Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Let me know what you think of my new website?

Options
  • 04-06-2010 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hey, I just uploaded a new website for myself, it's at www.loloray.com.

There are a few little tweaks that I want to do, like maybe changing the text and the gallery, but I would really like to hear some feedback.

I've just realised that the javascript doesn't work on any of the website at all in Internet Explorer (I usually use FF) - I'm using javascript in the left hand side where it has a Twitter feed, and for the homepage where I use it to display a random image. Works fine in FF, I don't know what the issue is but I guess I need to work on that one.

Anyway - all feedback or suggestions what I did wrong that won't let the javascript run on IE are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Lolo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

i would

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Adam wrote: »
    i would

Knobjockey.

Site looks good considering it's only set up. Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

on inspection the site seems nice enough, definitely rethink the gallery, the hover idea is nice but not the most practical solution, and has problems in firefox/chrome as well (if you hover to the right of the images the image still changes)

the home page random image function will only display four different images no matter how many times i refreshed, is there only four images to choose from or is the function a bit dodgey?

the gray space above the twitter app seems pointless, either move the widget up or put some contact details there?

all the pages have a scolling bar even though the experience page is the only one that needs it, check your css

and on a personal preference note i think you could take out the home and contact pages, use the info and a brief intro on the home page rather than just a single image, it renders your home page, the first thing people see when they get to your site, useless.

and i hope you've a sense of humour to compensate for mr overprotective above me there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

The random image is working on IE8 for me. Twitter also works but is on the right

Pink nav is good (works well with the black). When going for a minimalist style it's important to get the smallest details correct.

I think you could use the space on the page better. I'm viewing it on a 1600x1200 resolution and the logo/twitter feed are both lost in the far off corners. When I reduce the width of my browser to about 1000px it looks a lot better. Maybe place a centered container DIV around the lot and keep it at 1000px?

The header/navigation is not in line with the content on IE8

Gallery page you should have pictures on the main page. Perhaps link directly to headshots? Also, on the gallery thumbnail pages I'd load the first image.

Also I think you could improve the font/sizes on your content pages (experience/about etc). I'd include a heading on each page. Have a look here for some good examples of fonts http://spyrestudios.com/20-examples-of-dark-minimalist-website-designs-with-great-typography/

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

I'd agree with Adam that you need more on your home page.

This is just my opinion and I dont know much about modelling but there is one of your home page photos (the close up intense one of you, kind of greyish) which is a bit scary! I dont want to sound harsh or anything and I know its the style of the photo but it kinda reminds me of somthing from The Ring or something.

Defo no offense meant by this, I just think it may not be the first thing you want people to see when they visit your site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Why do you have a twitter?
    the left column should be present at all times OR you should have it underneath the header when needed.

also need footer with contact details

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭loloray

Hey guys. Thanks a mill for all the comments. Sorry for taking so long to get back here but the last few days have been manic, haven't had a chance to get back to the website. As it's not finished, I've move it to here for now.

Anyway.

@Adam
    - mmm, I liked that hover thing actually, interesting you don't like it
    - yeah only have a few random images on the homepage, it's just to make sure it works. May have to get rid of it, as I dunno why it won't work on my IE7 here.
    - I put the scroll bar there permanantly because the Twitter always takes a bit to load on the page , which meant that things (for certain sized screens) would jump around. So I put the scroll-bar there.
    - Thx for the comments on 'condensing' the site a bit.
    - Was thinking of applying for Google Adsense to see could it go in that space above the Twitter. Agree it would have to be moved up if I don't do that.

@oscallagh
    - interesting that the javascript is working for you in IE8. I wanted Twitter on the far right so maybe it's ok.
    - I take your point about using space. I have a smaller screen than you, and was trying to build the website so it looks ok on smaller screens than mine - but I guess that's no good for people like you, and I do believe that there's no point in having blank space
    - not sure how the header/navigation isn't inline for you on IE8, is fine on IE7, hmmm
    - Agree with you about the gallery, that page is a waste of time/space.
    - Thanks for the link

@ CRenegade
    - cheers, I'll bear that in mind!

