Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bioshock: Convince me to play it and like it!

• 22-05-2015 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I have always been fascinated by the Bioshock Trilogy. I have all 3 games on Steam, and I have yet to play any of them properly.

I cannot seem to pull myself into the game! I have a very similar feeling towards Half Life but as of this moment I can't be bothered with that franchise.

What is so good about Bioshock that it drives such popularity among gamers? What sells it? I'm told it's the story, but how good is the story? Here's what it looks like from my outside, narrow-minded perspective.

It's a first-person shooter with small horror elements and a good story.

My girlfriend finished all three games and told me she loved every minute of it. And she is a very picky gamer, she plays the smallest handful of AAA titles and her favourite game is The Last of Us. So if she is convinced by Bioshock, surely I should be as well?

Long story short: What is good about Bioshock and why should I play it, now? I'm intrigued but have never been fully interested in playing it..

(P.S. Motivation gets me in the mood to play certain games, this is basically what I'm fishing for :P)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It has some of the best settings in gaming history. Rapture ,in particular, and Colombia are oozing with great atmosphere and history.

The story in the first Bioshock is great with a famous twist that provides a "holy ****" moment when it occurs. Bioshock 2 is a probably the weakest in the story department. Bioshock Infinite has a great story too though i felt it was overrated massively.

In terms of gameplay they're not massively original but i did find them fun to play.

It is a great trilogy overall though and worth giving a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭swine

If the demo to BioShock 1 doesn't sell you (first half hour or so) then I wouldn't bother. BioShock is all about the atmosphere and the setting. Years after playing it I still have vivid memories of outstanding parts of it. Gameplay wise it's not re-inventing the wheel or anything. The plasmids are pretty fun to play about with. For what it's worth I never got on with the HL games.

Damn it, now I want to play BioShock again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Play 1 and 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

See my problem is I have a lot of trouble immersing myself into a game on PC. Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and, of course, Boards (lol) distracts me and my monitor is too small for my liking (23").

I have over 100 games in my Steam library (most of them are AAA titles, I think) but the only game I seem to keep looking at and hesitating to click 'Play' on is this game.

I really want to get into this game's setting and story. It takes me a while before I find that *ding* moment where I finally sink into a game and I don't want to turn it off.

No game has done it for me this year so far, much to my surprise, as last year was a great year for me.

I will download all three games and try it out over the course of the week.

Watching trailers helps me get into a game as well.

Cheers for the hype ride, lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Would you kindly play bioshock?

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Would you kindly play bioshock?

On it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Play 1 and 3.

Play 2 as well. 2 gets too much criticism, it's not on 1 and Infinite's level but is still a quality game.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Play 2 as well. 2 gets too much criticism, it's not on 1 and Infinite's level but is still a quality game.

Chances are I probably won't notice any bad points. I'm oblivious to things like that sometimes. I suppose that's the best way to be! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Whatever about the atmosphere, the setting, the story, etc. Just play it for one of the best "HOLY SHEIT" moments in entertainment history. Up there with The Usual Suspects for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Bioshock 1 is pretty amazing. 2 was pretty good also. Infinite got rave reviews but i had to uninstall it about 3-4 hours in, It just bored me to tears.

Play 1 and 2, skip Infinite :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I think I've made a big mistake but I've played 2, got about halfway through, put Destiny back in and haven't thought about bioshock since.
    I was enjoying it to an extent but it always felt a bit clunky to me and the story wasn't doing much for me either. Rapture had me a little depressed too...

I don't know, I'll probably finished it at some stage but I feel like I'm forcing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Bioshock 1 is pretty amazing. 2 was pretty good also. Infinite got rave reviews but i had to uninstall it about 3-4 hours in, It just bored me to tears.

Play 1 and 2, skip Infinite :cool:

Thought infinite was incredible but I never played one or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I take it you have played other FPS games and enjoyed them, so what is putting you off this one which actually has a good story compared to the multitude of other series of FPS games that are churned out with barely any story?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Infinite I loved ,i loved the setting,couldn't get into 1 or 2 at all though.

• Bioshock was one of the first games I played on my Xbox 360 and was also one of the first games where I became fully immersed with everything - the setting, the mood, the characters. Bioshock 2 wasn't a bad game, but it just was nowhere near as good as it's predecessor. Having said that, the DLC for 2, Minerva's Den, is just as good as the first game so I've heard - I haven't played it. With regards to Bioshock Infinite - I loved it. Sure the combat was repetitive and each fight felt more like a stage than actual combat, but it was the music, the atmosphere, the story that drew me in and still grabs me.

I often say that Last of Us and Infinite are very similar games - let's have it, LoU was quite repetitive in many aspects and had way too many convenient things to hide behind, but peoples always rage about the story, not the gameplay.

