Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

shampoo/condition performance

Options
  • 15-02-2010 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭

Can this be affected by the water in your taps?

Example:
    I bought this fancy condition that was hailed in America as the best condition ever on many sites online. While I lived there i used it and found pointless. no better then the cheaper stuff.

Yesterday my mom gave me a pot of it she had got while in America visiting me. She never used it as I said it was useless so it had been gathering dust. Used it today since i had nothing else.

OMG

The difference!!!!!!! My hair is super soft and so so shiny!

The only difference as far as i can see is the water since the hairs the same.

has anyone else experienced this before?

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P21230&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=4221

there it is incase anyones wondering. Now i'm hoping i'll find more of the range here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

The harder the water is, the more difficult it is to make suds (as far as I remember from LC Chem!) so I imagine it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I find it depends on where you live in the city; since I moved to the west side my hair is dry and mank, and washing ti is so hard as there are no suds. Usually use the Aussie stuff, and it's got a complete opposite effect over this side of town :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I think Pythia's right there. My gym has hard water so my hair never looks right after I wash it up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Hard water is dreadful for your hair. Makes it so dull and dry :(

One tip I can give if you live in a very hard water area like me - AVOID shampoo and conditioners that contain silicone!

The silicone seals the water (and its limescale particles) into the shaft of your hair, making it look dull and dry. I've found that silicone-free products help a lot. Just look on the ingredients list for 'amodimethicone' or 'dimethicone' to know if silicone is in the product.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

eth0_ wrote: »
    The silicone seals the water (and its limescale particles) into the shaft of your hair, making it look dull and dry. I've found that silicone-free products help a lot. Just look on the ingredients list for 'amodimethicone' or 'dimethicone' to know if silicone is in the product.

Avoid shampoo with Silicone full stop! Blocks the pores and can cause hair loss! Certain of our well advertised shampoos are full of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

This is true, anytime I am over the pond my hair is so much easier to manage and softer than it is here!

It'd be great if you could get some sort of attachment for your shower to soften the water! Does such a thing exist??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Hard water is dreadful for your hair. Makes it so dull and dry :(

Thank god, its not just me who thinks this. When I lived south side of dublin I had lovely soft curly hair with a great shine but since I moved to the west of Ireland it is dry fizzy and awful only time it looks good is when I use the GHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

One tip I can give if you live in a very hard water area like me - AVOID shampoo and conditioners that contain silicone!

Can you tell me what would be a good one to try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

It'd be great if you could get some sort of attachment for your shower to soften the water! Does such a thing exist??

I saw something about something like that on Oprah a while back, and asked about it here on boards...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055727229

I was really considering getting one of the ones on amazon but the plumbing talk scared me off. It seems there must be more to it that screwing off the bottom bit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

stupid question ... sorry ..but how do you know if your water is hard or soft ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

water-hardness-in-ireland.jpg
    Seems to suggest most of Ireland is hard.

Can you tell me what would be a good one to try?

Off the top of my head - alberto balsam (which is <€2 in Dunnes), some Herbal Essences and some of the Aussie Range (I think 'miracle moist' is the silicone free one but not 100% sure), Lush solid shampoos, and the James Brown range in boots (the ones in the white tubes).

Pantene is the worst offender.

Advertisement