@ Placebo
    - not sure if I agree with you about the left column (assuming I know what you mean), good idea with the footer.
    - I have a Twitter because I find it useful.

Thanks again for the replies. I will prob get to the website again in a few days and I will let yous know when I have updated it and tried to fix it. Wish I knew what was going on with the way javascript won't render in IE7 - I presume it's a problem with my code but I can't find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Some of the images in the gallery are bigger than the size they are being displayed at.

You shouldn't make the browser resize an image to fit a space, rather you should resize the images to the intended size using PhotoShop / paint.net / whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Internet Explorer has always taken its own rules on rendering web pages. Even simple alignments are screwed up. IE8 is finally in line with the others (FF, Opera, Safari, Chrome etc). Therefore if it works in IE8 and not IE7 then its not your code, or else you may have to make some adjustments for anyone using IE less than 8.

But hey, site looks great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.

oops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

loloray wrote: »
    Hey guys. Thanks a mill for all the comments. Sorry for taking so long to get back here but the last few days have been manic, haven't had a chance to get back to the website. As it's not finished, I've move it to here for now.

FYI

- interesting that the javascript is working for you in IE8. I wanted Twitter on the far right so maybe it's ok.
    Download IETester you can preview in most IE versions. It's not prefect but much easier than installing loads of different versions of IE.
    - I take your point about using space. I have a smaller screen than you, and was trying to build the website so it looks ok on smaller screens than mine - but I guess that's no good for people like you, and I do believe that there's no point in having blank space
    Check out http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp most sites are above 1024x768 now and I'd guess your potential employers would have fairly new machines (1440x1050, 1360x768, 1680x1050 would be popular now with new laptops/desktops)
    - not sure how the header/navigation isn't inline for you on IE8, is fine on IE7, hmmm
    The white/gray line below the navigation is about 30px further right than the content. Have attached screen shot
    - Thanks for the link
    Yeah I think http://designme.sk/ could work well for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The home page still doesn't say what it is you do.
    ocallagh wrote: »
    Check out http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp most sites are above 1024x768 now and I'd guess your potential employers would have fairly new machines (1440x1050, 1360x768, 1680x1050 would be popular now with new laptops/desktops)

As they say on that page, their site is frequented by people who are more likely to have higher resolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

ocallagh wrote: »

It's not the resolution that counts, it's the size of the browser window they use. You sohuld still design to fit in a 1024 wide resolution, or if you're skilled enough and it's necessary design a layout that's flexible (not fluid!) http://www.alistapart.com/articles/responsive-web-design/

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    It's not the resolution that counts, it's the size of the browser window they use. You sohuld still design to fit in a 1024 wide resolution, or if you're skilled enough and it's necessary design a layout that's flexible (not fluid!) http://www.alistapart.com/articles/responsive-web-design/
    I think we're both saying the same thing! My original point was to design for 1000px as 100% doesn't look great with all the new resolutions around nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Really interesting article. If only IE would hurry up and support media queries.

Apart from it being an incredibly long winded talking much about nothing "cutting edge web designer" blog entry, what relevance does it have to this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Actually it's far from it. The question of 'space' & resolution came up, and this article fits perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

@ Placebo
    - not sure if I agree with you about the left column

showing extra navigational items when and where ever needed, disrupting the pages visual consistency does not work well.

Actually it's far from it. The question of 'space' & resolution came up, and this article fits perfectly.

Here's the sum of the article.

CSS3 brings media queries. For example
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
      media="screen and (max-device-width: 480px)"
      href="shetland.css" />

Cool.

End article.

It reads more like a marketing report for a manager than anything else.

• Advertisement

I find those blog style sites from developers/designers a bit over the top. A lot of waffle on some of them

It has some interesting points, media queries and relative sized images. His example http://www.alistapart.com/d/responsive-web-design/ex/ex-site-linearize.html works well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Kev O C

I think the page look swell. Very dark but it works with the coloured text and the images you have in the Gallery. The Box on the right with the Twitter updates is a bit unnecessarily large but that's only if you're really looking for something to criticise
    Otherwise I think it's a nice site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭dotcom13

Still forbidden cant see it..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

dotcom13 wrote: »
    Still forbidden cant see it..

see below

Advertisement