Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Supplements

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I have been thinking of buying some whey .
    I am trying to lose a little weight and tone up with weights machines.

There is so much reading in this one thread its hard to find.

My question is.

Instead of using whey shakes.

Could I not just drink a pint of low fat milk and get similar results in recovery?

No expert, but IMHO is losing weight is your goal, then there should be no reason to take shakes, unless for convenience.

Whey supplements which are not sold as weight gainers are mostly low in fat and carbs. A pint of low fat milk would provide circa 24g of carbs. Not a lot I will grant you, but just be aware of it.

Do you know how many calories you require each day/week to maintain you current weight (maintenance calorie figure)? Are you concerned with or have you give any thought to the macro nutrient (Protein, Fats, Carbs) breakdown of your diet?

At a very basic level you should know you maintenance calorie figure, so that you can create a daily/weekly calorie deficit to facilitate weight loss.

Then resistance training and eating an appropriate amount of protein, should encourage you body to retain lean muscle and dip into your fat reserves for the extra energy required to bridge the deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

marathonic wrote: »
    What about 'best before' dates?.

Have until 2013 for mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

No they wont. Theres tons of popular/good brands in the supp industry? and Optimum was acquired in 2008 and prices havent increased

A number of brands and websites have sent emails out about price increases happening soon if not already.
    There have been a number of threads on it already.

AFAIK, the reason is the raw ingredients for whey protein are becoming more scarce due to increased demand which is driving the price up.

Competition or no competition in the supplement industry, the price is on the increase

• Registered Users Posts: 6 _fact_

Dunno if this is meant to go here,so moderator move/delete as appropriate.

First time I've post on boards.ie,been creeping long enough so thought it time to give my 2 cents worth.

Sites for buying supplements

http://www.universalnutrition.ie/
    Universal was the first store I bought my supplements from, always sound in the shop and happy to offer advise/guidance on your supplement requirements.

I don't live near the shop so was bit of a trek, website was a gift. Brilliant selection, competitive prices and free shaker on orders over €75 and free delivery.

Then I started shopping around and searching for alternatives. The majority were sites from the USA and didn't ship to Ireland.

Found this gem, lads based down in Kerry, boi;

http://www.hpnutrition.net/store/

Initally when I bought from HP it was free delivery on orders over €75 now its €80, you don't get any free shakers but they are usually good and throw in some samples.

They have more promotions than Universal and offer better stacks and discount on bulk. Only downside is that delivery is not always on time, usually +/- 3 days.

Then I looked across the ocean. None of the sites could ever compete with HP and Universal, would always work out more expensive with shipping costs/exchange rates.

Then found Dolphin Fitness.

http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/dolphin-fitness

Ordered on the Friday (2pm) and had my supplements by Tuesday 10am.
    By far the most prompt delivery and the most competitively priced supplement website on the net.

Really wish I could keep the business in Ireland, but the difference is usually about €10/15 and it all adds up.

(Prices are based on ON Protein, Animal Paks and Jacked, generally these products +/- Creatine)

Sites for supplement reviews
    http://supplementreviews.com/

This is the bible,nothing else matters as far as I'm concerned. Before I buy a product always consult this.

Well that's my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Interesting, have used both of the Irish ones but have never heard of dolphin, whats the shipping price usually?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

www.predatornutrition.co.uk
    Good prices and a very large range of supplements. Sometimes ship free shakers depending on the order and put in samples for free too.
    Very good customer service.
    Deliverys by registered post with smaller orders which is handy.

@jugger0
    the shipping price varies on dolphin,the more you buy the cheaper it is
    for example my last purchase was:
    Nutrisport 90 Protein
    Jacked
    Reflex Creatine

cost:€71.17
    shipping:€4.55

literally have to wait 48hrs and you have your products,brilliant service

@will56
    had a look at that site,very well laid out.
    but more expensive than dolphin,but the same products in a basket €76.54 before shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭marathonic

:confused: I never got any emails and I buy off a few sites. Links? Copy and paste the emails?

Most sites will just increase prices without warning. myProtein is one of the bigger ones that pre-announced the price increases which were significant - somewhere in the region of 15%.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

I get my Pak, Omega, CLA and PM from iherb, 2 days delivery fron the states and hasnt been stopped yet, think it works out as 15 quid delivery so with dolla to euro your getting the omega for free..may not alway be like that but on todays exchange rates its ok.

I get my casein and whey from SNI http://www.sportsnutritionireland.ie/

The shop is local and Jack that owns it works there and is always helpful with advice and throws in a few bits so i like to keep business there...they cant compete on the animal line so not a lot i can do there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

:confused: I never got any emails and I buy off a few sites. Links? Copy and paste the emails?

http://community.myprotein.com/content/increasing-whey-protein-prices-612/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Hi

Does anyone have any info/reviews on NutriSport 90+ ?

