Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UCD Bum..again.

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

I'd actually love to know his real story, would feel like a nosey bitch asking though. He seems friendly.
    I don't understand why everybody calls him a "bum" when he's generally liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

Instead of talking about him all the time, why doesnt someone do something. Theres 1000s of people on campus if someone could send out a campus wide email for every student to donate a euro on a particular day discreetly as to not embarrass the man. The money raised could get him a residence, food and be in a position to maybe get an entry level job doing something as im sure hed prefer that then walking around campus all day. I think a well written email would generate a huge response could see it now queues and stuff. Major respect to someone who'll do it and you get to save/enhance a life in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I'd actually love to know his real story, would feel like a nosey bitch asking though. He seems friendly.
    I don't understand why everybody calls him a "bum" when he's generally liked.

I have never seen him talk to anyone nor heard of him talking to anyone on campus so I doubt you will have much luck there
    chave wrote: »
    Instead of talking about him all the time, why doesnt someone do something. Theres 1000s of people on campus if someone could send out a campus wide email for every student to donate a euro on a particular day discreetly as to not embarrass the man. The money raised could get him a residence, food and be in a position to maybe get an entry level job doing something as im sure hed prefer that then walking around campus all day. I think a well written email would generate a huge response could see it now queues and stuff. Major respect to someone who'll do it and you get to save/enhance a life in the process.

First years I presume? The guy has an arrangement with the restaurant and SU shops that he gets free food and drink. The man is well in his 60s the idea of him starting work now is ridiculous and I am almost certain he does stay in some accomodation nearby. The guy has been like this for the last 20+ years. Regarding a donation I think anything like that should be done one a personal level, not a campus wide initiative. If you feel the need to give him some money do it, I have seen it being done before; or buy him some cigarettes. Perhaps he will smoke a silk cut with you and you both will become friends forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I think anything like that should be done one a personal level, not a campus wide initiative.

That's the way to do it, alright. I bought him a few cups of coffee when I was in Belfield and the only conversation I ever had with him was about sugar and milk. Some kind folks also occasionally gave him carrier bags of what I assume was food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Donny5 wrote: »
    Some kind folks also occasionally gave him carrier bags of what I assume was food.

No that's their rubbish from Merville they can't squeeze into the bins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

saw him for the first time the other day, felt like i was seeing a celebrity after reading this thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Take a chill pill guys... anyone remember the "I'm in love thread" by Chewbacca around the same time last year - it was brilliant. I rather read this comical stuff rather than the usual boring stuff on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

I have lived beside UCD since I was a wee one and I can confirm that the UCD bum was around back then, bout 19years ago.

I saw him a lot near the Fosters avenue gates, because an elderly lady would leave a lunchbox on her garden wall for him and he would go off into the wooded area that is now Roebuck hall to eat and then return the lunchbox.

The story is entertaining but obviously false, nothing to get worked up over though.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Mauricmo wrote: »
    I have lived beside UCD since I was a wee one and I can confirm that the UCD bum was around back then, bout 19years ago.

I saw him a lot near the Fosters avenue gates, because an elderly lady would leave a lunchbox on her garden wall for him and he would go off into the wooded area that is now Roebuck hall to eat and then return the lunchbox.

The story is entertaining but obviously false, nothing to get worked up over though.:)

LOL reminds me of when the little girl feeds the monkey in "Outbreak"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 yehthatguy

Is this the 'bum' that looks like Dumbledore in Harry Potter or is there another one. One of our tasks in the Scavenger Hunt was to get a photo with him, he's quite camera shy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

yehthatguy wrote: »
    Is this the 'bum' that looks like Dumbledore in Harry Potter or is there another one. One of our tasks in the Scavenger Hunt was to get a photo with him, he's quite camera shy.

Can't blame him, would you like tonnes of random people coming up to you and asking you to pose for photographs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

yehthatguy wrote: »

What soc organised the scavenger hunt? Its bad form to target the guy for amusement. Anyone thats been in the college more than 3 months knows he's completely introverted so I can imagine he was pretty annoyed at a bunch of young people hassling him for a photo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Some shady looking guy was standing near him earlier on. Stopped me asking for change for his "grandad" pointing to our friend, as apparently he'd just come back from England..or something :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

What soc organised the scavenger hunt? Its bad form to target the guy for amusement. Anyone thats been in the college more than 3 months knows he's completely introverted so I can imagine he was pretty annoyed at a bunch of young people hassling him for a photo

It's on page 25 of the UCDSU handbook.

"13. Get a photo with Old Man Belfield (1 point)"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I know it's a joke but I think that's what the above poster was referring to. It still targets the UCD Bum. It may be jestful in nature but according to a person in the SU I was talking to, the prizes are actually real. I highly doubt that anyone could do everything though. Some things are ridiculous e.g. propose to a lecturer in the middle of class, walk into Th. L and address the class about how amazing you are, etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I know it's a joke but I think that's what the above poster was referring to. It still targets the UCD Bum. It may be jestful in nature but according to a person in the SU I was talking to, the prizes are actually real. I highly doubt that anyone could do everything though. Some things are ridiculous e.g. propose to a lecturer in the middle of class, walk into Th. L and address the class about how amazing you are, etc!

Reading it again made me realise they actually gave prizes for it. The first and only time I defend the union :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Rod Gow was proposed to this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 yehthatguy

Im not sure if it was just a freshers thing but we got it in some guide book that has a journal in it. Set by the S.U. though I dont see whats so 'scavenging' about it. Good craic though, not a hope of finishing it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

UCD Bum finally getting the recognition he deserves, refuses to discuss 'Pocket Money' version of his story as detailed in the OP in this thread.

https://www.facebook.com/HumansOfIrelandOfficial/photos/a.1436179263293259.1073741827.1435114070066445/1488986728012512/?type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭elgriff

• Advertisement
Advertisement