Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price of pint of Guinness

• 12-12-2012 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

What do you pay for a pint of Guinness post budget ?
    In my local its €4 but my friends are still having their favorite tipple for €3.50 a few miles either side of my local how can this be done ?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

€4.30 in my locals. Actually, I havent drank post budget, so I dont know what it is now

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pk82

4.10 was 4.00 robbing bastards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

€3 in McSwiggans in Galway. has been for more than a year now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It's due to go up by about 20/30c now (10c for the budget and another 10/20c) that Diageo are adding onto the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

red bull wrote: »
    In my local its €4 but my friends are still having their favorite tipple for €3.50 a few miles either side of my local how can this be done ?:confused:

It can be done because duty is paid by the brewery, this is passed on to the consumer in the end.
    If a pub already has stock of kegs, there is no reason to charge more.
    Any pub that did so immediately after the budget pocketed the extra. The same goes for fuel, when that gets increased and pumps immediately increase the price on fuel they have already paid for, that's profiteering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

CrinkElite wrote: »
    Must be the cheapest pint of Guinness in Ireland ?

Saruman wrote: »
    Any pub that did so immediately after the budget pocketed the extra. The same goes for fuel, when that gets increased and pumps immediately increase the price on fuel they have already paid for, that's profiteering.

Slightly off topic but the reason for that happening is down to microeconomics. They need to raise the price in order to ensure they can afford to pay for the next order of petrol and even out cash flow. Also if the price of crude oil rises the public will have an expectation that future pump prices are going to rise and will decide to fill up. This increases demand, which increases price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I didn't know they still had it so cheap.

Anyway where from €3 - €4 in Galway.

Might be one or two places selling for more than €4 in town, but I don't know any.

€3.80/90 seems the "standard" price.

€3.60/70 seems to be normal for Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tranceenigma

red bull wrote: »
    Must be the cheapest pint of Guinness in Ireland ?

O' Reillys Underneath the Tara St, Dart Station by the Quays in Dublin also €3 a pint, not just Guinness!

Thats not bad for Dublin rip off city center, pity other places cannot follow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I actually do not know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Seaneh wrote: »
    I didn't know they still had it so cheap.
    yep, roll out of there shteemin for less than 25 yoyos. the staff are sound and the pints are lovely and there's always a good fire on but the atmosphere can be a bit of a drag sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

What I cant understand in rural Ireland is the differance in the price of a pint of Guinness Eg some sell it for €3 very few I think ..? but many sell it for €3.50. While a more general price now post budget is €4.00
    The vintners association conplain about the number of pubs that will close but in reality its mostly their members that charge the highest prices ?
    A pint in Galway city €3.00 while in country pubs in North Galway its €4.00 In the city you have a choice of which pub you go to not so easily done in rural areas where the competitive priced pub could be 10 or more miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

The pub where I work is selling Guinness for €3.80 post budget and €3.50 for our regulars. Sucks that we had to put up the price but we couldn't really afford to absorb both that and Diagio's own price increases. We have kept pints of Tuborg at €3.00 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Subutai wrote: »
    The pub where I work is selling Guinness for €3.80 post budget and €3.50 for our regulars.

That's confusing. You seem to be implying that if I strolled in as a visitor, I'd be charged €3.80 whereas someone who drinks there all the time gets his for €3.50.

How can you have two different prices? Surely that's blatantly illegal?

That's confusing. You seem to be implying that if I strolled in as a visitor, I'd be charged €3.80 whereas someone who drinks there all the time gets his for €3.50.

It's totally legal, loads of high street shops offer discounts to regular customers via loyalty cards. Likewise, loads of places offer discounts to students, OAP's, taxi drivers, gardai etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Just as long as €3.80 is the advertised price. If you've read that, accepted it, and ordered a pint then you've nothing to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You could set up an arrangement. Get the regular to order your pints, and give him 15c on each pint he orders for you. At the end of the night you can give him the 60c you owe him, and then never go back to that pub again because whether you make that arrangement or not, you are subsidising the "regulars" by paying more than them.

Yes, our regulars, who drink in the place pretty much every day, get a lower price. It is of course at the discretion of the barstaff but they all have a positive relationship with the regular customers.