Its coming in way cheaper than myprotein impact whey and the nutrition profile seems to stack up against it too taken at 50g per serving.

http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/nutrisport-90-protein-5kg/2645

thanks
    Rob

whats the craic rob.

got it like 2 weeks ago.

just the basics:
    take one scoop after workout and one scoop before bed.
    cause its a whey/casein blend works well both directly after training and before you go to bed.
    touch wood havnt had any dodgy gas off it,yet :)

mix ability = when compared to ON or Myofusion it is a lot thicker and froths up alot.
    to combat this I usually put in 500ml water,consistency is malt-y almost horlicks like, to be honest takes a little getting used to but when you do lovely. its not sweet like some of the other proteins and tastes natural.
    chocolate tastes good and as is the only one I have taken, would recommend it

i'm not a pro or anything like it,just hit the gym 3/4 times a week and this suits my needs down to the ground.

my brother is health freak and takes both ON whey and ON casein,he studies Health and Performance Science in UCD, so knows his stuff.
    he is going to start taking Nutrisport once his ON runs out, because nutritionally its the same and works out a hell of a lot cheaper.
    only thing is its missing a few BCAA's but you can make up for them with either Animal Pak or USP labs BCAA's

also Nutrisport can be used as a meal replacement,ehhh thats about the height of my knowledge of the product...hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keezer

Tbh, it dosent do much for me, then again red bull dose nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Jack3d for me was great, but very very addicting.. also the tolerance thing is a pain in the ass too. Check out 1MR aswell its supposed to be class.

Haven't tried a pre-workout supplement before. I think coffee and oats will suit me fine until I can't raise the weights through alternative means - change of routine/diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Armedocr

I hope you get some effect off it. I've never felt anything from pre work out supps Jack3d included :/

For those of you buying whey, I've just had an email from myProtein saying they're now offering whey in four new flavours:

Banoffee | Mocha | Latte | Toffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Only whey flavour I'd be interested in is peanut butter.

Apparently ON and a few others do that in US

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭aristo

Went to get some today and it has been banned here due to some ingredient:rolleyes:
    meant the be reformulated and back soon but probably wont be as good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

where did you go can i ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

This stuff is a bit mad. Did feel very focused and psyched for lifting. And pushed really hard cycling.
    The after-effects suck though, i feel a bit down and totally tired all day, like ive been doing meth or something (seriously).

Had a workout without it today, increased all my weights, and felt amazing afterwards, stim-free. The main reason i workout is to feel good, and taking this stuff complete gets rid of that aspect, so i dont like that at all.

Don't think this stuff is for me, but i see how it could be useful if you were after a long day at work and needed the extra boost/motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭UUJ_Lad

Having used noxplode and jack3d, I think the former gives more of a 'pump' (prob due to an abundance of the particular substance that does it, someone will know which exact one I'm sure), wheres jack3d certainly helps you become more focused and is a more subtle energy booster.

I am still unsure as to just how much of these products are indeed 'mental', but in my experienced jack3d is the better product - Cheaper too which always helps.

I wouldn't take it though anytime after the afternoon because it does keep you awake, and as someone pointed out - You will get one day where you are just completely running on empty at about 9pm, bed time stuff. I just take it first thing in morn because I go to gym before work.

Was always meaning to order the product 'Pulse' from myprotein, but it always seems to be out of stock whenever I am buying.

myProtein unflavoured 5kg of whey concentrate is €53.29. The flavoured is €71.29. That's a €18 difference.

Their flavdrops for flavouring the unflavoured whey are normally over €10 per 50ml bottle (enough for 100 servings according to their website). I've just read on another website that they're down to €1.29.

You can see them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

marathonic wrote: »
    myProtein unflavoured 5kg of whey concentrate is €53.29. The flavoured is €71.29. That's a €18 difference.

Their flavdrops for flavouring the unflavoured whey are normally over €10 per 50ml bottle (enough for 100 servings according to their website). I've just read on another website that they're down to €1.29.

You can see them here.

Has anyone tried the unflavoured stuff? Taste isn't that important to me as it just gets chugged down anyway. But of it was rank then it might be difficult to get down when some oats are added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

does anyone else get absolutely no benefit from jack3d? all my mates love it and rave about. So I bought it and feel nothing when i take it. . . .

does anyone else get absolutely no benefit from jack3d? all my mates love it and rave about. So I bought it and feel nothing when i take it. . . .

because its a stimulant and caffeine based,if your a big tea/coffee drinker doesnt work that well.

so maybe cut out all caffeine for 2 weeks and then take it.

take it as directed and hit cardio for 5/10 minutes to get the blooding flowing,usually feel 'tingly' sensation then you know its working.

i dont get the pumped feeling unless i'm hitting the biceps/triceps.
    just more focused when i'm training and can generally get at least 1/2 more reps.

i've cycled on and off it and can definately notice the difference when not taking it,could all be psychological though.

I haven't tried it but I usually find the reviews on myProtein trustable enough (they're too big and reputable to be putting in false reviews and, if you read the reviews on BCAA powder, you'll see plenty complaining about a rotten taste).

If you're buying it and the flavdrops are still only 1.29, I'd add them to your order as that's pretty cheap. Supposedly, the Toffee is the nicest followed by rasberry and banana. Based on a review I've read from someone who's tried them all, chocolate and apple are the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

my mate gave me a serving of 1rm today.
    nice blast for squating but not a nice come down - pretty much like the 4am comedown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

lads - I add a big scoup of wheat bran to my morning shakes as it helps keep me regular.
    Do you know if this is a reasonable substitute for waxy maize in my pwo shake?
    I could just take it pwo rather than first thing.

ta

Advertisement