Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alcohol on Stena Line

• 11-03-2015 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi there,

I'm planning a trip for a few friends across to Holyhead, only I notice it says that you can't consume your own alcohol on board. Does anyone know does this apply to alcohol bought in the duty free on board?

A juvenile post I know...

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Fblawns wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm planning a trip for a few friends across to Holyhead, only I notice it says that you can't consume your own alcohol on board. Does anyone know does this apply to alcohol bought in the duty free on board?

Thanks in advance

New one on me.

I never known it to be a problem to bring your own bottle of wine and even ask for glasses at the bar.

Ferry is very relaxed anyway, i'd say its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

nope, you cant drink a carryout whether bought on land or sea
    Alcohol: No alcohol may be brought on board for consumption on your crossing. We reserve the right, at our discretion, to confiscate without compensation any alcohol believed to be for this purpose.
    - Alcohol may only be consumed on board that has been purchased from the onboard bars or restaurants.
    - We reserve the right to confiscate any other alcohol being consumed on board (including alcohol purchased from the on board shops), without compensation.
    http://www.stenaline.co.uk/legal/terms-of-business

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Fblawns

Thanks for the feedback, this is disappointing! I was hoping for a cheap and cheerful day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Thanks for the feedback, this is disappointing! I was hoping for a cheap and cheerful day out!
    probably the reason for the rule.

to be fair, the pints on the stena ferry are very reasonable if their service to france is anything to go by.
    Stella or Magners (aka Bulmers of Clonmel) about the €4 mark with deals on sandwiches and a drink and other stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Hi there,

Thanks in advance

There hasn't been duty free for many many years. God be with the days of the auld booze cruise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I doubt they have police walking around checking receipts. I think the main problem would arise if/when a group of lads arrived up with a slab of beer, plonked it down on the table, started singing rebel songs, etc . . . before you've even left port. I doubt they are going to do anything as long as people are "responsible".

z

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

nope, you cant drink a carryout whether bought on land or sea

http://www.stenaline.co.uk/legal/terms-of-business

I would say its not enforced, we took Stena Line just before Christmas from France to Ireland and everyone brought their own booze or bought a bottle of wine from the restaurant for 7 euros and drank that in the seating area.

Worst they could do is tell you is its not possible.

At a guess I would say the rule is there in case they have 'problems'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I never knew that rule even existed. I've been bringing my own, preferred bottled beers for years and never had a problem drinking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

You can do what you like on a boat. Just dont sit at the bar pouring your own drinks ahhahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 4 iste

My first post :)

You actually will only be able to purchase alcohol in the bar. A lot of the Irish sea vessels (Dublin to Holyhead) don't stock alcohol in their shops any more :(

As far as I know you will only be able to buy it on a ship that completes a longer journey ie Dublin to Cherbourg or rosslare to cherbourg. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

iste wrote: »
    My first post :)

You actually will only be able to purchase alcohol in the bar. A lot of the Irish sea vessels (Dublin to Holyhead) don't stock alcohol in their shops any more :(

As far as I know you will only be able to buy it on a ship that completes a longer journey ie Dublin to Cherbourg or rosslare to cherbourg. :)

Rubbish, i was on the Stena Adventurer last week and in the shop they had a full range of spirits

Advertisement