The thing with Bioshock is that I'm not sure how effective it would be to play now for the first time - back then, there just weren't many games like it. It still looks beautiful despite its age.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

OP: just play it, if you don't like it after say, 8 hours, just move along, not every game is to everyones tastes.

Everyone else:
    Even alluding to the twist is not cool

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Get a bottle of wine, and play the third one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

As has been stated, the setting and theme of Bioshock is probably the best thing about, I found the mechanics of it to be "not great".

As for taking time to get sucked into it, I had the same problem, just didn't click for some reason, at least until you get to a certain point in the story and everything that you just went through is put in perspective.

Also, I really love level design, and this has some absolutely brilliant ones. The guy that did "Cradle" in thief did a few of the levels in this, one in particular that sticks in my mind constantly is the ballroom, where there's enemies coming from all sides, with classical music blaring out at you, until finally you realise that you're not dodging enemies or strafing sideways, you're in a vicious, violent dance to the death. Pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

I'd add another option - System Shock 2.

I'm working my way through the series. Bioshock 1 was my favourite, original story and atmosphere.

I think Bioshock 2 suffers as the gameplay is more or less the same, the story and atmosphere aren't as strong or compelling. On it's own it would be considered a very good game.

I've mixed feelings about infinite - halfway through at the moment. Gameplay appears the same (bar the skylining) and the story isn't grabbing me. The environment is very expansive and it seems like a gigantic world. I'll stick with it.

Overall I think they are very good games, but not quite as good as the critics might make them out to be. Certainly playing all three back to back shows the flaws in the gameplay. I'm not a good gamer but I never get stuck on anything and it all seems to be more linear than it should be. The "Leveling up" aspects seems to come a bit too easy and there's no real hard choices to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Its been about a week since I finished Bioshock infinite and I'm still thinking about it. what a great story.

Bioshock has always for me been a game that somehow elevates itself above the sum of its parts, the shooting / puzzles / graphics (on console anyway) are propped up by consistent art design, story, and atmosphere.

Its worth remembering that not all games appeal to all men though, so if you're not enjoying it after 6 or 7 hours, you're not going to enjoy the rest they have to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought Bioshock Infinite was a pretty good game but it didn't capture the imagination like Bioshock and Bioshock 2 did - Rapture was just a much more immersive, hauntingly fascinating world. The DLC for Bioshock Infinite is good though.

The original Bioshock is hands down the best of them by a long shot though - belongs on any 'must play' list, which can't be really said of the other two even though they are good games too.

Bioshock 2 gets stick but the problem was that it was just more of the same rather than something new - I personally loved it all the same and thought it was a very good game, wasn't made by the same people as Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite though. Just a very 'safe' sequel.

I'd still rate them Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I played the first Bioshock when it first came out on xbox and it was ok never bothered getting the rest. I may do in the future if I finish playing my back log. Another series I played the first but not the rest was Assassins Creed.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

I played bioshock infinite and thought it was incredible. Lack of ammo really forces you to use a variety of weapons and the vigour aspect is really cool. Story is gripping and after I was finished I was thinking about it for weeks afterwards on par with the last of us single player for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

i absolutely adored bioshock 1 after giving it a bit of time.. i was intrigued by the setting and atmosphere, which i grew to love, but what got me completely hooked was after unlocking a few plasmids fairly early on.

messing about with those was great fun, and the mechanics worked well together i though.. set a guy on fire,and watch him run to a water leak to put it out. then, as he's standing in the puddle of water from the leak, it's shockingly good fun to watch him dance as you electrocute him, with extra damage for the fact he's in a wet zone.. finally, the icing on the cake is when you then freeze him solid to within an inch of his life and shatter the bugger with one lovely thwack of the wrench...

seriously, that just never gets old :)

also, i might be in the minority here, but i really enjoyed the whole 'hacking' scenario puzzles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Got the 3 in a steam sale about 6 months ago. Played 1 and spent about 2 hours setting up and killing a big daddy and a load of other bad dudes and finally did it was delighted. Moved on a bit and forgot to save got killed and rage quit. Not touched it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

What I would give to play Bioshock 1 for the first time with headphones on and a projector....

Play Bioshock 1
    Bioshock 2 (Bashed for ridiculous reasons)
    Bioshock 2 Minervas Den (Finest DLC ever released IMO)
    Bioshock infinite dlc 1 & 2 (Link in Bioshock 1) not so much infinite main game

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

J. Marston wrote: »

Another shout our for 2. Its a different type of game - your prepping, hacking and getting organised before battles rather than running and gunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Icaras wrote: »
    Another shout our for 2. Its a different type of game - your prepping, hacking and getting organised before battles rather than running and gunning.

Didn't like some of the story retcon that was in 2, but it's a better game than Infinite. It is easy to understand why it's viewed as disappointment though, it feels more like a huge piece of DLC instead of a whole new game. The setting in Infinite is wasted. So much potential for a much more interesting experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

This song sums up the first 2 bioshock games. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Advertisement