Do I not include them at all, for instance for lunch today I had a lentil and goats cheese salad from M&S with some home made bread. The packet said it had 34g carbohydrate and I ate half the tub. Should I just account for the bread or do I give anything for the salad? The same goes for a chickpea curry I get in an Asian shop, it gives a carb level of about 50g and I would have it with either a small bit of nan bread or some rice. Do I ignore the 50g carbs and just add for the bread or rice? Sometimes I just eat the curry on its own, what do I do then?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Does anybody who uses carbohydrate counting know about including the likes of lentils and chick peas. The dietician said not to include them which I believe her but am just a bit confused sometimes when I am eating a dinner or lunch that contains these kind of ingredients. Do I not include them at all, for instance for lunch today I had a lentil and goats cheese salad from M&S with some home made bread. The packet said it had 34g carbohydrate and I ate half the tub. Should I just account for the bread or do I give anything for the salad? The same goes for a chickpea curry I get in an Asian shop, it gives a carb level of about 50g and I would have it with either a small bit of nan bread or some rice. Do I ignore the 50g carbs and just add for the bread or rice? Sometimes I just eat the curry on its own, what do I do then?

You could check your blood sugar levels(BSL's) test 2 hours after eating this kind of food on a couple of occasions. If you have included them in the count and your BSL's are low then try not including them a couple of times. Because everyone with diabetes is different what I do might not work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I could be wrong but maybe she means not to bother counting them on their own, as the carbs in them then is negligible, however dishes which only include them, may have other constituents which contain carbs, so I think you should count whatever the carb content on the back is. I may well be wrong in saying that but that's my 2 cents on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Poster caught in doping scandal before cycle race ;)

21%2520Should%2520have%2520done%2520this%2520before%2520the%2520race.JPG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That is a great shot...I mean the picture.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    That is a great shot...I mean the picture.

http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot

Thought I was feeling a bit crappy this afternoon.

Seems that I forgot to press the bolus button on the pump at lunch time and am now at 23.3. :(:(:(

Really should have paid attention to how I felt and checked the bolus history setting on the pump earlier.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Thought I was feeling a bit crappy this afternoon.

Seems that I forgot to press the bolus button on the pump at lunch time and am now at 23.3. :(:(:(

Really should have paid attention to how I felt and checked the bolus history setting on the pump earlier.
    Sorry to hear that - I hate bad highs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

How long would this take to send you through the roof bloods wise, its my greatest hate to have excessively high bloods, misery is an understatement for how it makes me feel.

CramCycle wrote: »
    How long would this take to send you through the roof bloods wise, its my greatest hate to have excessively high bloods, misery is an understatement for how it makes me feel.

I was 7.1 and eating at about 1:30pm. I tested and got the 23.3 at 4:30pm because I was feeling a bit rubbish and wondered what was going on as I was planning on going for a run this evening. I'd often test a bit before running and turning the basal down, depending on what that is I'd then do another test and maybe have a swig of lucozade just before heading out the door if I was planning on being out for a while.

I knew I was feeling a bit off at least an hour before hand, but ignored it because was just a busy day and there was obviously no way I'd have forgotten to take the bolus. Infact the first thing I checked on getting the high reading was that I was plugged in, rather than the more obvious point of human error being the idiot robinph forgetting to press the button for the bolus.

I've now spent the evening catching up on some TV and eating more food rather than running so feel a bit guilty...but not that much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mincork

Hi there

Hope You folks can help me out... ( type 2 , taking glucophage 850 mg x 3 per day , diag. Nov 2011 )

I spoke to the local diabetic nurse about my levels and asked her what meds would be advised as the glucophage is just not cutting it. She advised me of a med that you take in conjunction with glucophage before starting totally new meds. And for the life of me , I cant bloody remember what it's called.lol I think it starts with a D , and it's meant to assist glucophage in utilising the last remaining insulin . I was hoping to do a bit of research over the weekend , but alas , it looks like I'm gonna have to confirm the name in the week.

Thanks for looking and hope you can help.

Cheers

M

Mincork wrote: »
    Hi there

Hope You folks can help me out... ( type 2 , taking glucophage 850 mg x 3 per day , diag. Nov 2011 )

I spoke to the local diabetic nurse about my levels and asked her what meds would be advised as the glucophage is just not cutting it. She advised me of a med that you take in conjunction with glucophage before starting totally new meds. And for the life of me , I cant bloody remember what it's called.lol I think it starts with a D , and it's meant to assist glucophage in utilising the last remaining insulin . I was hoping to do a bit of research over the weekend , but alas , it looks like I'm gonna have to confirm the name in the week.

Thanks for looking and hope you can help.

Cheers

M
    Diamicron?

If it is, you take it instead of Glucophage as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mincork

Thanks mate , yep that's what it was, she told me it would be best to start on 30 mg with glucohage and after a trial period the dosage can increase a few times till 120 mg.

Gonna do a bit of research for myself , then I'll chat to my GP , also there is an HSE Xpert program starting in my area in two weeks , will run it by them as well.

Thanks again mate ;)

Cheers

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Mincork wrote: »
    Thanks mate , yep that's what it was, she told me it would be best to start on 30 mg with glucohage and after a trial period the dosage can increase a few times till 120 mg.

Gonna do a bit of research for myself , then I'll chat to my GP , also there is an HSE Xpert program starting in my area in two weeks , will run it by them as well.

Thanks again mate ;)

Cheers

M

Was it a big green yoke? I recall having to ingest what i could only describe as a giant jelly bean when i was in hospital when i was initially diagnosed. I was thankfully dropped to glucophage (I'm also on 3x850mg per day - we should get tshirts printed! :D).

Question for ye folks - what would ye frequently drink? I'm in the process of kicking my Pepsi Max habbit/addiction (aspartame city, i know), and happily replacing it with fizzy water with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Hot drinks wise, i've always preferred teas of either lemon & ginger, peppermint, or green, so that's never been an issue (never touched coffee, hate the stuff and have drank regular tea + milk without sugar most of my life, so that's another non-issue).

I'm also curious about what ye'd have on a night out? I've never enjoyed drinking (less so being drunk) so i have no problem avoiding alcohol, but i'd usually have either a Club Lemon or Lucozade in hand (more so i don't get turfed out of the bar for not buying anything!), but obviously that doesn't happen any more! I loathe to have a Diet Coke or 7Up in front of me (highly offensive to the palette/wallet). I've recently had non-alcoholic Erdinger on a night out. Ticked all my boxes could enjoy it slowly over a period of time, felt grand after it etc), but i'm of course conscious of its carbohydrate content.

Cheers for any suggestions :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,452 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hi,

I am type 1. I got my monthly supplies today less the Omacor. Chemist said it would cost €63 (2 boxes) to buy as a one off or around €58 if I was buying every month. And she said that is not anywhere near the dearest item on my list, I suppose most of us wouldn't know what these things cost to buy since we get them for free.

Anyway Omacor wasn't on my list originally but one time when I went to the doctor for a blood pressure check a new doctor was very insistent that it should be added. I got the impression that she must have some sort of deal with the drug company. The chemist showed me a shelf full of Omacor which they have no real prospect of selling so the drug company will be a bit upset I imagine.

I will ask the doctor what to do at next visit. Someone at work showed me something very similar looking they got in Aldi or Lidl but I suspect it wouldn't be the same.

Advertisement