Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Android Tablet

Options
  • 19-11-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Whats the best good value <$200 android tablet out there.

I'd be looking for long battery life and 2.2 and good build quality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

There aren't any.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

In fact, this could be just the ticket for you:

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_36_66&products_id=430

I've been looking into tablets a bit over the last week and that looks like a decent buy. Good battery life, 2.2 / froyo, decent build quality by all accounts and just under the $200 mark you mention. :) I'd say the firmware's still a bit rough around the edges, but it more or less fits your bill.

Edit: Very seriously considering the ZT-180 myself. Just need to do a bit more reading on it.

I bought the model up from that, it's ****.

Android and resistive were not meant to be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The advent vega is out of your budget but it's looking to be the best cheapish android tablet. Can't find any reviews though despite them selling a handful before they were out of stock.

Baza210 wrote: »
    I bought the model up from that, it's ****.

The model up from the MIDnite, or the ZT-180? Both of them look very responsive in videos. Have you tried using a stylus? Not ideal I know, but I think they work well with resistive screens.
    Android and resistive were not meant to be.

Hmmmmm. I don't have the money for a capacitive screen, though I do want something for movie playback on the train.

• Advertisement

Sorry, thought you had linked to their rockpad. I bought MIDnite. It is absolute junk. Yes, it comes with a stylus, and no that doesn't help. Right now the device won't even unlock. AlmightyCushion is right in that the Vega looks to be the cheapest one worth bothering about. The Archos 70 is OK but for some bizarre reason Archos put the buttons on the actual screen which would do my head in completely.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sorry, thought you had linked to their rockpad. I bought MIDnite. It is absolute junk. Yes, it comes with a stylus, and no that doesn't help. Right now the device won't even unlock. AlmightyCushion is right in that the Vega looks to be the cheapest one worth bothering about. The Archos 70 is OK but for some bizarre reason Archos put the buttons on the actual screen which would do my head in completely.

Forgot about the archos 101. Are they any good? The toshiba folio is at a nice price point, pity they destroyed it with crap software and crappy scree.

I only got to use the 70, it seemed decent. The Tab has obviously set a massively high standard though.

I only got to use the 70, it seemed decent. The Tab has obviously set a massively high standard though.

The galaxy tab is nice but it is very pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You're not going to find a good Tablet for that price, simple as. Save your pennies and get a Tab or an iPad. Those are your best options currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭powerstar

Hi I think notion ink adam is starting pre-ordering from next month.
    This looks like best bet in all tablets at the moment.

www.notionink.com
    http://notionink.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

powerstar wrote: »
    Hi I think notion ink adam is starting pre-ordering from next month.
    This looks like best bet in all tablets at the moment.

www.notionink.com
    http://notionink.wordpress.com/

I wouldn't hold your breath, and truthfully at this point with all the delays they have had releasing it I wouldn't trust them staying around long and keeping up support and without a guaranteed update to gingerbread I wouldn't buy any android tablet.

It is absolute junk. Yes, it comes with a stylus, and no that doesn't help. Right now the device won't even unlock.

Jesus. That's bad. :( Are they releasing regular firmware updates at least?

I'm 99% decided on a zt-180. I think it'll fit my needs well despite the resistive touch screen. There's a battery mod that you can do to bring it up to around the 8 hour mark for around 30 euro. I have found the tablet itself for €120 including delivery. Game on.

I wouldn't hold your breath, and truthfully at this point with all the delays they have had releasing it I wouldn't trust them staying around long and keeping up support and without a guaranteed update to gingerbread I wouldn't buy any android tablet.

As Reliance is backing them as investors we can trust them, according to their blog they sorted out the investors problem what was caused initial delay.
    coming to gingerbread it's upgradeable and they are making custom UI for adam as well, and their website has a countdown timer which shows 15 days left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

Looks very good but I didn't see the timer?

fransdev wrote: »
    Looks very good but I didn't see the timer?

It was a binary counter which is changing every day. It's in the top right corner.
    I got this info from their blog

http://notionink.wordpress.com/2010/11/23/new-site-is-up/#comment-18065
    :)

Khannie wrote: »
    Jesus. That's bad. :( Are they releasing regular firmware updates at least?

I'm 99% decided on a zt-180. I think it'll fit my needs well despite the resistive touch screen. There's a battery mod that you can do to bring it up to around the 8 hour mark for around 30 euro. I have found the tablet itself for €120 including delivery. Game on.

I dunno, I pretty much gave up on it. It's on the floor somewhere.

Advertisement