Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Passed, woop woop, doing a little dance here. Now to go to the NDLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SillyGal

Passed today on my second try!! I'm so excited I finally qualify to post on this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Passed first time today in Rathgar! Thanks to all posters, this thread was a big help.

BTW I didn't get N plates from the tester...I must have been too excited. Anyway can I get N plates from the NDLS or do I have to go back to the test centre? Do you even get them from the tester in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

The_N4sir wrote: »
    Passed first time today in Rathgar! Thanks to all posters, this thread was a big help.

BTW I didn't get N plates from the tester...I must have been too excited. Anyway can I get N plates from the NDLS or do I have to go back to the test centre? Do you even get them from the tester in the first place?

I had to buy mine. One of my friends was given them after she passed but she was in the Woodview centre in Limerick. Myself and others that did it in the Casltemungret one didn't get them at all. Depends on the centre, it seems.

I had to buy mine. One of my friends was given them after she passed but she was in the Woodview centre in Limerick. Myself and others that did it in the Casltemungret one didn't get them at all. Depends on the centre, it seems.

Thanks for that. Where did you buy them if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

The_N4sir wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Where did you buy them if you don't mind me asking?

There's a halfords near me so I got them there. I'm not 100% sure what other shops do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Craftylee

That's surprising, I thought they gave all new drivers a N plate, but typically any motor store will sell them, halfords being one, or try online (might be cheaper). I remember when I was waiting for my test result, he started pulling lots of paper out of a draw and handed me the N plate before he even said I had passed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,754 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I've seen them in a few Dunnes Stores. Ashleaf, if it's hand for you near Rathgar.

It looks like they're becoming about as widespread as L plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Also seen N plates in several pound shops. The one in Nutgrove SC had some if you're near there though I was given a set when I passed in Rathgar.

Picked up my N plates today in Dunnes Leopardstown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Passed today in Rathgar!! (Second time)
    The tester was a much nicer guy than last time, he genuinely put me at ease.
    I got 4 Grade 2s for Speed (going too fast) which really surprised me, I am always very careful and my instructor had told me to watch out for lack of progress marks for being too slow.
    I'm soooooooooo happy to never have to go through that again!

Also, I picked up my N plates in the Applegreen on the N11 at the top of Mount Merrion (they don't give them out at the test centre anymore :()

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jwhat

Passed my EB test, it was ten years since I did my original test so I was a bit worried but having some lessons beforehand really helped!
    I got 2 grade two's and one grade one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Long time lurker first time poster in this forum.

Finally passed my test today - on my fourth (yes,fourth) go!

Absolutely over the moon, I never thought I'd get it & was on the verge of giving up. To anyone out there who hasn't passed yet, don't give up you will pass.

Got 6 grade 2's for stupid things that I put down to nerves, got a nice early slot this morning which helped.

Time to go up to the NDLS and apply for my licence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

Finally!!!!!!! It is my turn to post in this thread! SOOO HAPPY!!!

Passed my driving test yesterday in Dundalk on the 5th attempt with only 2 blue marks and several greens :) Yay! Happy days! And a great THANK YOU goes to this Forum members for recommendation of the driving instructor. I would not name him in order not to break the forum rules but he seems to be really well-known here. ;)

Like previous poster James Forde I was feeling like giving up trying for more than once and continued driving only of sheer necessity. The last test before I went back to learning had been failed disgracefully with 37 blue and a bunch of pink marks. You would swear the poor tester was praying under his breath for the duration of it :eek:. Yesterday I got the same tester and passed after making only a couple of silly mistakes (though I should admit that I was a nervous wreck from the very first to the very last moment of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Just passed C today. Somewhat shocked...and chuffed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

Finally passed today in Tallaght on what I think was my 5th attempt (took a long hiatus from going for it). Totally thought I'd fecked it up cause I forgot to get in gear a few times moving off. The tester was lovely and I was totally shocked when I was told I'd passed.

The form I got is totally different to what I got previously - he only circled different areas (mainly progress). Nothing about grade 1,2 or 3s - noticed that it says at the bottom that a report will be sent out, I assume I'll get it by post?

Anyway I headed to the NDLS in Citywest soon after and got in and out of there in under an hour. Cannot believe it's actually over!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

sophya wrote: »
    Finally passed today in Tallaght on what I think was my 5th attempt (took a long hiatus from going for it). Totally thought I'd fecked it up cause I forgot to get in gear a few times moving off. The tester was lovely and I was totally shocked when I was told I'd passed.

The form I got is totally different to what I got previously - he only circled different areas (mainly progress). Nothing about grade 1,2 or 3s - noticed that it says at the bottom that a report will be sent out, I assume I'll get it by post?

Anyway I headed to the NDLS in Citywest soon after and got in and out of there in under an hour. Cannot believe it's actually over!

Congrats on passing how much notice did they give you prior to your test date.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

Passed first time yesterday in Waterford with a few green marks and one blue!

If I can do it, anyone can- I can't stress that enough. Just a couple of weeks ago I was still a nervous wreck in the car with my instructor, stalling the car and getting unnecessarily worked up over every mistake! Was fine doing normal driving but as soon as someone was judging me and telling me what to do I lost all confidence. It was only in the last couple of refresher lessons that I started getting more comfortable. I've had my learner's permit for far longer than I care to admit, thought I'd never get to this stage!

