Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Champion Hurdle, 13-03-12

• 14-02-2012 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

Champion hurdle 2m Grade 1 Hurdle

The Champion Hurdle is the highlight of day one of the Cheltenham Festival and the most prestigous hurdle race run all season. It is open to horses aged four years old and upwards, and in 2011 carried a total prize fund of £370,000

Latest odds:

Hurricane Fly (5/6) , Grandouet (7) , Zarkandar (15/2) , Binocular (10) , Oscars Well (14) , Rock On Ruby (14) , Oscar Whisky (20) , Thousand Stars (25) , Overturn (40) , Brampour (50) , Mikael Dhaguenet (50) , Peddlers Cross (50) , So Young (50) , Zaidpour (50) , Celestial Halo (66) , Starluck (66) , Staying Article (66) , Dare Me (100) , Final Approach (100) , Flat Out (100)

Going with the obvious one here again and that is the imperious Hurricane fly, Looks better than ever this year and even 5/6 may look big come half 3 on the 13th of march. I've always liked Grandouet and he will be my bet w/o Hurricane fly.

Who's going to win the Champion Hurdle 115 votes

Hurricane Fly
    0%
    Zarkandar
    73%
    dougalFighting IrishbennycandymancalifanohandsfreeshanemortUnitedIrishmanjayroyalqzymodmuffinmailburnerTheMilkyPirateGautamaNultyWoddleRichieLawlorColonel SandersJohnerGavin "shels" 85 votes
    Binocular
    6%
    iggyctrl-alt-deleteredzerdrogGillingtonFirst Explorerhucklebuckkeysersoze0330 7 votes
    Grandouet
    11%
    darabbitSRFCLuapUrbanSeamixed upjjllitsnotmyfaultFryernantok93MattHeldersAngryBollixThe MolluscTobarcormick 13 votes
    Oscars Well
    0%
    Rock on Ruby
    1%
    mccarte2shy-tall-knight 2 votes
    Other (please specify)
    6%
    shaneward2004cheekitaaverage_runnerSpeak NowGaunty3ndahalfof6newuser89chris2bhoy 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Zarkandar
    Hard to put up any e/w alternative with any great strength of conviction. Overturn as a big priced e/w could at least give you a run for your money.

If HF turns up like he did in the Irish Champion it will be a cruise to a 10l victory. Winning margin might actually be a bet of interest over/under

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Huntey

HigginsJ wrote: »
    If HF turns up like he did in the Irish Champion it will be a cruise to a 10l victory.

He looks flashy over here because he is a speed horse, he won't ever look as dominant at Cheltenham because the track doesn't play to his strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

Huntey wrote: »
    HigginsJ wrote: »
    If HF turns up like he did in the Irish Champion it will be a cruise to a 10l victory.

He looks flashy over here because he is a speed horse, he won't ever look as dominant at Cheltenham because the track doesn't play to his strengths.

I think he looked different class over there last year! He will romp home again!

I think he looked different class over there last year! He will romp home again!

He is different class, but he won't be winning by 10 lengths on the bridle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Zarkandar
    Hurricane Fly will be more dominating in the race this year, can't see any horse getting with 5 lengths, just looked at last years race again on YouTube....what a race Peddlers Cross gave him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Zarkandar
    He is different class, but he won't be winning by 10 lengths on the bridle.

I think he will win this by about 10 lengths Huntey, maybe not on the bridal up that hill.

I feel he is now going to show us the superstar in him by blowing opposition away. I simply can't wait for it.

I have a much bigger interest in Hurdles rather than Chasing, which may seem odd, and Hurricane is special, no doubt about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Binocular
    I think the only way he could win by 10 lengths is if it is soft or heavy which is very unlikely, he seems to handle the ground better than his 2 mile rivals like in the Irish Champion this year or the hurdle race in Leopardstown December 2010.

Even if I am wrong I can't see Ruby shoving him along if he hits the front on the steele and the rest are under pressure as he will more than likely run in Punchestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eoghan_85

Zarkandar
    Only worry for HF is the chance that his temperment might get the better of him in the next few weeks. I'm sure Mullins won't let that happen and if he arrives to the track unscathed no other horse will come near him. Last year they kept him away from the parade ring and brought him straight to the post to avoid him getting overly excited. This didn't stop some English report for C4 I think insisting on going down interviewing Ruby whilst on his way down. Could see Ruby uncomfortable with her being there. Was roaring at the tv for her to F off!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

HF will be held on to as long as possible so it would be hard to put that much distance between himself and the field regardless of how well hes going.

Lot of speed horses in it this year, hope its a breakneck gallop and the big guns are all swinging away on the bridal two out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Binocular very impressive there maybe its going right handed thats the key to him.

His record right handed 1113111311 ( 8 from 10 )

His record left handed 211351342 (3 from 9)

• Advertisement

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Binocular very impressive there maybe its going right handed thats the key to him.

His record right handed 1113111311 ( 8 from 10 )

His record left handed 211351342 (3 from 9)

It probably has more to do with the opposition he is coming up against.

It probably has more to do with the opposition he is coming up against.

He was fav in 8 out the 9 races but just noticed 3 of the defeats was first time out for the season.
    Disregarding first time out runs it does'nt look as bad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Zarkandar
    Personally I think HF is every bit as good as Istabraq....

