Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New nut and setup for a strat?

• 20-07-2014 6:39pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well lads, I've decided I want to bring back my fender strat to a playable level with a new nut and a setup. Where is there that would do this for me for reasonable money? The neck is in good condition, but years ago I decided to replace the but myself and made a balls of it. So now its time to fix it rather than buying more guitars!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

John Moriarty of archtop.ie in Milltown isn't too far away from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I have no personal experience of "Haze Guitars", but I know that he gets a lot of praise around here.

http://hazeguitars.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Could I just recommend getting a Black TUSQ Graphtech nut while you're at it? Works great with the Strat tremolo.
    http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/black-tusq-xl/black-tusq-xl-guitar-nuts

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cheers lads! I've sent off a few mails. Anyone have any feedback for the guy up in Xmusic? There's no rush on this work, the guitar is not in use due to it's unplaybility at the moment. So I could feasibly leave it in a shop for quite a while if they're busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

go to Gerry hayes, he's only out in lucan but you will be in the best of hands!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

I can recommend Dave at Sound Factory.

www.soundfactory.ie

I was in a similar position with my Tele copy recently and I was delighted with the work Dave did for me, new nut, adjust neck, re-wired pickups, cleaned and setup.

I dropped my strat in for a setup and he did a great job on that too.

(No affiliation, just very happy with the work done).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I can recommend Dave at Sound Factory.

www.soundfactory.ie

I was in a similar position with my Tele copy recently and I was delighted with the work Dave did for me, new nut, adjust neck, re-wired pickups, cleaned and setup.

I dropped my strat in for a setup and he did a great job on that too.

(No affiliation, just very happy with the work done).

Do you mind me asking how much you were charged for the above work on the Tele, I may get the electrics redone as well. Mine we done by me when I was 16 with a soldering Iron...which means it's absolutely pants! I have a habit of playing guitars until I wear them out or attempt to make them better and feck them up. I should really get them repaired and back in action!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

€80 for the work on the Tele, including a new nut, neck off etc. etc.

€50 for the work on the Strat which was just a standard setup (previous owner had tried to set it up and it was way off) so needed a full setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I've just sent my Strat in to Menapia Guitars . It's getting a set up and he's rewiring the pickups, essentially a pick up change tbh because I did it wrong and he's fixing it for me. There's also a new set of elixir strings going on it from him which are around €15 anyway.

The cost for me is €90, this covers all(setup, new strings, pickup rewiring and soldering) including a courier pickup and delivery to his place then back to you.

I've just sent my Strat in to Menapia Guitars . It's getting a set up and he's rewiring the pickups, essentially a pick up change tbh because I did it wrong and he's fixing it for me. There's also a new set of elixir strings going on it from him which are around €15 anyway.

The cost for me is €90, this covers all(setup, new strings, pickup rewiring and soldering) including a courier pickup and delivery to his place then back to you.

Getting a quote of around 150 from archtop guitars, but he's reluctant to give a proper quote before seeing the guitar. Those prices seem more inline with what i'd like!

• Advertisement

You can email him to make 100% sure of the price, he replied to me the next day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Menapia seems to be quite cheap. Gonna be sending a guitar off to Haze soon for a refret, and been chatting to Menapia about a custom build. Will be interesting to see what they can come up with

keep us posted if you are getting a custom, a build thread if you will!

he has made some nice guitars looking at the website.

I just got mine back, sent it 20nd and it arrived back 30th. Seemed a bit long but I won't complain he's probably very busy since he has a special courier set up for to collect for people all over the country.

The work is great, I honestly thought I did a good job in setting up the guitar myself but now it feels so much better to play and I def wired the pickups wrong because it sounds much better now in the same setup. He's very worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

horrified at the prices for a set up.

really gang, you should be able to do basic maintenance on your instrument.....

some people haven't got the hands for it Martin, and are too afraid to try in case they ruin their instrument!

Price is fair if done in a professional thorough manner as i'm sure you would do yourself!

what would you charge including a standard set of strings?

There are some shady operators though taking money for changing strings and feck all else!

i am not referring to anyone named above btw!!!

Advertisement