Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ragwort

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

greysides wrote: »
    This PDF suggests that you 'Do not compost buds or flowers.'

Another PDF says this: Composting in the open is not recommended. If the composting process does not kill the seeds, there will be a risk of spread of ragwort. Composting should therefore not be used for disposal of ragwort, unless the temperatures reached are sufficient to destroy viable seed.

Pull and Compost preferably before seed is set. Compost seperatly and not in dungheap etc. cover with heavy gauge black plastic in old pit and let to rot completely. Works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Some of the more extreme views on countryside management are scary tbh - I have seen various propositions including freeing all farm animals and letting them live out their lives running free etc etc.
    I wonder how that fits with the free all Ragworth campaign :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Really odd that you apparently can't buy cinnibar moth eggs and hatch them out and go 'OK boys, sic 'em'.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

Really odd that you apparently can't buy cinnibar moth eggs and hatch them out and go 'OK boys, sic 'em'.

How much would you pay for them? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

I don't pull ragworth out. My farm is in a coastal location. I have a species rich meadow and ragworth growes less vigourously as a result. At this time of year the Ragworth would be loaded with cinnabar moth caterpillars. The moths/caterpillars survive well in an extensive management system. They will be mostly absent from intensive monoculture pastures (which sadly is alot of Irish agricultural grassland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

when reading the ragworth article did you notice the IFA got a wallop for not supporting the nomadic Beef solution proposed by NI Minister for Agriculture in one article

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

was finished milking early so went out to calving paddock and cleared it of ragworth, nothing like looking back and seeing the field cleared....bit of rain makes them easier to pull. Can top it tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

whelan2 wrote: »
    was finished milking early so went out to calving paddock and cleared it of ragworth, nothing like looking back and seeing the field cleared....bit of rain makes them easier to pull. Can top it tomorrow

How come ye have so much ragwort? Weren't you after it last yr as well?

• Advertisement

How come ye have so much ragwort? Weren't you after it last yr as well?
    i dont have as much as other years, i am on a mission to rid the place of it

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭raher1

It's easily pulled up, the roots are shallow. Throw it into a bag and burn when withered. No need for chemicals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

whelan2 wrote: »
    i dont have as much as other years, i am on a mission to rid the place of it
    I think I'm getting on top of my problem as well without resorting to chemicals. The trick now is to keep the beggars at bay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

raher1 wrote: »
    It's easily pulled up, the roots are shallow. Throw it into a bag and burn when withered. No need for chemicals

its hard to ensure you burn all seeds. i prefer Gozunda's suggestion of throwing into heap and covering with plastic on concrete until rotten just throw it in as you pull it , that way its rotting as you clear with no risk of seed accidentally being spread around or worse still eaten by wandering animal,withered ragworth is enticing to them for some reason and lethal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

After last nights rain its handy pulling it from the roots.Place it in old fert bags and let it rot away.

I said wrote: »
    After last nights rain its handy pulling it from the roots.Place it in old fert bags and let it rot away.
    they will be even easier after all the rain tomorrow

Advertisement