Binocular's race was a poor race today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Zarkandar
    Shane732 wrote: »
    Personally I think HF is every bit as good as Istabraq....

Binocular's race was a poor race today.

While I'm a big HF fans aswell your second statement is bollocks.

Celestial Halo has been in super form and is always a good yardstick. Apart from HF in the Champion, binocular will be best of the rest

Celestial Halo has been in super form and is always a good yardstick. Apart from HF in the Champion, binocular will be best of the rest

It isn't bollocks Richard. Celestial Halo is a good handicapper at this stage. He certainly isn't a decent yardstick when talking about grade 1 horses.

It isn't bollocks Richard. Celestial Halo is a good handicapper at this stage. He certainly isn't a decent yardstick when talking about grade 1 horses.

On ratings he's only 1 pound behind Binocular.

robbie1977 wrote: »
    On ratings he's only 1 pound behind Binocular.

For somebody who isn't a big fan of Binocular I do think it is offensive to the horse to suggest he is only a lb better than Celestial Halo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I dislike the horse, but my god evens was a gift there today. Was reasonably impressed. I think the 9's with hills is big, he's my idea of the runner up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Binocular
    Celestial Halo is a decent yardstick, I think he ran well today considering he won a tough handicap carrying top weight in heavy ground about a month ago.

After todays showing by Nicholls horses I noticed that Zarkandar is his only winner out of his last 30 runners. If the yard is in a flat spot that was one hell of a performance yesterday for a first run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Zarkandar

Agree celestial halo isn't a good yardstick..he's a champ hurdle horse of the past. His price of 66-1 reflects that in antepost factoring in the fact e won't e going anyway. Major over reaction in my opinion by ladbrokes. 9/2??? No thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Mc Coy on numerous occasions has stated that Binocular won a poor Champion Hurdle.Talking to Frank Berry last year at a charity event and he said prior to 2011 CH that Hurricane Run is in a different planet to all other 2 mile hurdlers if fit and ready.Would Binocular beat him his answer was NO.If Hurricane Fly is fit and ready in three weeks he wins,there is no form with any other horse to suggest otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Zarkandar
    ste2010 wrote: »
    His price of 66-1 reflects that in antepost factoring in the fact e won't e going anyway.

So you Know for a fact he wont be going? Where do you get your info?

Zarkandar
    kiers47 wrote: »
    So you Know for a fact he wont be going? Where do you get your info?

I think Celestial Halo is going to run in the World Hurdle. To be a pacemaker for Big Bucks to make sure Oscar Whisky doesn't catch him on the hop in a slow run race.

Zarkandar

He has won a grade 2 or better every season since arriving at Nicholls calling him a handicapper is bollocks. Im with Richie here. He is a very good yard stick.
    I think Celestial Halo is going to run in the World Hurdle. To be a pacemaker for Big Bucks to make sure Oscar Whisky doesn't catch him on the hop in a slow run race.

I think they will stick to the champion. His Cheltenham form is actually quite good so id say they'll let him take his chance for some place money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

In order of betting for the Champion Hurdle here are the offical ratings.Hurricane Run 173,Zarkandar 151,Grandouet 164,Binocular 166,Oscars Well 157,Rock On Ruby 158,Celestial Halo 165.Going strictly on ratings Zarkandar has no chance,infact the handicapper was not impressed after his win yesterday dropping him 3lb.Put pure and simple HR in a handicap would be giving the next best Binocular 7lb and the second fav Zarkandar 22lb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Grandouet
    Where did you see he dropped him 3 lbs? I struggle to believe that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Zarkandar
    Celestial Halo is rated 160+ & managed to win a handicap of that kind of mark on soft ground. While I don't think he has the speed for 2m any longer to say he's not a solid yardstick is ludicrous IMO & Binocular smashed him yesterday. Add in the fact that it was an after thought after Grandouet picked up a knock & I think it was a very, very decent effort

Last time I posted a detailed reply re. the champion the front 3 hasn't run yet this season so my opinion was HF would win if he lined up fit & well & I liked Bino without

Now HF has run in & demolished the Irish Champion, Spirit Son is out & Zarkindar has won a fiercely competitive handicap when Nicholls has warned he wouldn't be fully tuned up

I was looking at Binocular in the w/o HF market & didn't think he'd run again before the festival but may have missed the boar now

Also re. Ladbrokes quote of 9/2 they were 11/2 before yesterday so obviously don't want to lay it

Zarkandar
    UrbanSea wrote: »
    Where did you see he dropped him 3 lbs? I struggle to believe that

I've never in my life seen a horse dropped 3lbs for winning the biggest handicap hurdle of the year on his first start for 10 months.

So ya, that's complete nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Zarkandar
    Didn't explicitly say but think it was obvious, for me HF wins if he gets there fit & well

• Advertisement

Zarkandar
    sting60 wrote: »
    In order of betting for the Champion Hurdle here are the offical ratings.Hurricane Run 173,Zarkandar 151,Grandouet 164,Binocular 166,Oscars Well 157,Rock On Ruby 158,Celestial Halo 165.Going strictly on ratings Zarkandar has no chance,infact the handicapper was not impressed after his win yesterday dropping him 3lb.Put pure and simple HR in a handicap would be giving the next best Binocular 7lb and the second fav Zarkandar 22lb.

*Fly!!!

Advertisement