Nothing illegal about it. The price of a pint in a pub cannot be lowered during the day, that is true (this is why happy hours are illegal). It can however be raised. The price of a pint however, in the legislation, is defined as the price of the first pint sold that day; our regulars are always the first to buy so there's no problem.
    The price is advertised as €3.80.

You could set up an arrangement. Get the regular to order your pints, and give him 15c on each pint he orders for you. At the end of the night you can give him the 60c you owe him, and then never go back to that pub again because whether you make that arrangement or not, you are subsidising the "regulars" by paying more than them.

You could do that, we wouldn't stop you or anything.

You're not subsidising the regulars, they subsidise you if anything; because we can depend on them to be there pretty much all the time it allows us to have longer opening hours and lower prices than we otherwise would have.

Our prices are already the cheapest in our area, we don't have to offer any real discount to attract our regulars, we simply do so as a gesture of appreciation for their loyalty. Come more often and you'd get the same price they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Kennedy's on Eyre Square is also €3 a pint.

I was married down in Galway in April. My Dad thought it was his birthday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

3.80 in our pub and we didn't put up the price after the budget. Gone up to 4 euro in another bar I work in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Subutai wrote: »

Nothing illegal about it. The price of a pint in a pub cannot be lowered during the day, that is true (this is why happy hours are illegal). It can however be raised. The price of a pint however, in the legislation, is defined as the price of the first pint sold that day; our regulars are always the first to buy so there's no problem.
    The price is advertised as €3.80.

Not meaning to nit-pick, but if the first pint is sold to a regular, should it not be sold at the advertised price if that's the case -i.e. €3.80?

Or, are you saying the price of the pint is not the advertised price? If that is the case, why have an advertised price?

I'm genuinely baffled. My local has no such notion of supporting the regulars who have being keeping the pub afloat for decades past.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Not meaning to nit-pick, but if the first pint is sold to a regular, should it not be sold at the advertised price if that's the case -i.e. €3.80?

Or, are you saying the price of the pint is not the advertised price? If that is the case, why have an advertised price?

I'm genuinely baffled. My local has no such notion of supporting the regulars who have being keeping the pub afloat for decades past.

Legally you have to.

I have to say, I thought a lot of pubs in my area were flouting the happy hour law by having low prices during the day. Now it makes sense, absolute genius :D

Nope, it doesn't have to be sold at the advertised price, so long as we're not charging more than the advertised price.

I reckon your local should, it's a nice thing to do.
    Legally you have to.

I have to say, I thought a lot of pubs in my area were flouting the happy hour law by having low prices during the day. Now it makes sense, absolute genius :D
    Really most places are doing it because the Gardai have no interest in enforcing the legislation on Happy Hours provided they don't cause trouble (and generally they don't).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The law about displaying prices is pretty limited, they only have to show the price for 1 stout, 1 lager etc. So if they did have any legal issue about the signage they could just show the price of some oddball stout rather than the most popular one.

There are several tricks to get around the happy hour law, like a cheap vodka being out of stock all day, and only a few bottles coming in around 5pm and running out at 7pm.

rubadub wrote: »
    The law about displaying prices is pretty limited, they only have to show the price for 1 stout, 1 lager etc.

I'm fairly sure this is untrue and that everything that is served in the pub has to have a displayed maximum price. Much the same as a restaurant/offie/shop.

This is why the VFI give out price lists with the most common beers/spirits listed on them and plenty of space for others to be added by the bars.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Rubadub is right. Here's the law.
    4. (1) Subject to the provisions of this Article, every person who carries on in the State in any premises the business of selling intoxicating liquor by retail for consumption on the premises shall display a notice specifying—

(a) the price per pint or 568 millilitres charged at the premises or at that part of the premises, as the case may be, for at least one kind of draught stout,

(b) the price per pint or 568 millilitres charged at the premises or at that part of the premises, as the case may be, for at least one kind of draught ale,

(c) the price per pint or 568 millilitres charged at the premises or at that part of the premises, as the case may be, for at least one kind of draught lager,

Advertisement