Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strange Facts that go against the grain completely

• 19-02-2012 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15 YourAMentalist

Hot water freezes quicker than colder water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Racism is actually ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I know my father used to go mad years ago when we used to wash our hair in the morning before going out to school, he used to say we'd get pneumonia, turns out not remotely true at all, and yet I still dry my hair not matter how late I'm running, cos I just had it drummed into me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

The surface of the Earth is smoother than the surface of a snooker ball (if both were at the same scale).

• The planet nearest the sun is not the hottest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Australias toilets flow Counter clockwise!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Butter is good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Marijuana smokers do not tend to be alcoholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

If a tree falls in a forest and there are no women there to witness it, it doesn't make a mess

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Daroxtar wrote: »
    If a tree falls in a forest and there are no women there to witness it, it doesn't make a mess

Men think its more important to have a say then to make sense.
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Australias toilets flow Counter clockwise!

i think thats been shown to be waffle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

If London were a country it would be the 8th biggest in Europe.

In London's Trafalgar Square there is a tiny police station situated inside a lamppost as wide as a telephone box. It is just about big enough for one police officer to stand in. Not only that but many consider the tiny police station to be at the exact centre of the metropolis. Other people say the very centre of London can be found on the traffic island next to Trafalgar Square, where the statue of King Charles I on horseback stands and which looks down Whitehall.

There are no roads in the City of London.

If you consider the City of London - the Square Mile - to be an actual city then it would be the smallest city in England and the second-smallest in the UK in terms of population after St David's in Wales. It has a resident population of 11,000 - although 330,000 people work there.

England's smallest county is the City of London, both in terms of area and population. This means that, amongst other things, it has its own police force and is not policed by the Metropolitan Police. This means that the whole of the city of London is situated in two counties - the City of London and Greater London.

London's smallest statue is situated on Philpot Lane in Cheapside. Situated on the side of a building it is of two mice eating cheese.

Travelling on the London Underground for just 40 minutes is the equivalent of smoking two packets of cigarettes.

In Britain a pregnant woman may relieve herself wherever she wishes. Should a police officer be nearby, she may ask him to relieve herself in his hat.

In Britain it is only legal for a male to relieve himself in public only if it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.

It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.

Placing a postage stamp bearing the monarch's head upside down on an envelope is treason.

Sir Winston Churchill was born in the ladies' toilet of Blenheim Palace during a dance.

In 2006, the British public donated £20 million to donkey sanctuaries.

Buckingham Palace was built on the site of a notorious brothel.

In 1967, the British Government made it legal for women to scold. Before then, a woman guilty of scolding had to wear a scold’s bridle, or metal cage, enclosing her head.

In Britain is is against the law to impersonate a Chelsea pensioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:) Braking a mirror brings seven years of bad luck :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Strange Facts that go against the grain completely

:D;) Its impossible for Batsy to write small posts ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Men think its more important to have a say then to make sense.
    :pac:
    Batsy wrote: »
    In 1967, the British Government made it legal for women to scold. Before then, a woman guilty of scolding had to wear a scold’s bridle, or metal cage, enclosing her head.

Sometimes the old ways were better;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭kirving

Most "facts" in this strange facts thread are not facts. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

Travelling on the London Underground for just 40 minutes is the equivalent of smoking two packets of cigarettes

Why?
    I didn't think smoking was even allowed on the tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

A broken bone is stronger when it heals. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

policarp wrote: »

No it's not. It's of equal strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Why?
    I didn't think smoking was even allowed on the tube.
    The fumes :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

There are more English words that break the "'i' before 'e,' except after 'c'" "rule" than there are that conform to it.

A select few examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

monkeys arses look funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Why would anyone want to pretend to be a pensioner from Chelsea ? :confused:

I thought the reason for all that underground heat was the decay of natural uranium ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

If London were a country it would be the 8th biggest in Europe.

In London's Trafalgar Square there is a tiny police station situated inside a lamppost as wide as a telephone box. It is just about big enough for one police officer to stand in. Not only that but many consider the tiny police station to be at the exact centre of the metropolis. Other people say the very centre of London can be found on the traffic island next to Trafalgar Square, where the statue of King Charles I on horseback stands and which looks down Whitehall.

There are no roads in the City of London.

If you consider the City of London to be an actual city then it would be the smallest city if England and the second-smallest in the UK, after St David's in Wales.

London's smallest statue is situated on Philpot Lane in Cheapside. Situated on the side of a building it is of two mice eating cheese.

Travelling on the London Underground for just 40 minutes is the equivalent of smoking two packets of cigarettes.

In Britain a pregnant woman may relieve herself wherever she wishes. However, should a police officer be nearby, she may ask him to relieve herself in his hat.

In Britain it is only legal for a male to relieve himself in public only if it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.

It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.

Placing a postage stamp bearing the monarch's head upside down on an envelope is treason.

Sir Winston Churchill was born in the ladies' toilet of Blenheim Palace during a dance.

In 2006, the British public donated £20 million to donkey sanctuaries.

Buckingham Palace was built on the site of a notorious brothel.

Don't be hogging the thread.
    One or two facts at a time, please, to give the rest of us time to do a bit of head scratching and Googling. . .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

policarp wrote: »

Of course it is, a broken bone isn't going to be very strong now is it?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Goldfish are not gold, they are orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

If you throw your tv remote at your LCD tv the remote will actually bounce off the powerful magnetic field that is a by-product of flat screen technology rather than hit the screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

RichieC wrote: »
    monkeys arses look funny.
    And sexy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

if you drop something it might break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

dx22 wrote: »
    If you throw your tv remote at your LCD tv the remote will actually bounce off the powerful magnetic field that is a by-product of flat screen technology rather than hit the screen!
    Yes and if you jump out of a ten storey building you'll bounce off the powerful magnetic field generated as a byproduct of the Earth's core rather than die.

Advertisement