Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Flat" and "bedroom property"?

• 25-07-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

What is the difference between a "flat" and "bedroom property" when it comes to renting a place to live in?

Edit: I realised that this should probably be in "English". Any mod who feels like it could move it there. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

elpipe wrote: »
    What is the difference between a "flat" and "bedroom property" when it comes to renting a place to live in?

Edit: I realised that this should probably be in "English". Any mod who feels like it could move it there. Thanks.
    Bedroom property? That's a new one to me - is it that what I would have known in the past as a 'bedsit'?
    My uneducated guess is that a bedroom property is a form of accommodation which has only one bedroom - cooking facilities might be located in the same space together with a 'lounge' - the washing/toilet facilities might be located outside the living space and possibly be shared by other inhabitants of the building. That's what I would think of as a bedsit.
    A flat, I would imagine would have its own washing/toilet facilities, a separate kitchen, a separate lounge area and possibly more than one bedroom. One bedroomed flat, two bedroomed flat etc.

Don't quote me - I'm only guessing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

In the UK where I lived for a time, flat and apartment were synonyms, and a bedsit was not called a flat.

In Dublin it is different - a flat is usually a bedsit, and everything else is an apartment.

Don't know this term "Bedroom property" at all. Probably something invented by letting agents.

Advertisement