I practised a LOT of positive thinking in the days leading up to the test- didn't dwell on the possibility of failing it or what could go wrong, just pictured myself driving really well and reminded myself of the fact that I'm a perfectly capable driver. I was so strangely calm when the actual test was happening, I knew within the first 10 minutes I was on to a winner! Strange how things can just go right on the day.

EDIT: I also found the videos on drivingtips.ie pretty helpful. Have another 9 days paid for access to the site that I won't be needing now- if anyone wants the PIN, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Passed today on first attempt - 0 blue marks, 5 green ones - don't ask how!

Delighted! :)

EDIT: Only advice I have is plenty of mirror checks, and make sure you don't go too slow, get close to 50kph when in the zone, testers don't want to be brought for a dawdle!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fierceclever

Finally passed today on my 3rd attempt and I don't think I've ever been as nervous and then as happy in my entire life!

My first test just barely failed, mostly from going too fast because of nerves. The second was an utter disaster. I got 2 Grade 3's and about 14 grade 2's. Before I even started the test my hands were shaking so much I could barely get into gear.

The annoying thing is I'm actually a pretty good, safe driver when I'm calm but I was getting so worked up and anxious about the tests that I couldn't even see properly - it was like tunnel vision descended, I forgot everything I learned and I just wanted the test to end one way or another.

Someone on an old thread here suggested a self-hypnosis CD and when I finally reapplied I was desperate enough to give it a go. If anyone else is very anxious I would definitely recommend getting a hold of Pass Your Driving Test by Glenn Harrold - there is a track for the driving test and another for general nerves when driving.
    I used it over 3 weeks and found it useful for putting me into a calmer state before the test and feeling more positive in general about driving. I had a couple of mistakes during the test that would have sent me over the edge before, but I was able to move on from them this time. I don't think I would have passed without it.

And don't give up, if I can do it anyone can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Passed today in Galway on my first attempt, I'm absolutely over the moon cause i thought i"d failed for certain for various small mistakes but i ended up with a single Grade 2 & 5 Grade 1s.

If anyone out this way is looking for an instructor let me know, My instructor got me from never having sat in a car to passed my test in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Passed yesterday in Finglas and headed straight out to the NDLS in Santry. Also got a decrease on my insurance :D
    Absolutely over the moon, got 3 grade 2s so I'm not a perfect driver but the test takes account of that.
    My main advice would be - don't let the tester tapping on their tablet put you off - at one stage he tapped twice in a row and I just took a deep breath, reminded myself that you get 8 goes before you are out, and focussed on the next thing. Some people get by with no faults at all but if you are an average human being who makes a mistake, let it go, and get on with the rest of the test as well as you can.
    Anyone in North Dublin looking for a brilliant instructor, send me a PM, I would recommend the guy who taught me 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

Barely squeaked by on my first test today. Thought I'd been given a grade 3 at one point and lost my nerve a bit, would have been happier if I'd passed more comfortably but a pass is a pass! :)

Thanks to everyone on the forum - been a great resource over the last few months. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

long time looking through this forum, delighted to say that I passed first time in Finglas yesterday went straight to the NDLS this morning! A good few people passed yesterday that I was there with, testers must of had a good day. even drove for the first time on a motorway this evening :)

user.name wrote: »
    long time looking through this forum, delighted to say that I passed first time in Finglas yesterday went straight to the NDLS this morning! A good few people passed yesterday that I was there with, testers must of had a good day. even drove for the first time on a motorway this evening :)

Congrats I have mine in finglas on Monday, hope they didn't use their quota in one day.

Out of curiosity did you get any faults?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

JamboMac wrote: »
    Congrats I have mine in finglas on Monday, hope they didn't use their quota in one day.

Out of curiosity did you get any faults?

I got 5 grade twos, but the grade 2s are for things you might easily forget about like not looking in your blind spot etc. the tester I got was quite formal but he was pretty easy on the marking, but from what I gathered the testers seemed quite nice and you stopped being nervous in the actual test. once you are confident in your driving youll be fine. A tip would be to drive around finglas for an hour or so before the test. Oh and when you turn right out of the test centre, if you go down the road a bit and the first left turn you come across, it is really small and narrow, my tester brought me down that way id practice turning around that a few times, easy way for them to mark you down, i drove into that turn about 100 times before the test :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

I finally get to post here!!!!!

Passed today in Castlemungret. Second time lucky!!

Ahhhh I can finally drive on my own! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

passed my test last Wednesday :) first time lucky
    done it in the finglas one.

To be fair I should of failed, as I nearly collided with another car, he told me if it had been any other tester it would of been a fail straight away but it was the other drivers fault for speeding around a bend, so he let me away with a grade 2 for anticipation :) legend!

questions were straight forward enough, didnt know 2 of them but he never marked them down or gave me any minors for them?
    he was either in a very good mood or was told to let some people pass :L
    don't care either way I'll be driving from saturday onwards! feck the buses!!!

too anyone who has failed and reads this, don't give up! it will be worth it when you get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 michelle9319

Passed today in Finglas on my second attempt. Started bawling like a baby when the tester told me the good news :D Overall I got 6 grade 2's, but hey, a pass is a pass so I'm over the moon!

• Advertisement

Finally passed 3rd time in finglas, 8 grade 2's. Now I'm licensed to kill, I mean drive. Good luck to all who have it coming up.

I presumed I failed.

P.s if your doing the same route on the test don't presume instructions wait for them.

Advertisement