Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Text service being removed from Eircom Landlines

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,637 ✭✭✭✭altor

Talking to Rep also
    Also told it the same

Where does this guy get his incorrect information from

Trolling again.
    Ask your rep the work around next time you are talking to him :)

hatchman wrote: »
    So you propose anyone who wants the app unit should replace a working 8/12 panel just because its old. Being old doesn't mean it wouldn't co
    ntinue to work for years past it sell by date look at Gay Byrne !

In the long run replacing the system is advisable as they are obsolete now.
    HKC have come up with different options to work with these older system and newer systems. Cant fault them on that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is it true that HKC consider anything over 5 years old not repairable and recommend replacement?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Is it true that HKC consider anything over 5 years old not repairable and recommend replacement?

This is the place to ask that question.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lads keep this on track please, leave that type of question for the wholesalers counter.

Such questions can derail the threads and that can earn a user a ban.

Please report a post if you have an issue with it.

There are a number of posts here that are off the subject of the OP.

This is not a thread about hardware. It's being cluttered up with irrelevant posts and point scoring. Please stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭kenobee

I have a Europlex Signet 100 alarm installed 5 years ago. It has a text alert using my Eircom landline for texting me when the alarm goes off. The text alert has stopped working in the past month. I called a few intruder alarm companies and they have suggested installing a GSM text board but they tell me the cost of a board for the Signet is very high. I have come across this on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/GSM-AUTO-DIALER-2X-INPUTS-OUTPUT/dp/B00B9ABD6U It is an external GSM autodialler for £90. Is there any reason why this would not work with the Signet 100?
    Also can anyone let me know where I can get an engineers manual for the Signet 100?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The next big issue will be possibly be voice band modems.

As the networks move from TDM digital circuit switching to VoIP based exchanges or over the top VoIP running through broadband networks like UPC or Efibre, you're possibly going to see certain old modems disliking the way the audio is handled.

The traditional PSTN is in its twilight years.

The unit I am thinking of using uses the mobile phone network not the landline so it should not become obsolete as long as texting does not become obsolete.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any unit triggered by outputs will work.
    You could also upgrade the panel pcb board to give you IP. You would then have free alerts via email and a free app with free usage for the lifetime of the system.
    I will PM you the manual for your alarm.

Thanks very much for the info and especially for the manual. I thought going IP you would have to pay a monthly subscription to a service provider. Could you give me more info on the panel upgrade to IP?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

kenobee wrote: »
    I thought going IP you would have to pay a monthly subscription to a service provider.

Not at all.Thats just HKC who charge subscriptions & charge for every app. Providers like GSD Siemens Risco and now UTC all provide free apps & free remote access without the need to pay annual subscriptions.
    There's some good info in the sticky here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lads if people want to compare aps point them to the sticky.

We are trying to avoid flare ups between the installers here.
    I know a fact was stated and a question answered. However it's a contentious issue here regular posters know that is a fact.

If you'd like to highlight a difference between aps please direct the posters to the sticky that we've contributed to. Raise it there please .

You can address the question satisfactorily in that way.

Once again isolated facts will only hang there until someone counters them and before we know it the thread will be off the rails again.

Thanks again. I hope I've explained the situation satisfactorily. This stands for all users. Please keep the application based discussion to the sticky. That is why we made it.

OK Thanks KoolKid for the very useful info. I will think about it a bit more before deciding which way to go.

You are welcome. I hope the information helps. If you need any more help give us a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Interestingly, I got my phone bill the other day and normally I'd be charged 10 cent per text but there was no charge and the alarm went off and texts were sent within the billing period.

Interestingly, I got my phone bill the other day and normally I'd be charged 10 cent per text but there was no charge and the alarm went off and texts were sent within the billing period.

Count yourself lucky, have a lot of people on to me the last couple of weeks looking for options as they received no text once the alarm has activated.

Looks like is being phased in rather than a simple switch off.

Agreed.

altor wrote: »
    Count yourself lucky, have a lot of people on to me the last couple of weeks looking for options as they received no text once the alarm has activated.

Interesting, I tested it yesterday to make sure it was working and it still is. Hadn't planned on getting the HKC GSM-SC until the end of June. Has it been released yet or is it still meant to be next month and just to confirm it is compatible with the HKC Securewatch 8 zone?

Thanks...

Interesting, I tested it yesterday to make sure it was working and it still is. Hadn't planned on getting the HKC GSM-SC until the end of June. Has it been released yet or is it still meant to be next month and just to confirm it is compatible with the HKC Securewatch 8 zone?

Thanks...

Its still working for some people so it does look like its being phased out.
    It's to be in the suppliers in the next week, before June I have being told.
    Yes, there is one for the 8/12.

• Advertisement

Its still working for some people so it does look like its being phased out.
    It's to be in the suppliers in the next week, before June I have being told.
    Yes, there is one for the 8/12.

Thanks, can you let me know when you have one as I'd like to get it installed soon given that Eircom appear to be phasing out the removal of the SMS land line service before 30th June.

Thanks, can you let me know when you have one as I'd like to get it installed soon given that Eircom appear to be phasing out the removal of the SMS land line service before 30th June.

Will do, I was talking to one of my suppliers today and he said that they are expecting them in the first 2 weeks of June.

Will do, I was talking to one of my suppliers today and he said that they are expecting them in the first 2 weeks of June.

Great, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

altor wrote:

Any idea of price yet ?

hatchman wrote: »
    Any idea of price yet ?

You would need to contact suppliers to get a price when it is released.

They are to be in the suppliers next week.

They are to be in the suppliers next week.

Cheers, will give you a shout then. Got an email off Vodafone confirming removal of the service on June 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

Thanks...

Or.. You could always go the diy route and make your own Internet dialler (gives you remote access to the HKC panel over Internet rather than GSM)- see my other thread here :)
    Its still a work in progress, still to finish the sending an email when alarm goes off - but it works :)

23uaiv5.png

“Roll it back”

If you are considering the HKC services route the recent price changes may be of interest to you.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057374882/5/#post95808349

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Yep. no increases. They've actually decreased the premium plan.

Advertisement